2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Hi, thanks for sharing about USU's non-degree program. I was checking it out and the only concern I have is the "proctored exam." Have you done that in any of your classes? It seems like a hassle to find a proctor because I am out-of-state, and I can't figure out how to access the list of certified proctors.

Hey!  You can't look at the list until you are registered, I don't think.  Here's the link to look once you are:

https://rcde.usu.edu/testing/index.cfm/public/students

I live out of state as well (in Oklahoma) and there was a school nearby that had an approved testing center.  It really wasn't a hassle.  I also lived in California when I first started doing classes there and there were multiple proctors approved where I lived there.  If there are none approved, the link kcald sent is where you can have someone get approved.  I think it can be a professor, librarian, etc. - just no one you are related to or anything like that.  The thing that sucks the most is that some of the approved testing centers charge (mine is $20 per exam), but it's really not that big of a hassle.

Hope this helps!

Yeah :/ I'm finding it impossible to study.. just keep hitting refresh. I need to stop obsessing.

Me too. I swear I am just staring at my inbox and updating the results search. The worst is when someone for a university where I applied got an acceptance letter, others wait listed, and I haven't heard anything. I really despise groupon emails right now too.

You know what else is the WORST with emails... I applied to the school I went to for undergrad, and they send out a lot of random emails to alumni..... So I get emails from them and my heart stops and then it's just about some stupid event on campus or probably asking me for money!  I want to unsubscribe to any emails that are not admissions related!!!

Here is the USu info page on proctors. You might try a current professor, or your old high school teachers, perhaps. I didn't click on the restrictions in proctors, but I hope this helps! https://rcde.usu.edu/testing/index.cfm/public/proctors'>https://rcde.usu.edu/testing/index.cfm/public/proctors
Hey!  You can't look at the list until you are registered, I don't think.  Here's the link to look once you are: https://rcde.usu.edu/testing/index.cfm/public/students'>https://rcde.usu.edu/testing/index.cfm/public/students   I live out of state as well (in Oklahoma) and there was a school nearby that had an approved testing center.  It really wasn't a hassle.  I also lived in California when I first started doing classes there and there were multiple proctors approved where I lived there.  If there are none approved, the link kcald sent is where you can have someone get approved.  I think it can be a professor, librarian, etc. - just no one you are related to or anything like that.  The thing that sucks the most is that some of the approved testing centers charge (mine is $20 per exam), but it's really not that big of a hassle.   Hope this helps!  
Thank you very much!

Me too. I swear I am just staring at my inbox and updating the results search. The worst is when someone for a university where I applied got an acceptance letter, others wait listed, and I haven't heard anything. I really despise groupon emails right now too.

Hahaha the Groupon/Livingsocial emails are killing me

I am going nuts.  I swore that NYU and/or Marquette would email me or send something in the mail today.  I just need to pretend I'm not waiting for something in order to be sane again...

It is hard to be productive.  I feel like my future is slipping away.  It's like limbo from Inception. 

I am going nuts.  I swore that NYU and/or Marquette would email me or send something in the mail today.  I just need to pretend I'm not waiting for something in order to be sane again...

That's the spirit.  Choose sanity!

We can do this, y'all!  Keep your chin up.  If there isn't a rejection, it's the "no news is good news."  From what I've been told, because many candidates apply to so many programs, these schools often DO pull from the wait-list.  It's just a matter of time before you hear from these great schools.  Don't forget why you applied in the first place.  I'm thankful that these admissions committees ARE taking their time, in many respects, because that shows that each candidate is probably getting careful consideration.  

Stay positive!  And if you need some positive energy, check out the "PSA smile" thread on waiting it out. 

ETA: apparently I wrote "threat" instead of "thread."  Oops!!  I'm sure if I keep looking at my posts, I will find 100 more typos.  I like to think that my computer simply can't keep up with my typing speed. :-) 

Edited by kcald716

We can do this, y'all!  Keep your chin up.  If there isn't a rejection, it's the "no news is good news."  From what I've been told, because many candidates apply to so many programs, these schools often DO pull from the wait-list.  It's just a matter of time before you hear from these great schools.  Don't forget why you applied in the first place.  I'm thankful that these admissions committees ARE taking their time, in many respects, because that shows that each candidate is probably getting careful consideration.  

Stay positive!  And if you need some positive energy, check out the "PSA smile" threat on waiting it out. 

Thanks Kcald.   

Here is the link to that thread.  Definitely helped cool my nerves. Especially the nicest place on the internet. 

Just posted about the acceptance to Marquette.  

A letter was attached to an email and told me I was admitted to the Master's program, but I am waitlisted for their Bilingual-English-Spanish Certificate program.  The email said a hard copy of the letter and some other information will be sent by regular mail soon.  

You know what else is the WORST with emails... I applied to the school I went to for undergrad, and they send out a lot of random emails to alumni..... So I get emails from them and my heart stops and then it's just about some stupid event on campus or probably asking me for money!  I want to unsubscribe to any emails that are not admissions related!!!

Right? That is so awful. I got an email today with the subject line "Welcome to UNC OFA" I got all excited until I opened it, and it was just a letter from the financial aid office saying they had received my FAFSA. What a letdown. Don't schools know we're going crazy here?

A girl in my program with outrageous stats was rejected from UNC CH last week. I guess no news is good news, since I still haven't heard.

It also almost seems that they're doing acceptances/rejections by date of application. She applied in November and heard back, while I applied December 1 and have not.

Edited by jmarti37

Just posted about the acceptance to Marquette.  

A letter was attached to an email and told me I was admitted to the Master's program, but I am waitlisted for their Bilingual-English-Spanish Certificate program.  The email said a hard copy of the letter and some other information will be sent by regular mail soon.  

How was your interview with UNM? I had a phone interview with them as well. I hope thats a good sign! Congrats on your acceptance to Marquette, great school

I am going nuts. I swore that NYU and/or Marquette would email me or send something in the mail today. I just need to pretend I'm not waiting for something in order to be sane again...

So no email from Marquette for you either? Someone else posted an acceptance but I still have nada :(

I'm in Wisconsin too! I'm getting very anxious to hear from UW schools. I applied to UW-Milwaukee, UW-Stevens Point, UW-Whitewater, Marquette, UT-Austin, Ithaca College, Rush University and St. Xavier University.

Hey, we've got a lot of similar schools! I also thought about UT Austin, but I'm a bit geographically limited. I'm a post bacc though, and originally looked at them for linguistics.

I'm also anxious to hear from UW schools, but they seem to take their time :(