What are you reading?

I really like the Trilogy. It helped to calm my (usually horrid) nerves down :wub: 'I listen, and the voice is of a world slowly crumbling, a frozen world, beneath a soft untroubled sky, and yes, frozen too. And I hear it whisper that all wilts and yields... beneath a sky without memory of morning or hope of night'. :wub:

I would like to 1. contest the truthiness of this statement (judging from the time you spend on this forum, I bet you feel stressed about the application process quite often, and 2. wonder about some other thinks I won't mention here. 

I don't even know why I'm responding to this but spending time on the boards is so not an indicator of stress. It's more of an indicator of a very boring, slow-paced job. I'm not engaging in any of the behavior other people seem to be (why would I check my email more than usual? What is that supposed to accomplish?) and this isn't a Thing in my life right now. For all the time I spend on here, I think this is one of the few (or only) things I have said to indicate any sort of stress at all.

I can't even make sense of #2.

My own participation has increased lately primarily because I'm trying to get through the limbo period before my notification-time-period begins. Which is soon. @_@

Currently in the middle of The True Story of the Novel by Margaret Anne Doody, and Bleak House by Dickens.

That's GRR Martin cartoon is great.  :)  I just read the first two books of the series this December.  I'm wary of getting any more involved with it -- not only because writing such long books is bad manners, but because I've waited 21 years for Robert Jordan to finish his Wheel of Time series, and I'm scared the same thing might happen with Martin!

... not only because writing such long books is bad manners ...

This made me laugh. :lol:

I love the TV series, and I read the first book (which helped me remember all the names), but I just can't get into the deep fantasy stuff. Nup, just can't do it. Speculative fiction, hells yes, but fantasy... Philip Pullman is about as far as I'll go down that road.

Long-time lurker, first time poster. 

Right now I'm reading (probably too much, I've been told) for my thesis: Gramaphone, Film, Typewriter--Friedrich Kittler, N. Katherine Hayles' Writing Machines and How We Think, and Obscure Invitations: The Persistence of the Author in 20th C. American Literature--Benjamin Widiss. That's the fun stuff.

To help me settle down I'm working through Steven Shaviro's Post-Cinematic Affect and the new collection of short stories by Junot Diaz. One of these books isn't like the others....

The logic of this statement baffles me. You are so wise to practice what makes sense.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but so far, very little stress/anxiety. I DO want to be able to make real plans for the next year (or more) but I'm not one for worrying about what I can't control. My schools are (judging from previous years) nowhere near notification so I think that also helps. We'll see how I'm doing come 1 February.

Moby Dick! (Dick... Dick... Dick -- BA DAPPAA DAP DAP DAP DA BAP DAP)

First time ever.

it's brilliant isn't it? :D it's one of the books which people like to make out as unenjoyable -- but it's wonderful to read

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but so far, very little stress/anxiety. I DO want to be able to make real plans for the next year (or more) but I'm not one for worrying about what I can't control. My schools are (judging from previous years) nowhere near notification so I think that also helps. We'll see how I'm doing come 1 February.

I'm feeling the same way, so far. It's quite refreshing after the stress of application season.

Currently reading Raymond Williams' The Country and the City and Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates (just for the fun of it). On tap after the Williams is Peter Burke's book in the Italian Renaissance. Also digging through some of Sidney's Arcadia(s) and Spenser's pastoral works on the side

Currently reading Raymond Williams' The Country and the City and Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates (just for the fun of it). On tap after the Williams is Peter Burke's book in the Italian Renaissance. Also digging through some of Sidney's Arcadia(s) and Spenser's pastoral works on the side

I'm VERY fond of The Country and the City. If you like that, try Marxism and Literature or Problems in Materialism and Culture.

I'm VERY fond of The Country and the City. If you like that, try Marxism and Literature or Problems in Materialism and Culture.

I second the love for The Country and the City. I used it in my master's thesis, too. 

First time poster here...

The only time I don't feel stressed is when I'm reading, so looking for some good recommendations! Just read through the Chronicles of Barsetshire and the Palliser novels. Caught myself exclaiming, "O Heavens!" the other day and have started to daydream about running for Parliament.  

Not good.

Need something new to read (preferably from this century). Any word on the new George Saunders? 

Any word on the new George Saunders? 

I've read a few of the stories as the appeared in magazines, I personally prefer the old George Saunders. But any George Saunders is still excellent.