Who all are waiting for BME PhD Decisions?

noob49

Has anyone heard from Duke? I'm really anxious to hear from them. JHU sent me something last week asking for my transcript (something wrong with it) but that they would be making their final decisions at the end of last week. I'm guessing since I haven't heard anything this week that I was rejected...

Applied (BioE/BME PhD): Duke, Wash U in St. Louis, MIT, BU, GA Tech, Penn, U Mich, Northwestern, Harvard, JHU

Interviews: UMichigan (notified 1/11/13), kind of a phone interview from a prof from Harvard (1/23/13)

Accepted: GA Tech (unofficial acceptance 1/17/13)

Rejected: ?? :(

Did you apply to GA Tech bioengineering or electrical engineering with bioengineering option?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you tell me what kind of experience you have? Your gpa and gre scores? Cause I didn't hear anything back from Berkeley

Hi, I am an international student, and did BME in undergrad (Hopkins) and grad (Penn) in the States. My undergrad GPA was 3.68. After master's degree I worked in a neurology lab for three and a half years. I also have some publications in neuroscience journals, a couple of them under review. For GRE, I think they are only on average in schools like Berkeley. I am sure you also have great background, and I hope absence of contact from Berkeley do not discourage you. Gluck!

Did any of you contact the professors? I emailed some of them but never heard anything back from them.

I contacted most of the professors I wanted to work for, with varying degrees of success. 20% had really helpful comments that sparked (short) discussions, 60% were brief but kind (essentially: I look forward to reading your application), and 20% were non responsive.

Sample size: n=20ish

BU and UPenn were particularly good about responding, MIT was one of the less helpful. But I also just got rejected from MIT so take that with a grain of salt.

Just got the rejection letter from MIT...at least I got to briefly entertain the idea of going there haha. 0/2 so far out of 9 schools total. Next few weeks are going to be intense...

Hey all, I have applied to UCB-UCSF joing BE program, but haven't heard from them yet either. I have also emailed them through the website, but no response. If anyone does receive anything from them, please let us know here...

may I ask when did you receive notification from WashU?

may I ask when did you receive notification from WashU?

Sorry, except for Berkeley, I applied to Neuroscience programs. I did apply to WashU, but things should be separated between neuroscience and BME programs.

Hi All,

I see that some of you have heard in some form or another from schools I've applied to. I haven't heard anything either way so maybe they haven't gotten to my application yet? Should I contact them? I also got that email asking for more info from Case, but then heard nothing. I got invited to the recruitment day at UMDNJ.

Applied: Columba, Yale, UPenn, CCNY, UMDNJ/NJIT, SUNY Stonybrook, Rutgers, Case

Invited: UMDNJ

Accepted: --

Rejected: --

Stats:

BS GPA: 2.9
MS GPA: 3.9

GRE: 650(V), 790(M), 4.5(W)

5 yrs basic science research exp; Industry research coop; 2 yrs clinical research exp

2 published papers (3rd author); 4 poster presentations

WashU emailed on Monday saying (1/28) saying the decision would be available 1/30 - it definitely made me nervous but mine was an acceptance. Has anyone heard from Duke yet? I'm so anxious to hear back I'm dying. Do you guys still think there will be more acceptances/interviews to come? I don't know too much about the time frame...

On 1/31/2013 at 4:07 PM, sac830 said:

WashU emailed on Monday saying (1/28) saying the decision would be available 1/30 - it definitely made me nervous but mine was an acceptance. Has anyone heard from Duke yet? I'm so anxious to hear back I'm dying. Do you guys still think there will be more acceptances/interviews to come? I don't know too much about the time frame...

A couple people heard from specific POI's, but I don't think anyone has heard from the department.

On 1/29/2013 at 12:04 AM, krisavril3 said:

Does anybody hear back from Washington University.  I received a email saying checking the status on 1/30. Its such early, will it be a rejection letter??

On 1/31/2013 at 4:07 PM, sac830 said:

Did you both apply to the WashU's BME phd program? I did but didn't get the email about checking status on 1/30. I did check it however it's still showing as "Submitted". I guess this can't be a good sign given that @sac830 has been accepted. btw, congratulations!

Wash U emailed on Monday saying (1/28) saying the decision would be available 1/30 - it definitely made me nervous but mine was an acceptance. Has anyone heard from Duke yet? I'm so anxious to hear back I'm dying. Do you guys still think there will be more acceptances/interviews to come? I don't know too much about the time frame...

About Duke, the first round of interview invites have already been sent and people went down a couple weekends ago. I was part of it - they said that they will be sending out more invites for the next two rounds in February and March. If you've been contacted by a PI you'll most likely be going. 

For WashU goes, Congrats!! I've been accepted as well, and I am excited to visit - which weekend will you be going?

Yes, I applied to WashU's BME PhD program. I hope you hear back too!

About Duke, the first round of interview invites have already been sent and people went down a couple weekends ago. I was part of it - they said that they will be sending out more invites for the next two rounds in February and March. If you've been contacted by a PI you'll most likely be going. 

For WashU goes, Congrats!! I've been accepted as well, and I am excited to visit - which weekend will you be going?

Around when in January did you hear back from Duke for the first round? Do you think it might be around the same time for February and March? And thank you! I'm actually not able to make it to one of the recruiting weekends and have to go down on my own for one night. But I'm still really excited!

Yes, I applied to WashU's BME PhD program. I hope you hear back too!

Around when in January did you hear back from Duke for the first round? Do you think it might be around the same time for February and March? And thank you! I'm actually not able to make it to one of the recruiting weekends and have to go down on my own for one night. But I'm still really excited!

I was contacted by a PI in December and we spoke at the beginning of January. About a week later I received an email from the admissions committee inviting me down. After that a couple other PI's contacted me as well. 

Have you been in contact with any professors?

Did you both apply to the WashU's BME phd program? I did but didn't get the email about checking status on 1/30. I did check it however it's still showing as "Submitted". I guess this can't be a good sign given that @sac830 has been accepted. btw, congratulations!

Hey, I also applied to WashU's BME phd program and have not heard from them yet. ... Beth said the decisions will be out no later than March 15...so I guess waiting is the best thing to do right now...

Hey, I also applied to WashU's BME phd program and have not heard from them yet. ... Beth said the decisions will be out no later than March 15...so I guess waiting is the best thing to do right now...

Thanks for the info. Though I have a feeling that it can't be good, we have nothing to do but pray and wait.

I was contacted by a PI in December and we spoke at the beginning of January. About a week later I received an email from the admissions committee inviting me down. After that a couple other PI's contacted me as well. 

Have you been in contact with any professors?

No I haven't :(  do you think I should email them? I feel like it's pretty much out of my hands now, and I'm not too hopeful at this point. Did they give you any sense as to how many people they take? I'm just crazy anxious to know if it's an option... If anyone else has a "two body problem" aka are trying to go to grad school with their boy or girlfriend like I am, you'll understand! My boyfriend has two options in Durham and I have none. Frustrating!

I got accepted at Maryland and Penn and am still waiting on Cornell, Michigan, and BU.  Are decisions sent out later if you sumbit the application at the deadline? All of mine were submitted at around 11:59 the day before haha.

I don't think time of submission has much to do with it (unless you submit super early and the school does rolling admissions). Example: I submitted my UMich application a few hours before the deadline and I was in the first batch to hear back on January 11th.

I don't think time of submission has much to do with it (unless you submit super early and the school does rolling admissions). Example: I submitted my UMich application a few hours before the deadline and I was in the first batch to hear back on January 11th.

I see you have an interview offer from UW. What was your email like? It seems like their notifications come trickling out, so it's a bit more frustrating than places like Berkeley where all interview offers went out at the same time...

I see you have an interview offer from UW. What was your email like? It seems like their notifications come trickling out, so it's a bit more frustrating than places like Berkeley where all interview offers went out at the same time...

I just got the email today! Recruitment weekend is March 21-24. I called earlier in the week and they said they'll still be releasing decisions through March. Rolling decisions suck, but hold on hope.