2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I'm also starting to get uneasy about UVA. Absolutely no one in field that I know of has heard anything either way. I feel like it's super weird.

I was wondering why UVA had moved to waitlist in your signature!  That's super weird, it's getting really late and they've already let out-of-field people know...

I'm also starting to get uneasy about UVA. Absolutely no one in field that I know of has heard anything either way. I feel like it's super weird.

AMarie said that someone she knows (in-field, undergrad at UVA) has been accepted.

It's a completely off-putting process when schools choose radio silence over a traditional waitlist.

AMarie said that someone she knows (in-field, undergrad at UVA) has been accepted.

It's a completely off-putting process when schools choose radio silence over a traditional waitlist.

It's weird. How has only one person (that we know of) heard back? I know several people here who have heard nothing, including myself.

:(

It's weird. How has only one person (that we know of) heard back? I know several people here who have heard nothing, including myself.

:(

It's very strange.

I think that this says it all, though (a comment on the results board from last year): "UVA posters, don't fret if you haven't heard yet. Last year, some of our class heard in february and some didn't hear until mid-april! they accepted and rejected people all along that timeline, so don't lose hope!"

It's very strange.

I think that this says it all, though (a comment on the results board from last year): "UVA posters, don't fret if you haven't heard yet. Last year, some of our class heard in february and some didn't hear until mid-april! they accepted and rejected people all along that timeline, so don't lose hope!"

Ha, it's funny you should post that. I was looking at that earlier, and assumed that just like the year before, the adcom takes its time making decisions. 

Ha, it's funny you should post that. I was looking at that earlier, and assumed that just like the year before, the adcom takes its time making decisions. 

Yep, or they have an unofficial rolling waitlist or something.

It just doesn't feel very cohesive or welcoming to do it this way, not to mention that it's inconsiderate that they purposely notify some people for the first time on or after April 15!

Yep, or they have an unofficial rolling waitlist or something.

It just doesn't feel very cohesive or welcoming to do it this way, not to mention that it's inconsiderate that they purposely notify some people for the first time on or after April 15!

This is also the issue I'm running into with USF. They have a sort of unofficial waitlist, but none of us were ever notified of this. I have been sitting in the dark with no clue as to what my standing is with them. I feel like it is better for everyone if we just know!

This is also the issue I'm running into with USF. They have a sort of unofficial waitlist, but none of us were ever notified of this. I have been sitting in the dark with no clue as to what my standing is with them. I feel like it is better for everyone if we just know!

Exactly. I think you should be given an actual WL notification and decide how to proceed from there.

To hear nothing can be so confusing or maddening. It's much better to know SOMETHING, like that they even received and looked at your app in the first place!

Also doing it the way they do it makes it impossible to organize an accepted students open house kind of event, and I think having one of those is important.

Exactly. I think you should be given an actual WL notification and decide how to proceed from there.

To hear nothing can be so confusing or maddening. It's much better to know SOMETHING, like that they even received and looked at your app in the first place!

Also doing it the way they do it makes it impossible to organize an accepted students open house kind of event, and I think having one of those is important.

Apparently USF is having an open house even on April 4th. However, the bulk of us (over 300 "waitlisted", apparently) will not get to participate if we are ever moved from the list. It is very frustrating and almost isolating. 

Apparently USF is having an open house even on April 4th. However, the bulk of us (over 300 "waitlisted", apparently) will not get to participate if we are ever moved from the list. It is very frustrating and almost isolating. 

Right, so the people who were accepted and do choose to attend will be even more clued in than people accepted from the WL later in April.

I wouldn't be so down on this kind of notification method if I hadn't seen numerous other schools with just as many or more applicants handle it more seamlessly and definitively.

None of my schools have open houses - I wish they did!  I am going to visit a couple, but it would be nice to do a like a big open house where I could meet other prospective students..... Just weighing in on this.  

I also think it sucks that you are on a "in the dark" waitlist - I'm sorry jmarti!  That would drive me insane!

None of my schools have open houses - I wish they did!  I am going to visit a couple, but it would be nice to do a like a big open house where I could meet other prospective students..... Just weighing in on this.  

I also think it sucks that you are on a "in the dark" waitlist - I'm sorry jmarti!  That would drive me insane!

When I rule the world, every SLP program will notify no later than March 1 and will have an open house no later than April 7!*

*This will never happen. :P

Totally agree! Open houses also let you interact with faculty and current students. It can give you a real "feel" of the program. Although I feel that your visits will help a ton. 

When I rule the world, every SLP program will notify no later than March 1 and will have an open house no later than April 7!*

*This will never happen. :P

I wish that would happen! lol :)

I am so tired of waiting..I feel like some schools won't even notify me till after THE April 15.

& WHY is SIUC taking so long?

just got my rejection notice from WCU. Good luck to the other wait listers. This was my second application, so I'm pretty bummed. Next year I suppose.
I'm sorry to hear that, something else will work out for you! May I ask you how you found out? This is my second year applying as well and very nervous! Good luck to you!

It somewhat bothers me when people post on the results "rejected here but accepted to a more competitive school, why????".

Not every school is looking for the same things. I doubt any of us is every school's ideal applicant. Blah, just getting more and more irritated as time goes by.

That drives me crazy and I am IN grad school (especially when people talk about my grad program and/or schools I applied to). I always want to mark them as spam, and if they are particularly rude I do  :rolleyes: There is honesty no need for that kind of negativity.

My boss keeps interviewing SLP-A's to fill my position when I "get into grad school"...... Ughh, no pressure. I wish I had as much confidence in myself as she has in me! Still have 3 schools to hear from! -__-

That drives me crazy and I am IN grad school (especially when people talk about my grad program and/or schools I applied to). I always want to mark them as spam, and if they are particularly rude I do  :rolleyes: There is honesty no need for that kind of negativity.

I guess I can't imagine being entirely surprised to be rejected anywhere since admissions is so competitive and definitely isn't always straightforward. That's why I was nearly ripping my hair out with worry before I heard back; there's simply no way to know what the applicant pool is like and the inner workings of the process that aren't evident to applicants (e.g., decisions based on yield--though that seems to be less of a factor with SLP programs).

I will say that so many people who weren't accepted to schools still genuinely wish others well on the results page, and those people are amazing and inspiring!

Anyone that has been accepted at South Carolina State- did you have to submit a final transcript before they would review your application? That's what they told me and I'm confused. Please message me and clue me in. Thanks!

Hello everyone!

As I was searching the internet to find information about the grad schools I applied to, I stumbled across thegradcafe which seems like a really great and supportive resource!  Congrats to all of you that have gotten into your schools and hang in there to everyone else!  Hopefully as we get closer to the deadline of needing to make decisions, the wait lists will start moving and more people will have great news.  I certainly hope so!

Although I feel very lucky to have been accepted at all of the schools I applied to, I'm having a hard time deciding where to go.  My busy schedule this past year has not allowed me to travel and visit all of the school as I would have liked.  Several of my schools are hosting open houses, but unfortunately, they fell on the same weekend as a convention that I am presenting research at.  

I don't know where you all went to undergrad or what information about a particular program (likes/dislikes) you might have, but if you could share any of that insight with me, I would be incredibly grateful.  Also, I noticed that a few of you have mentioned that you will be going to Boulder's open house in another week and a half.  If you have any particular impressions about the school after the open house, information about funding, intern/exterrnships, number of clients seen each semester, etc. I would love to hear them (good or bad).  Please feel free to pm me if you'd rather do that!!

Thanks again everyone, I'm so glad that I found such a supportive and uplifting community to join.  I know we'll all get through this together!

I'm sorry to hear that, something else will work out for you! May I ask you how you found out? This is my second year applying as well and very nervous! Good luck to you!

I simply got an email saying that my decision was available on apply yourself, around 10:30 this morning. According to the results page, at least several other people got rejection notices around the same time. Best of luck to you as well. Hopefully for you, if you didn't get an email, that means you are still in the running for the wait list. This career really is my dream; I will be reapplying next year, and looking into other distance options, most likely. Good luck!

Hello everyone!

As I was searching the internet to find information about the grad schools I applied to, I stumbled across thegradcafe which seems like a really great and supportive resource!  Congrats to all of you that have gotten into your schools and hang in there to everyone else!  Hopefully as we get closer to the deadline of needing to make decisions, the wait lists will start moving and more people will have great news.  I certainly hope so!

Although I feel very lucky to have been accepted at all of the schools I applied to, I'm having a hard time deciding where to go.  My busy schedule this past year has not allowed me to travel and visit all of the school as I would have liked.  Several of my schools are hosting open houses, but unfortunately, they fell on the same weekend as a convention that I am presenting research at.  

I don't know where you all went to undergrad or what information about a particular program (likes/dislikes) you might have, but if you could share any of that insight with me, I would be incredibly grateful.  Also, I noticed that a few of you have mentioned that you will be going to Boulder's open house in another week and a half.  If you have any particular impressions about the school after the open house, information about funding, intern/exterrnships, number of clients seen each semester, etc. I would love to hear them (good or bad).  Please feel free to pm me if you'd rather do that!!

Thanks again everyone, I'm so glad that I found such a supportive and uplifting community to join.  I know we'll all get through this together!

Hi, Welcome!  I am in the same boat as you - I am feeling very fortunate, but having a REALLY hard time making a choice right now.  I see you're considering TU - I am considering them as well!  They are in my top choices right now for various reasons.  Congrats on your great choices!