Pittsburgh, PA

Well, that escalated quickly.

If anyone wants some advice about living in Pittsburgh, feel free to PM me. I moved here two years ago and now help new PhD students to our department get situated in and around Pittsburgh. I am happy to help.

Edited by PowderRiver

Obviously everybody has different opinions when it comes to what to do in cold weather. I personally am bad at driving in snow with my two-wheel-drive car, so I'd be taking the bus. But others may be just fine with driving. We really don't have to throw names and insults around, though, do we? It seems a bit childish to be angry at someone for doing things differently than us.

Anyway, thanks for all the help with bus routes and detailed explanations. It is VERY helpful and I really appreciate all you guys helping. I think I will probably decide to live in either Squirrel Hill or North Oakland (if I can find a place maybe bordering Shadyside area). If I have any more questions, I'll be sure to PM you, PowderRiver!

Thanks!

Hi folks.

I just decided to accept the offer from UPitt and now it's time for me to look for place to live.

During my undergrad and also my research-tech life, I lived only 5 mins away from my school or work, so this would be my first time to use public transportation like buses for my daily commute.

I was just curious what a general rule of thumb regarding using bus is.

20 mins? 30 mins? 40 mins? 

For those of you who use bus everyday, how long is your bus ride each trip?

I found a really nice apartment, but according to Google Map, its about 40 mins away by bus from Biomedical Science Tower (BST) area, and I just wanted to know if you guys think this is normal.

thanks.

Edited by Science_Nerd

My bus ride is about 25-30min each day. As long as you're not switching buses downtown, you should be fine. We have people in our department that have much longer commutes than that, and they seem to get along just fine.

The only really issue would be if you're switching buses downtown, but that isn't even that big of a headache. The buses in Pittsburgh are pretty easy to use; most of the major bus lines pass through campus, and you just have to scan your ID and you're all set.

My bus ride is about 25-30min each day. As long as you're not switching buses downtown, you should be fine. We have people in our department that have much longer commutes than that, and they seem to get along just fine.

The only really issue would be if you're switching buses downtown, but that isn't even that big of a headache. The buses in Pittsburgh are pretty easy to use; most of the major bus lines pass through campus, and you just have to scan your ID and you're all set.

Thanks for the information!!

Also since, as others have said, busses seem to be operating from very early morning till super late at night, I wouldnt have to worry about not being able to catch the bus after working late in the lab.

I will then look for apartment that doesn't require connections. :)

I will then look for apartment that doesn't require connections. :)

The major lines through campus are the 61 (a,b,c,d) and 71 (a,b,c,d), and between the two lines you can find all sorts of livable areas. They all go downtown via campus. They are by no means exclusive to campus, as there are a lot of other buses you could use to get here, but they would be a good starting point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I've just accepted an offer from the political science doctoral program at Pitt. I'm really curious about neighborhoods. Everyone keeps mentioning Shadyside and Squirrel Hill (with some people chiming in with Bloomfield and Friendship). For the most part, my priority is to find something as affordable as possible while still being safe. I'll be moving with my wife, and I'd have a hard time focusing on studies if I had to worry about her being safe :) I'm particularly curious about Squirrel Hill at the moment. It's so big, though, that it barely counts as a neighborhood in my mind! Is there a particular part of squirrel hill that is more convenient/nice/safe and easy to get to campus from? 

Forbes and Murray are the two busiest streets in Squirrel Hill. The 61 bus line splits there, with the 61a and 61b staying on Forbes and the 61c and 61D heading down Murray. There are other buses that run through the neighborhood but the 61 is one of the main lines to/from Pitt. These two streets are also the loudest and most crowded in the area with bars, restaurants, the big grocery store, banks, and so on. The 67 and 69 buses run down Wilkins and I know quite a few live near here, though it may be a bit more expensive; I can't think of the line that runs down Shady, but that's an option too.

As far as safety, Squirrel Hill is very safe. There are a few areas of Oakland and downtown that can be a bit sketchy late at night, but they're certainly easy to avoid. Homewood and Wilkinsburg are not the best neighborhoods, but those aren't really on my radar. I live right past Squirrel Hill on Forbes, and have never felt unsafe. My bus ride is about 20-25min each way.

Hey everyone! My SO and I will be moving to pitt for his PhD at pitt hopefully in august. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about fairfield apartments? So far they look like the best option ive found for affordable ($1,000 for a 2 br townhome), great location (looks like its on the edge of shadyside?), allows dogs, washer dryer in unit... etc

http://www.fairfieldapartmentsatlibertypark.com/index.aspx

Kaitlyn721: I drive by those apartments every week. You're right across the street from a big Target store, and the buildings are very new. East Liberty is changing quite a bit and used to be a lot more run down. There is a ton of new construction in the area, and the addition of a lot of new restaurants and business (Google, Trader Joe's, and a lot of new offices are right up the street in Bakery Square, which is adding another huge office building). I imagine noise will be your biggest concern, as the intersection of Penn and Centre is very busy. There are lots of bus route nearby for quick trips to and from campus.

Unfortunately I can't speak to the neighborhood as far as climate and safety, but I don't think it would be a concern at all; you're far enough away from Homewood and some of the sketchier neighborhoods to the northeast. Anyone live in or near East Liberty that can comment on it?

My favorite burger in town (BRGR) is about a block from these apartments. 

Thanks PowderRiver- That's very helpful. From your post and another person I've talked to, it seems like you're right, that it is located on the edge of shadyside and east liberty, in a sort of transitional location. From what I can tell, everything to the west of it looks great- the target, lots of shopping, bars, delicious restaurants, bus transportation. I'd love to move into one of the older, renovated rowhouses eventually, I just won't be able to see anywhere in person until after I move to pitt, so am hoping to find a predictably stable and well located place for our first year.

For anyone else still struggling, I plan on calling Fairfield tomorrow with a few more questions, I'll let you all know what I hear!

Hello, 

I'm considering on renting an apartment with the Walnut Capital. It seems that they have multiple units all over the city and with diverse quality and price ranges. So far, I'm pleased with their response speed and detailedness of their units.

I've inquired about their apartments on Neville st. They said they have another unit on Bellefont St. 

Does anyone know the quality of neighborhood around these streets?

For those of you who are more familiar with the city,

Are there any good places for grad students to live close to UPMC? (region and apartment names) I've heard that Oakland is an undergrad concentrated area and grad students do not like to live there.  While I would like to live in Shadyside, I am also considering the proximity and convenience of short commutes.

Thank you in advance!

It looks like the fairfield apartments and townhouses are largely a part of a subsidized housing project, with about 2/3rds of renters looking like they are subsidizing. From what I can tell, despite how nice it looks, its really more a part of East Liberty than Shadyside. 

I also came across those Neville apts through walnut capital- I sent them an email inquiring more information so I'm hoping to hear back soon! Finding a 2 br apt with a washer and dryer in the unit (as opposed to coin laundry in the building) in shadyside or squirrel hill through a decent rental company is looking next to impossible. I'm beginning to think I might end up with coin laundry for the first year until I can go check out some of the rowhouses or townhomes that have washer dryer hookups in person for year 2.

• 10 months later...

I am bumping up this thread! Hoping that there are others heading to Pittsburgh this fall and/or those who are already familiar with the city. 

My main question is, how is it to live in Pittsburgh without a car? I am from the West, where car is essential, so I am a bit worried about not having a car for grad school. But given that the East Coast is better in its transportation, is it possible live in Pittsburgh for 5 to 7 years without a car? I am planning to get an apartment around UPitt, so I can just walk or take a bus (based on reading some posts here from past years). But I could not find information in general about living in the city without a car. Can someone share his/her experience?

I am bumping up this thread! Hoping that there are others heading to Pittsburgh this fall and/or those who are already familiar with the city. 

My main question is, how is it to live in Pittsburgh without a car? I am from the West, where car is essential, so I am a bit worried about not having a car for grad school. But given that the East Coast is better in its transportation, is it possible live in Pittsburgh for 5 to 7 years without a car? I am planning to get an apartment around UPitt, so I can just walk or take a bus (based on reading some posts here from past years). But I could not find information in general about living in the city without a car. Can someone share his/her experience?

Heya!  I'm a born-and-raised Pittsburgher and I can tell you that it depends on how much transportation convenience you would like.

The public transit service within East Pittsburgh is pretty good, considering the 7+ colleges and universities within a 5-mile radius. Everything is pretty close by and it's not too much trouble to get all the things you would need for your everyday.  There is also public transit service for the airport and major shopping centers.  However, there is the added convenience of being able to shop in bulk and put your shoppings into a car.  

If you would want to go outside of East Pittsburgh, having a car or having access to a ride is essential.  The public transit service is not so great as you get further away from the colleges and inner-city.  For instance, if you were trying to travel to West Pittsburgh or the suburbs, the buses could run from every hour to every 3 hours with a last bus being around 9-10pm, depending on where exactly you wish to go. Most of the time, they don't even reach neighborhoods or boroughs due to low demand of public transit service.  

The public transit service is improving a bit as the city tries to move towards being more eco-friendly and more people being tired of paying extra on car maintenance for poor infrastructure. (Pittsburgh has potholes and construction EVERYWHERE!)

TL;DR: You can live in Pittsburgh without a car if you have generous friends or a ZipCar-like deal to take you outside the inner-city when need be.  Things are changing and improving so you may get lucky with having better public transit service than what I've described in that time frame.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2015 at 10:47 PM, John Richard said:

Just got accepted to GSPIA, anyone else getting into there? Also, any good apartment tips?

Areas of Interest for Looking for Apartments:

As far as neighborhoods go, Bloomfield and Shadyside are good neighborhoods for good transportation and reasonable rental prices.  You could also try your luck with Squirrel Hill or Point Breeze, but these neighborhoods tend to be more expensive.  If all else fails and you cannot find housing in those areas, it doesn't hurt to look into the neighborhoods of Highland Park or East Liberty.  Although they aren't as public transportation-friendly as the previous neighborhoods, it's still fairly good.

Avoid living in Oakland if you like quiet hours to focus on your graduate school work.  The housing there also tends to be overpriced because the local landlords know they'll get any college student willing to pay to be close to campus.

Things to Know about Pittsburgh-area Apartments, in general:

Pittsburgh has a mix bag of types of apartments, from complexes to old Victorian houses converted into apartments.  In the forementioned neighborhoods, this is no exception.  I recommend making sure what your rent includes and doesn't include.  It is rather rare to find apartments that include heating into the rent.  If you are not familiar with Northeast to Mid-Atlantic winters, you can expect to pay a pretty penny for heating during the winter season.  

It is also important to consider if the apartment you'd rent will have either off-street or on-street parking.  Pittsburgh streets tend to be narrow, even the two-way streets.  So if you have or are planning to have a car, I would recommend trying to find housing that has off-street parking.

It also doesn't hurt to contact your department graduate secretary about off-campus housing.  They may point you in the right direction and possibly connect you with current students to get a better idea of the housing situation.

I hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, got accepted into CMU for a PhD program. Now I'm faced with the dilemma of actually moving across the country to Pittsburgh.

But all in all, things don't look too bad, aside from the usual moving stress. I'm now faced with a new problem actually: I'd ideally like an apartment (2bed 2bath, 1bed 1bath, whatever works, I just want to be pointed in the right direction) inside a modern-ish building with the following apparently impossible list of amenities:

A gas stove.
In unit washer/dryer
Washing Machine
Air Conditioning
Garage parking.
Good insulation
~10 min Walking distance to Mellon Institute Library OR sub 20 minute driving commute to a parking garage nearby

The strange thing is I just can't seem to find _anywhere_ with a combination of those things, and I've been looking around on padmapper. Sure, I might be premature, looking for an apartment now for a program starting in August, but it's better to be overprepared than underprepared, no?

Hello, got accepted into CMU for a PhD program. Now I'm faced with the dilemma of actually moving across the country to Pittsburgh.

But all in all, things don't look too bad, aside from the usual moving stress. I'm now faced with a new problem actually: I'd ideally like an apartment (2bed 2bath, 1bed 1bath, whatever works, I just want to be pointed in the right direction) inside a modern-ish building with the following apparently impossible list of amenities:

A gas stove.

In unit washer/dryer

Washing Machine

Air Conditioning

Garage parking.

Good insulation

~10 min Walking distance to Mellon Institute Library OR sub 20 minute driving commute to a parking garage nearby

The strange thing is I just can't seem to find _anywhere_ with a combination of those things, and I've been looking around on padmapper. Sure, I might be premature, looking for an apartment now for a program starting in August, but it's better to be overprepared than underprepared, no?

There are apartment complexes that have those amenities, but I don't think there are any near where you were talking. If you find a place in the innercity of Pittsburgh, the buses run pretty well so I wouldn't stress too much about location.

Trust me, it's better to be over prepared in this scenario, because Pittsburgh is a college city and everyone is looking now. Get in contact with some CMU students because they would know better than I.

Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

You should look in the neighborhoods of Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Greenfield, and Regents Square. All of these have multiple bus lines that go into campus. I currently live in Squirrel Hill and love it--a sort of long walk to campus, but you have 4 bus routes, and a good street with a couple great bars and a grocery store.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2015 at 7:32 PM, echo449 said:

You should look in the neighborhoods of Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Greenfield, and Regents Square. All of these have multiple bus lines that go into campus. I currently live in Squirrel Hill and love it--a sort of long walk to campus, but you have 4 bus routes, and a good street with a couple great bars and a grocery store. 

Bloomfield is inexpensive, centrally located (close to the fun neighborhoods of Lawrenceville and Shadyside), and has lots of bookstores, cafes, restaurants, bars, etc. It's go the additional benefit of having a good mix of young people (but not tons of partying undergrads) and also strong community of older residents. On top of all that, it's well-serviced by bus routes running all over town. I think it's the best neighborhood in the city for students.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2016 at 9:50 PM, sugarandspice said:

strongly considering UPitt and already looking at apartments in the area! i have never been there though. where do most students live? is it easy to make friends? 

I don't have specific places in mind for you to look, but I know the area well. The main campus is in Oakland and there are quite a few housing options there.  Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are very close (easily walkable to campus) and often more affordable housing and many students live there.  Pitt IDs also function as a port authority pass, so busses are free and fairly convenient in the area. Bloomfield is close enough and there are decent places there.  It's got a bit of a reputation as hipster territory.  Beyond that, there's Garfield and East Liberty, which I'd generally advise to stay away from.  South Side is close across the river but very expensive to live in. It's an area with a bunch of bars, so it's a big party spot on weekends. 

It's very much a college town with several large universities in the area, so there's always events or something going on and there's a lot of cool cultural things to see around the city.  I'd say it should be pretty easy to find your scene and make friends in the area.