What should I consider before canceling an interview?

GingerbreadLatte

I'm on the verge of canceling one of my interviews because I've had the good fortune of being accepted, with funding, to a considerably better school (in terms of research fit, US News rank, and geographic location).

At the same time I'm open to the possibility there may be something amazing about this lesser school that I would discover only by interviewing.

Should I hold out for this possibility? Is there even anything to consider aside from fit, rank, and location?

If it's financially not an issue for you, or you could possibly get a phone/skype interview, I would still take it.  Unless you are absolutely positive you don't want to go there.  But, I would assume there's something that attracted you to it, since you applied.  You never know what they have to offer, that you may learn of in the interview, and if anything it's always nice to have that possible back up.  Perhaps they may offer a better funding package, or there's something they're researching that you never knew about because you haven't talked as much with PI extensively?  While, I still think fit is the #1 factor, it still doesn't hurt to learn more about the program.  

Unless you are absolutely positive you don't want to go there.

I'm almost sure. :DSide note: my fondest memory of intro statistics was learning that 0% does not mean impossible.

Funding wise, they'd have to offer millions to overcome the chasm in prestige and locale. Research wise, nothing stands out from faculty profiles - is there any secret and profoundly exciting government contracted work they could reveal only at interviews?

Financially, I would prefer not to go. They barely offered to reimburse travel costs. I'd have to pay out of pocket for a hotel. Obviously the cost is worthwhile if it means I'll fall in love with the program. I just can't see myself falling in love with the program.

Then again, two years ago I couldn't see myself majoring in psychology. Yet here we are.

Do you think you could request a phone/skype interview?  That way you have a chance to talk to them but won't have to sacrifice the expense?  Otherwise it seems like you've made your decision.  If you feel like you just need that closure or an extra sense of security in your decision, I'd ask for that phone interview option, because that would give you some closure/assurance that you're making the right decision.

Just to add another consideration, I think it's worth keeping interviews unless you're pretty darn sure you wouldn't accept an offer (obviously, you shouldn't waste everyone's time).  If you aren't 100%, I think even an interview somewhere you think can't beat your best offer could be worthwhile-- interviewing somewhere else will give you a different perspective, and it may help you think of things you want to ask/do/think about before accepting your awesome offer.  Learning about a different program, talking to a different batch of students and professors, and just generally thinking about a different school could be very useful.

Thanks everyone for the input. I've chosen to cancel. I don't have a top choice at the moment but as the school in question is not really in the same league, I opted to pass.

I hope the information in this thread may be helpful to anyone else in my situation.

In the interest of anyone else reading this thread in a similar situation, I will mention that it's useful to keep an interview if at all possible for a different reason: networking. Even if it's just a phone/Skype interview, it can help establish professional connections that may help you out down the line.

I have to bump this thread because now I'm in this situation myself, hah.  I'm 99.9% sure of where I want to go (and got an offer from them) but I have been invited to another program's interview day.  I want to go, if not just for fun and networking.  But I feel sort of guilty that I may be taking a spot away from someone who may be more interested in the program.  I guess my question now is, is it still okay to go to an interview day already sort of knowing you don't want to go there.  Especially because they're reimbursing.  But I also don't want to tell them no I'm not interested, because that's not true either.  At least, I'm not ready to close myself off from other offers yet (I know, completely selfish of me...).  What are your thoughts?  If I'm being selfish, please just tell me, I need honest advice lol.

If you don't intend to go, p < .01, then don't visit. More than the money, it's a waste of everyone's time to host you and you're potentially taking a spot away from another student. Sometimes they can tell too ("You got accepted at Harvard but you're still considering here? Hmmm...") and that reflects badly on you.

I've organized lots of student visits and I'd be really irritated to go to all that work for someone who wasn't seriously thinking about coming.

I guess I'm scared of saying no to anyone because while I do have an offer from my top choice, everything is not finalized yet and closing off opportunities feels a little premature right now.  I suppose I could just say I have a conflict and request a Skype interview instead?  Does that seem reasonable while not completely saying "I'm not interested"?

I guess I'm scared of saying no to anyone because while I do have an offer from my top choice, everything is not finalized yet and closing off opportunities feels a little premature right now. I suppose I could just say I have a conflict and request a Skype interview instead? Does that seem reasonable while not completely saying "I'm not interested"?

This is certainly one of the drawbacks of having a top choice. Once you get accepted, you are more apt to just say no to everyone. I had a top choice in the beginning, but after the SPSP conference and speaking with a few professors, I decided to do away with the top choice and be open to the possibility of being anywhere. That's not to say that either approaches are better than another. If you absolutely have a top choice and you think not hearing anyone else will change that, all in good. But for me, I think it is worth to hear anyone out. There are unforeseen variables that may sway you to go in a different direction.

I don't like being dishonest. So I would advice not saying "I have a conflict" when there isn't one. I think in navigating these interviews, honesty is ultimately the best policy. Honesty should not be confused with candidness though. Don't reveal everything, but don't lie. IT will more often than not, bite you in the ass so to speak.

If I were in your position, I would be open to visiting them. At the very least you will have a lot of interesting conversations and you will get to know different researchers, which you will ultimately encounter again in the future. At the best, you may encounter hidden variables that can influence your decisions on what program you choose. These interviews function more than just admittance to a program...they are social networking opportunities and I have met a lot of people that I would love to collaborate and work with in the future. Of course this assumes, you are still at least considering the school. If not, then go with what Lewin says.

Edited by DarwinAG

If you think there is still a decent chance that you could change your mind and pick this school, then I would go.  One of my "safety" schools is still in consideration just because they do offer some things that some of the larger (more impressive) schools do not.  Like DarwinAG said, it is possible that you could change your mind about your top choice after visiting this school.  Not having an offer finalized would make me a little worried too, so if you want to use this as a back-up, just in case something goes wrong with your offer, then that sounds logical to me.

However, if you are only planning on attending for the sole purpose of networking, then do not go.  There are plenty of opportunities to network, and this is not one of them.  If this is the case, then I would politely decline and try to keep in contact with that POI (as much as they would let me) for future opportunities.

Do you need to make a decision right away?  Is the interview far off enough that you could wait a few days to see if your other offer is finalized before you give this school an answer?

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.  I've decided to not stress myself over these things anymore and take a more optimistic look.  I've done all this work applying for these schools and obviously I chose them for good reasons, so I'm going take everything into consideration instead of quickly judging what I want or not.  So I've decided to go to the interview, because I don't know everything about that school and what it has to offer and it would be foolish of me to not see what great opportunities are there.  After all is said and done, then I can stress about actually making the final decision.  Thanks again everyone!! :D

There was one school that was relatively low on my list until I visited, and it shot right up to the top.  Even after visiting other schools, it is at the top of my list.  There are a lot of other factors to consider that you can't know well untli visiting (e.g. personality fit with faculty, how happy the students are, etc.), that I wouldn't rule a place out before visiting.  In addition, in terms of not burning future bridges, I wouldn't like the idea of cancelling a commitment.

However, if after visiting other schools and theirs, you are sure that you don't want to go there, it is definitely okay (even a good thing) to let them know as soon as possible that you will be attending somewhere else.  If they offer you admission after the interview, be sure to respond ASAP so that they can offer someone else the spot.