What are you teaching/taking this semester?

Last undergrad semester at UC Berkeley:

2nd semester of a year-long Honors thesis seminar

"The Romance" - mostly 16th century stuff. I put off my pre-1800 requirement until now :/ bad choice

"The Mind and Language" - with George Lakoff, who is kind of a big deal around here so I'm looking forward to it. Should be really intense but fun.

I am NOT looking forward to writing this thesis...60 pages is more than I've ever attempted so far. If I'm going to be lurking around this forum until decisions come out, I would really appreciate it if someone told me to get the heck off the internet and start writing lol.

Oh, and Riotbeard, I love Stephen Crane :) He's probably one of my favorite authors from that era.

I am NOT looking forward to writing this thesis...60 pages is more than I've ever attempted so far. If I'm going to be lurking around this forum until decisions come out, I would really appreciate it if someone told me to get the heck off the internet and start writing lol.

Get off the Internet and work on your thesis. It's not going to write itself.

But I'm a hypocrite because I'm also working on an honors thesis. This comic pretty much sums up how I feel.

Besides the required classes for the honors thesis, I'm also taking:

19th-Century British Novel

Modern Contemporary English Poetry

Milton

Bible as Lit

This semester is actually going to be very miserable because of the lack of American lit classes. It's my own fault for taking all the ones offered in my dept already.

Keely:  He is my favorite Poet by far.  His poems are so brutal.  Also, my advice on writing longer works is to think of it section by section.  You are writing 6 10 page papers that feed into each other, not one 60 page idea (at least most likely).  That has always helped me with writing longer stuff.

Besides the required classes for the honors thesis, I'm also taking:

19th-Century British Novel

Modern Contemporary English Poetry

Milton

Bible as Lit

This semester is actually going to be very miserable because of the lack of American lit classes. It's my own fault for taking all the ones offered in my dept already.

I think that's the list in its entirety of the things that messed me up on the Lit GRE.

This semester, I'm just taking a Joyce class.

"The Mind and Language" - with George Lakoff, who is kind of a big deal around here so I'm looking forward to it. Should be really intense but fun.

Yeah, that should be an awesome class.  I'm not so familiar with George Lakoff, but I read his former student Benjamin Bergen's new book Louder Than Words over the break, which was very much about language, meaning, and the mind.  I think Lakoff wrote the introduction to the book, actually.

I think that's the list in its entirety of the things that messed me up on the Lit GRE.

This semester, I'm just taking a Joyce class.

That list covers almost everything important in English lit.

--- or should I say, the most widely studied and canonical things in English lit.

Edited by DontHate

This is by far the most ambitious semester I've ever undertaken, and I'm terrified. I'm teaching for the first time (2 courses), taking an upper-level theory course, and finishing my thesis (which I'm pretty behind on). And all with a baby that's under 6 months old.

epqdci.gif

Two sections of introductory composition.  I realized halfway through building my syllabi that I kept all of my outlines that I made for my classes last semester and can easily adapt them to fit what I'm doing this term.

tumblr_m3qoc5KQDm1rvspdmo1_400.gif

Yeah, that should be an awesome class.  I'm not so familiar with George Lakoff, but I read his former student Benjamin Bergen's new book Louder Than Words over the break, which was very much about language, meaning, and the mind.  I think Lakoff wrote the introduction to the book, actually.

Yesss it's one of our texts. I'm about halfway through it and I love it. I think the whole embodied simulation hypothesis could be integral for my thesis - I'm really behind in writing, but I want to look at the causes and effects of various deictic dynamics in narrative...the cognitive processes that influence an author to choose second-person narration over first, let's say, or to narrate in the present tense rather than past.

Yesss it's one of our texts. I'm about halfway through it and I love it. I think the whole embodied simulation hypothesis could be integral for my thesis - I'm really behind in writing, but I want to look at the causes and effects of various deictic dynamics in narrative...the cognitive processes that influence an author to choose second-person narration over first, let's say, or to narrate in the present tense rather than past.

I think the embodied simulation hypothesis is a really big deal, especially for people in the humanities, so it could be great for your thesis!  Plus Louder Than Words is very recent, so it'll give your thesis a cutting-edge vibe.  Good luck!

Edited by Two Espressos

Last undergrad semester and I'm taking:

Black British Literature

Law and Literature of U.S. Slavery and Resistance

Critical Praxis Forum (based on Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed)

French III

(plus a Senior Seminar/Portfolio class, but that doesn't count for much...)

Po-co and 50's Poetry. 2, just 2. After semester after semester of taking 3+ classes, I finally figured it out. 2, man, 2!  I've also got kids (a 3 year old and a 9 month old) and 2 jobs and...fuggetaboutit. BUT...also tutoring undergrads in Masterpieces of American Lit, Women's Lit, and Writing and Rhetoric!

I'm teaching two sections of freshman composition, taking Composition Theory and 18th Century British Lit, and finishing up my thesis. Once my thesis is handed in, I'll be a much happier camper.