2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Thank you so much katieliz, jmar, and Nebraska!! I feel like the world is lifted off my shoulders!! I definitely had a few celebratory drinks tonight! NOW, to find an apartment by June 3rd and segway myself out of my job.... I am glad I am going on vacation today! A little break before the madness starts up! The best madness ever! :)

Thank you so much katieliz, jmar, and Nebraska!! I feel like the world is lifted off my shoulders!! I definitely had a few celebratory drinks tonight! NOW, to find an apartment by June 3rd and segway myself out of my job.... I am glad I am going on vacation today! A little break before the madness starts up! The best madness ever! :)V

So glad for you! Living vicariously through your acceptance!   :D

So glad for you! Living vicariously through your acceptance!   :D
I really hope you get into UTD, it's such an amazing program! I told my boss yesterday that I had lost all hope for getting in this year (it's my second year applying) and I was going to look into paying for a GRE class. Two hours later got the email! I really hope everyone that hasn't got in yet can feel what I am feeling! We have worked so hard for this!

i'm getting really depressed from this lack of news.

:( We're still in limbo over here, too. CSUEB gave a timeline of "everything should be decided by mid-June" .... I can't imagine another month and a half of this though. Do you know when UF is supposed to have their stuff finalized?

FINALLY rejected from UVA. It's very funny how this application process works- accepted to my reach schools, rejected from the school I thought I'd more easily get in to!

I am happy with the outcome. I am thinking good thoughts for everyone who is still waiting.

Rejected from both school yr two. Really depressed. I guess I'm on to plan b. Really trying to figure out if I'm heading down the right path.

I'm sorry to hear that :(. I was wait-listed this year but it's looking like an eventual reject...also year two of applying. However, I plan on REALLY working on my volunteer and research experiences and applying the next round. I think you should, too! You need to ask yourself if this is your dream and if it is, don't let anything stop you. E-mail or call the schools that rejected you and ask how you can improve your application. Also, you should consider applying to more schools if you are able. I only applied to one last year and got nowhere. Good luck! 

Edited by DeafAudi

FINALLY rejected from UVA. It's very funny how this application process works- accepted to my reach schools, rejected from the school I thought I'd more easily get in to!

I am happy with the outcome. I am thinking good thoughts for everyone who is still waiting.

I'm glad they finally communicated with you--it sucks that it was so late and that it wasn't good news, but it's nice to have closure.

Now you can fully focus on preparing for USF!

:( We're still in limbo over here, too. CSUEB gave a timeline of "everything should be decided by mid-June" .... I can't imagine another month and a half of this though. Do you know when UF is supposed to have their stuff finalized?

they said of end of the week. its the end of the week :(

someone got accepted off waitlist two days ago and theres been nothing since. so im accepting that its a rejection and will cry now!  ;)

You just never know until you actually hear back from the school...you also still have UCF to hear from. Meanwhile, try to focus on other things.  I know it's hard...I don't think I'm getting an acceptance this year either but am trying to get myself excited about the next application round. I hope that even if you don't get in this year you will try again next year! :)

You just never know until you actually hear back from the school...you also still have UCF to hear from. Meanwhile, try to focus on other things.  I know it's hard...I don't think I'm getting an acceptance this year either but am trying to get myself excited about the next application round. I hope that even if you don't get in this year you will try again next year! :)
That's good advice! I didn't get in last year and it was rough. But I picked myself up and got a job as a SLP-Assisant and it is such an amazing experience! I hope y'all get in though. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

someone got accepted off waitlist two days ago and theres been nothing since. so im accepting that its a rejection and will cry now!  ;)

you're out of field right? well getting into a program without any background is really hard. the first time i applied i was wait listed and rejected from every 3 year program I applied to. But I got into most of the post bacc programs and in my second round got into a number of good graduate programs. Not only did I get  second bachelors in SLP but I worked in research, volunteered a lot and retook the GRE. Instead of focusing on not getting in and crying as a result you should focus on what you are going to do to better your application. Portland States post bacc program for example is non competitive (you apply you get in) and you get a very in depth background. Idk much about USUs program but it is very popular. I'm really not trying to be mean, and you still have other schools to hear from, but wallowing in not getting into a program isn't going to DO anything to help your application for the next go round. I understand your frustration and your disappointment but honestly the best thing you can do is channel those feelings into making yourself a better candidate. 

you're out of field right? well getting into a program without any background is really hard. the first time i applied i was wait listed and rejected from every 3 year program I applied to. But I got into most of the post bacc programs and in my second round got into a number of good graduate programs. Not only did I get  second bachelors in SLP but I worked in research, volunteered a lot and retook the GRE. Instead of focusing on not getting in and crying as a result you should focus on what you are going to do to better your application. Portland States post bacc program for example is non competitive (you apply you get in) and you get a very in depth background. Idk much about USUs program but it is very popular. I'm really not trying to be mean, and you still have other schools to hear from, but wallowing in not getting into a program isn't going to DO anything to help your application for the next go round. I understand your frustration and your disappointment but honestly the best thing you can do is channel those feelings into making yourself a better candidate. 

ok.

That's good advice! I didn't get in last year and it was rough. But I picked myself up and got a job as a SLP-Assisant and it is such an amazing experience! I hope y'all get in though. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

yeah i was thinking of doing this. i also have a ton of prereqs done for the slp major, so thats cool :)

matrixgrl09, I agree with this advice. I know it's hard to appreciate it right now (especially since you're still waiting on a school) but you really should start looking into the weak parts of your application and see what you can start fixing ASAP. Summer is the perfect time for extra classes, more volunteering experience, etc.

Are you out-of-field? You mention having pre-reqs done for the SLP major, did you do a post-bacc already?

Need more advice from anyone! So, I didn't get accepted second year of applying to three year programs. I'm going to have to step it up this year! I'm paying on my student loans from my bachelors degree in early childhood and special education...let's just say I have a good bit in loans. I'm a little worried about the next step I need to take to save money, but give me the best chance of getting in next year. I have many choices I can take. One obstacle I have been tackling is how difficult are the classes...pre-req? Can these be handled with a job? With this not known here are some of my options... 1. Move and take pre-req classes on campus at UGA....which is where I would really like to get into grad school for SLP. I think this would help get my name out there and it's a really good program. This is the most expensive option. 2. Take pre-reqs online at Utah state and teach another year. Not sure if I could handle both at the same time. I want to save money, but give myself the best chance next year of getting in. Also, if I volunteer to help my application, how should I log my hours? Is therea special form on ASHA or not? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Need more advice from anyone! So, I didn't get accepted second year of applying to three year programs. I'm going to have to step it up this year! I'm paying on my student loans from my bachelors degree in early childhood and special education...let's just say I have a good bit in loans. I'm a little worried about the next step I need to take to save money, but give me the best chance of getting in next year. I have many choices I can take. One obstacle I have been tackling is how difficult are the classes...pre-req? Can these be handled with a job? With this not known here are some of my options... 1. Move and take pre-req classes on campus at UGA....which is where I would really like to get into grad school for SLP. I think this would help get my name out there and it's a really good program. This is the most expensive option. 2. Take pre-reqs online at Utah state and teach another year. Not sure if I could handle both at the same time. I want to save money, but give myself the best chance next year of getting in. Also, if I volunteer to help my application, how should I log my hours? Is therea special form on ASHA or not? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Just wanted to respond to the pre-requisites while teaching issue. This was my second year applying too. In hopes of beefing up my application, I took prerequisites during the year while teaching.  I took online courses at Eastern New Mexico University, where they offer 8 week and 16 week options. I found taking 2 courses each semester, each 8 weeks, allowed me to only take one course at a time, while still fulfilling 6 credits per semester. This worked for me because I was worried about taking more than one online course at a time while working...and I did get into my first choice school this year!! Although I do think that getting your name in the door at UGA will help, it is a big risk to take considering the expenses. I considered taking courses at my first choice school on campus as well, but I could not believe how huge of a difference in cost the online prerequisite courses were from the on campus ones. Good luck in the re- application process!

ok.

I know it's really disappointing and upsetting, but I don't think NorCal was trying to make you feel bad. Luckily, there are a lot of people on this site who have had experience with being out of field, being rejected, and re-applying. Since NorCal has experienced this and has since been accepted to a grad program, it may be beneficial to see if she can help you strengthen your application.

We all want you to succeed! This is your dream, and I think I can safely say that we all support you 100%. My mom has always said to me, "You have one day to feel bad. Then it's time to fix it and move on." I know you can do this. 

Keep your head up, we are all rooting for you.

I took my pre-requisites at SUNY New Paltz. It's a 1 year program offering 9-10 prereq courses, and you get a certificate afterwards. It helped me get into 4 schools this year (still waiting on 1 more), and it was my first application season. I didn't have a stellar undergraduate GPA,  so I made sure to work hard on the pre-reqs. Initially, I wasn't going to apply with any pre-reqs last year, but then I wrote to a lot of graduate programs, and they recommended that I take them because I'd be competing with people who either had pre-reqs or a full bachelor's degree in CSD. So, I applied this year and made it in! If you'd like to know more about the New Paltz post BA program, (which can be done online or on campus) feel free to message me.
Here's the weblink for more info: http://www.newpaltz.edu/commdis/postbacertificate.html

I know it's really disappointing and upsetting, but I don't think NorCal was trying to make you feel bad. Luckily, there are a lot of people on this site who have had experience with being out of field, being rejected, and re-applying. Since NorCal has experienced this and has since been accepted to a grad program, it may be beneficial to see if she can help you strengthen your application.

We all want you to succeed! This is your dream, and I think I can safely say that we all support you 100%. My mom has always said to me, "You have one day to feel bad. Then it's time to fix it and move on." I know you can do this. 

Keep your head up, we are all rooting for you.

lol i know. i already have a solid back up plan. still upsetting, though. thanks for the advice, guys!