Quiet Appreciation

MDLee

The last few days have been a roller coaster. Thesis stress, rejection letters piling up, deadlines and more deadlines. And I've heard all of the pep talk stuff that my family gives me and the "It'll be okay, the next one will want you" from my colleagues...

and I have got to say that there are two things I appreciate more than anything else right now:

(1) this board. You guys get it...and we're keeping each other amused at the very least.

-and-

(2) the one person who sits there quietly while I vent frustration, indignation, and sadness...then continues to sit quietly when I cry...and continues to sit quietly when I sit quietly...and who then offers to walk me across the campus to pick up dinner. Sometimes, silence is the best solution. It has been brilliant to know that this person is there, not giving me false pity or fake advice but just...listening.

Without these two things, I think I'd go nutty. So...as cheesy as it sounds...

Thanks guys.

I agree.

What is worse than well meaning advice from friends or peers is well meaning advice from people who are already where you want to be. My friend just finished her exams and is officially ABD. I'm like, do not even talk to me right now I do not want to hear it. I'm very proud of you and you are awesome and let's talk about how awesome you are and not about how the next school will want me and how we can analyze my application/their process/the alignment of Mercury.

I definitely appreciate this forum and all of you!

Most of my friends have already been accepted to at least one program, even though almost all of them have lower credentials than I do, which is making me bitter since I haven't been accepted yet(though I am proud of/happy for them). It's nice to have other people understand exactly what I am going through.

Most of my friends have already been accepted to at least one program, even though almost all of them have lower credentials than I do, which is making me bitter since I haven't been accepted yet(though I am proud of/happy for them). It's nice to have other people understand exactly what I am going through.
Totally hear you. Outside: :D Ohh I'm so happy for you it's such a great program! Inside: :evil: Godamit I KNOW I had a better chance than you, WTF, you lucky sonuva-----

Yeah, too bad we don't all live in the same place, we could all go out for drinks. =)
Now that's what I'm talking about.

I say that when this is all over we should all plan a meet/greet for the forum :D You all can come to Vegas--then we'll all go out and drink while we set fire to the mound of rejection letters... Yay for controlled arson :)

While we're at it, we can firm up the conditions for GradCafeU...

sounds like a plan. Vegas, in May?

lol. Don't bother about such stuff, be an angel... :wink:

There are no angels in grad school applications. There are people who totally didn't deserve to get in (The ones for whom I think: "Your GRE sucked, your grades sucked, your research is bland and overdone....") but get in anyway..

and then there's me.

sigh.

I say that when this is all over we should all plan a meet/greet for the forum :D You all can come to Vegas--then we'll all go out and drink while we set fire to the mound of rejection letters... Yay for controlled arson :)

While we're at it, we can firm up the conditions for GradCafeU...

sounds like a plan. Vegas, in May?

Yes, please.

I couldn't agree more with ALL of this. This forum has been my saving grace this week. Even though you guys are all total strangers to me, it is so much easier going through this and knowing we are ALL in this boat- none of us are alone, and it seems we really are all going through exactly the same thing. I had (yet another) total meltdown about all of this stuff last night and the first thing I did this morning was to come to thegradcafe to see how everyone else is doing. So thanks from me too!

And, it would be so great to all go out together! That bar wouldn't know what hit it!

REJECTED GRAD STUDENTS OF THE WORLD, UNITE AND TAKE OVER! :D

I dunno about you, but I treasure and keep all my rejection letters. :)

I have mine taped on my wall right now...but I'm beginning to run out of wall space. :wink:

I am planning an awesome art project with my acceptance letters. I hope it works out (unlike going to grad school)! I'll keep you posted.

We should make a quilt.

There are no angels in grad school applications. There are people who totally didn't deserve to get in (The ones for whom I think: "Your GRE sucked, your grades sucked, your research is bland and overdone....") but get in anyway..

and then there's me.

sigh.

Exactly! I just keep thinking that I did everything I was supposed to do, yet all I'm getting is rejections. Meanwhile some people have barely made the cutoffs and have been accepted! It's great they got in and all, but what is wrong with my apps then?

The comforting lie I tell myself is that maybe the faculty member I would be working with is leaving soon or has too many grad students right now or some such thing. It only works a few times, though. Then you just start to think u haz teh dumbz.

ETA- Next year if I have to do this again, I'm writing my personal statement in LoLCat speak. IM IN UR GRAD SKOOL REEDIN UR BUKS!

The comforting lie I tell myself is that maybe the faculty member I would be working with is leaving soon or has too many grad students right now or some such thing. It only works a few times, though. Then you just start to think u haz teh dumbz.

ETA- Next year if I have to do this again, I'm writing my personal statement in LoLCat speak. IM IN UR GRAD SKOOL REEDIN UR BUKS!

i'm in ur apps pile, bein overlookd. =( haha.

HELL YES.

I can haz PhD?

I'm in ur program stealin your knowledge

guys, I think we've really got the makings of a new website here... :D

one more for procrastination's sake (before I scurry back to work...sigh):

im in ur inbox, askin ma status

Yes, that I think takes the cake :)

Aw, I threw mine in the recycling. Combining them with everyone else's and setting them alight would've totally PWNED.

But hey...if we're just going to be in Vegas anyway, why don't we drive out to the middle of the desert and make the whole thing our own version of the Burning Man festival? (I mean, heck, we couldn't get any weirder than that.)