Teachers College

ctcpx084

• 2 weeks later...

Something that's funny is today I got an email from TC that said that the master's application deadline was extended and still open! I am definitely not applying to the master's program so I wonder if they've made decisions already and are 'hinting'. I believe I'm an overall competitive applicant, although my research interests are pretty far from the faculty in the int. ed. program, so I'm not immediately jumping to any conclusions-- I just thought it was a bit amusing and wanted to share.

Edited by ism

I don't know if you need to worry about it being a hint; I haven't even applied to the program I was thinking about at TC (Arts Administration) and I'm still getting bombarded with "deadline extended! apply today!" emails after speaking with one of the admissions reps, so maybe it's a more generally rolling process there.

Thanks! Some programs are rolling and some have "priority" deadlines. I was first unofficially accepted by the Director of my program, then was emailed to check my online status (the official acceptance). There should be the Next Step application portal and another application portal where the decision can be viewed. The email I was sent to check my application status sent me the link to view my decision.

:) I also got a follow-up email yesterday or so that said something along the lines of 'you may have received an email stating that the application for CIE is still open, but that was an error...'. I have nothing updated on the nextstep account or the application account. Hope all these tidbits are helpful. At least it shows something's moving administratively.

Sadly I don't think they send out decisions until March 12 or 13, still hoping that may change but I'm guessing we still have wait on that one:/

It seems to really depend on program. Also I have been comparing last year to this year and it seems like a few groups have received their decisions much earlier than they did in previous years.

However, that's probably just me fishing. I really just want to know so I can start figuring out my next year! I am only applying to there and Steinhardt so I am getting a bit impatient...

To answer your question, I got my acceptance from Teachers College just now for the MA TESOL (K-12) program. I applied a little before the priority deadline I think. Time to mentally prepare myself for turning it down because it's too expensive... :'(

I also applied to Columbia, but I have to say I'm not terribly impressed with them so far. They're really bad at responding to emails (often directing to the FAQ in a snobby sort of way, like it's a bother for them to answer your question), the whole housing app thing, and now it looks like they will be the last to give their decisions and way behind everyone else, no less. Maybe it's just me, but I get a bad vibe.

wjdavis, I agree wholeheartedly. I've only dealt with Higher Ed and admissions, but they were both pretty cold. On the other hand, Penn GSE (and other schools) really extend themselves and couldn't be more helpful and informative if they tried. As an applicant, that means a lot to me and factors into my decision making.

Exactly! It does make you wonder if you want to invest into a program that's only lukewarm when it comes to important things. When I told one of recommenders (a former professor and a good friend of mine) I was applying to grad school, he advised to really pay attention to the communication with both the school and professors, and said that was a good predictor of what it would be like to attend school there. That advice has been ringing in my head as I was applying and now as I consider my admissions offers.

It sucks that there's not much information on your program out there. It seems like TC is high on your list, so if you can, I would ask them to put you in touch with current students so you can hear what they have to say about the program. Straight from the horse's mouth, to use a hackneyed phrase. ;)

Exactly! It does make you wonder if you want to invest into a program that's only lukewarm when it comes to important things. When I told one of recommenders (a former professor and a good friend of mine) I was applying to grad school, he advised to really pay attention to the communication with both the school and professors, and said that was a good predictor of what it would be like to attend school there. That advice has been ringing in my head as I was applying and now as I consider my admissions offers.

It sucks that there's not much information on your program out there. It seems like TC is high on your list, so if you can, I would ask them to put you in touch with current students so you can hear what they have to say about the program. Straight from the horse's mouth, to use a hackneyed phrase. ;)

This is fantastic advice. Definitely something to keep in mind as we are making our decisions!

Exactly! It does make you wonder if you want to invest into a program that's only lukewarm when it comes to important things. When I told one of recommenders (a former professor and a good friend of mine) I was applying to grad school, he advised to really pay attention to the communication with both the school and professors, and said that was a good predictor of what it would be like to attend school there. That advice has been ringing in my head as I was applying and now as I consider my admissions offers.   It sucks that there's not much information on your program out there. It seems like TC is high on your list, so if you can, I would ask them to put you in touch with current students so you can hear what they have to say about the program. Straight from the horse's mouth, to use a hackneyed phrase. ;)
Word. My mentors at NYU graduated from TC's higher Ed masters programs, and even they don't really recommend it. I mostly want TC to be back in NYC and its always been my dream to go to Columbia, childish as that is. But it is rather ridiculous, agreed, that they're doing so little to "woo" us, as it were, compared to the care I've received from UMichigan and UPenn..... My guess is they know people want them and just plan to sit back and watch us clamor to accept their acceptances.

I found the admissions staff at TC a bit irresponsible. I sent them my TOEFL scores way back in December and they hadnt managed to match my application to my scores. When i contacted them, they told me that the computer did not do it automatically and that they ll have to do it manually. They didnt. In spite of reminder emails and calls. It tooks me three weeks to get them to do just that and Im scared that my application has been considered incomplete uptil recently because of their fault. When I ask them if this delay will affect my admission decision, they dont say anything !!!

I applied to the PhD in Politics & Education but haven't heard anything back yet.  I had similar experiences with their admissions staff, they haven't been the most helpful people in the world.  Like others, I had great experiences with the UPenn staff, they were always willing to chat and answer my questions.