Pittsburgh, PA

10 hours ago, RobGood said:

Thank you so much! Btw, the video is really good!

Anyone else have some idea about this area? Thank you!

As thetemp pointed out, the area you have highlighted should be a decent area. Regent Square is a nice area. I have a few friends that live there. If you choose to look in that area, you want to avoid being north of Penn Avenue. Also, there's a gray road that looks like it says Pennwood Ave. It's close to where you have the 8 circled. You want to stay west of that road. 

If you can, I would also Google the apartment, or management company to see if you can find out any information about if they are a good company, or not. Also, if you choose to not try to move into the apartment you have starred, but want to live in that area, be careful as there is a management company that advertises their apartments as being in Regent Square, but the majority of them are in Wilkinsburg. 

12 hours ago, thetemp said:

You're welcome! Happy to give my two cents as more questions come up too. 

Unfortunately I'm probably leaving Pittsburgh in the fall for school, but I definitely intend to move back once I'm done. Pittsburgh is such an awesome place to live. But don't just take it from me...

https://fitt.co/pittsburgh/pittsburgh-best-city/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/18/pittsburgh-health_n_4339476.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/11/what-millennials-love-about-pittsburgh/383074/
http://time.com/pittsburgh/  (this is a fantastic video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9dxURkKoVU (EDIT: here's another good video)

I just wanted to reiterate this. I'm not originally from Pittsburgh, but I've been here for five years. I'm leaving this fall for graduate school, but when I am done I will probably look to move back, because Pittsburgh is a great city with a lot to offer.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:43 PM, meggied said:

I know this question has been asked before but I don't think anyone has answered it. Does anyone know when places around CMU start filling up? I've been looking at Zillow and craigslist and was wondering if I should expect a lot more properties to show up.

Any responses?

5 hours ago, ankshah said:

Any responses?

It's tough to say. My experience with the housing market here in Pittsburgh is that folks looking for apartments immediately around Pitt or CMU typically sign leases 4-6 months (and sometimes more like 8) in advance of move-in. Usually it's like Feb-March that is the busiest time for finding apartments. For example, my kid brother is a Pitt and signed a lease for an apartment in north Oakland in early March for an August move-in. He was a little late among his friends in finding a place. I can even think of instances where friends found an apartment around Christmas time for a move-in the following summer. So the bulk of the action may have already happened.

That said, DON'T FREAK OUT. Apartments always open up throughout the year because of course things change, people move, etc  (e.g. I've signed my last 2 leases in within weeks of move-in, both in October/November however). It's just that now there might be fewer options and, consequently, the available options may not move as quickly since there are relatively fewer people on the hunt. So that's a positive. 

Maybe other Pittsburghers on the board have a different impression or experience.

Hello all,

I'm moving to Pittsburgh in a month (!!!) and I found an apartment I really like with Mozart Management (http://www.mozartrents.com/). I had the opportunity to visit and tour 2 buildings and 4 apartments before choosing my favorite, but they also allow you to do an "Instarent" online if you won't be able to visit before renting. The application and leasing process are very thorough--and frankly kind of a pain in the ass--but it made me feel like everything had been thought of and handled. Most of their apartments (maybe even all of them, I'm not sure) include utilities, so there's one less thing to worry about each month. They also allow pets in many of their buildings, but charge a pet rent ($35 for me, possibly different for other buildings). They did require my parents to co-sign, and it seemed like this might be their general policy for students, but they easily accepted my parents' middle-class income. They have an 'apartment search' tool on their website, so you can see what is available for your move-in date, in your budget, in your preferred neighborhood.

Good luck to anyone still searching for a place to live!

Hello everyone!

Got my acceptance from Pitt yesterday and I'm so excited! 've found so much good advice in this thread but had a couple of questions. First, are there any areas near Pitt that are especially good for dog owners? I saw a few little townhomes for rent in the area, which was great, but are there any dog parks nearby?

Secondly, my dog is just a mutt from the shelter but he's been  mistaken as a pit bull before. On all of his papers he's listed as a "terrier mix" because that's about all we know. How strict are breed restrictions in the area? I haven't had a problem here in Dallas but figured it was worth asking about.

Sorry for the double post but thought of another one. I've lived in Texas my whole life so I don't think I've ever really experienced a winter before.

What do I need to consider adding to my wardrobe before moving to a state like PA? I know "warm stuff" obviously, but specific examples would be nice because my wardrobe has never been focused on warmth. I also don't wear animal products, so what are the odds of my being able to continue avoiding those?

Hey @Wee_Animalcule! Pittsburgher here... Congrats! The dog-thing can definitely a bit tricky in the Oakland/Shady Side/Squirrel Hill area... I think it'll difficult to find something close to campus and affordable that is dog friendly. Not impossible, though! I have a sibling in Shady Side who has struggled with the dog thing... I can check and get back to you. Pittsburgh's public transportation is doable so you could get a bus pass.

In terms of cold weather, you can definitely get good non-animal clothing. For warm stuff you can do sustainably sourced down or synthetic insulation jackets if you can't do that.  I've worked in outdoor retail for years and can go into further details if you'd like.

Edited by Shnoztastic

3 hours ago, Shnoztastic said:

Hey @Wee_Animalcule! Pittsburgher here... Congrats! The dog-thing can definitely a bit tricky in the Oakland/Shady Side/Squirrel Hill area... I think it'll difficult to find something close to campus and affordable that is dog friendly. Not impossible, though! I have a sibling in Shady Side who has struggled with the dog thing... I can check and get back to you. Pittsburgh's public transportation is doable so you could get a bus pass.

In terms of cold weather, you can definitely get good non-animal clothing. For warm stuff you can do sustainably sourced down or synthetic insulation jackets if you can't do that.  I've worked in outdoor retail for years and can go into further details if you'd like.

Ah! Thank you so much! I looked on Zillow and saw a few that mentioned being dog friendly but I know that's not always accurate so having any direction to look towards would be super helpful. I'd like to stay close to campus but have an SO that is moving with me so I can afford higher rent for a 1br than a single person.

Hi! I got an admit from CMU for fall 2018 (engineering grad) and I'm looking for housing recommendations. From my research, Squirrel hill and shady side seems like the nicest areas. I'm an international so I'm not sure how to go about securing a house well in time. Any tips would be welcome! Thank you!

On 2/18/2018 at 12:52 PM, OceansAreBlue said:

Hi!

Any female grad student starting graduate school in Pittsburgh this fall or  already enrolled there and looking for a roommate ? 

Area:Shady side/ Squirrel Hill.

Hey I am new admitted PhD Student and will enroll on September. I am also looking for housing right now. And I am a girl.

On 25.2.2018 at 10:17 AM, haohaohao said:

Hey I am new admitted PhD Student and will enroll on September. I am also looking for housing right now. And I am a girl.

I'm a newly admitted MS student. Will enroll this August. Looking for a house now. I'm a girl

Add me on WhatsApp at +91 7299940437

Edited by Rajinarayan

On 3/10/2018 at 9:13 PM, strawberrykat said:

Are there any complexes or areas to stay away from around CMU? 

Looking for a quiet area (minimal undergrads), preferably a house, that's dog-friendly

Hi there! Have you decided on CMU for CEE? Are you a masters or PhD student? I'm planning to accept CMU for the same subject, masters!

Officially moving to Pittsburgh this fall to start the clinical psych PhD program! Super excited. I've only lived in NYC and DC, so looking at this Pittsburgh rent prices is like :wub: I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. If anyone knows of any good places to look or nice buildings/management, that info would be very appreciated!

On 3/16/2018 at 6:39 PM, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Hey, all - I'll be going to Pittsburgh to start CMU's LCS PhD. If anyone has knowledge of nice (or terrible) management companies they don't mind sharing, that'd be great! 

CMU has a pretty all-encompassing list that includes JL Land and Sterling as two top companies! My friends in Pittsburgh use Walnut Creek and love them, as well.

On 3/10/2018 at 10:43 AM, strawberrykat said:

Are there any complexes or areas to stay away from around CMU? 

Looking for a quiet area (minimal undergrads), preferably a house, that's dog-friendly

Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are quiet with minimal undergrads, and have plenty of dog-friendly housing! That's where I'm looking at right now, due to my dog probably coming with me as well! From when I lived in Pittsburgh for undergrad, Shadyside was always the place that my friends in graduate programs lived. 

On 3/9/2018 at 4:27 PM, HSRWannabe said:

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who were accepted into programs :)

I'm thinking of moving to Pittsburgh in July, depending on the housing options available or when I can find a roommate. Anyone thinking of moving around then?

Thanks!

Hey, congrats on your acceptance! I recently got into Pitt’s psych PhD program and will be moving to the city in July as well!