SSHRC award but no grad school???

FCP

Is it possible to get a SSHRC award, and still be rejected from a graduate school?

I've been told that my application has been forwarded to the SSHRC people. I am a fourth year undergrad, and I have only applied to one school for clinical psychology (fall 2013). I have a strong GPA, and positive research experience (both thesis and working in a lab). 

Anyone know how schools look on applicants that have received awards?

Edited by FCP

Your SSHRC application was forwarded to the national competition by your current university. It is still possible that you won't be funded. In fact, many otherwise successful applications have, in recent years, been declined only because there was not enough funding. 

you may not be admitted to a graduate program for a number of reasons. apart from your grades and the quality of your application, your program might simply be competitive. A graduate fellowship would certainly make you more appealing to potential supervisors but it wouldn't guarantee your admission. 

I think that you can defer SSHRC by one year.

It is possible to win a sshrc and be rejected, but you will very likely get into any program you want with a sshrc win.  People who win a sshrc and do not get into a grad program can contact the school to let them know they have won a sshrc. In almost all cases said program will admit you because sshrc will cover your expenses and grad programs want and need sshc winners ( the university gets money for  and it may increase their quota for next year).

If you were passed on for the MA competition you have about a 90-95% chance of winning sshrc, so congrats you will most likely be going to grad school next year.

It is possible to win a sshrc and be rejected, but you will very likely get into any program you want with a sshrc win.  People who win a sshrc and do not get into a grad program can contact the school to let them know they have won a sshrc. In almost all cases said program will admit you because sshrc will cover your expenses and grad programs want and need sshc winners ( the university gets money for  and it may increase their quota for next year).

If you were passed on for the MA competition you have about a 90-95% chance of winning sshrc, so congrats you will most likely be going to grad school next year.

Not to be a debbie downer but I've heard the success rate (once passed on) is more like 2/3rds. I can't find anything definitive on SSHRC's website. 

Does SSHRC guarantee getting into "any program"? I don't think so. On the one hand, I do know somebody who didn't get into grad school but got NSERC, so she called up a few places and got admitted. On the other hand, profs at my school told me that getting SSHRC wouldn't cause them to admit someone to our program if they didn't want that person already. So there's two anecdotes, one on each side.

I'm in a similar situation, but at the PhD level. I am finishing my MA and got MA SSHRC, my PhD SSHRC app was sent to Ottawa (maybe 50% chance I will get funding?) and I have been waitlisted for the PhD program at the school/program that forwarded my PhD SSHRC, and am still waiting to hear back about my other PhD app to a dif school (will hear sometime in March). My plan is, if I get SSHRC and don't get accepted, to then call those schools and see if that makes a difference. Mostly though, I'm hoping to get into the program I'm still waiting to hear back from and if I get SSHRC on top of that it would be amazing :)

Does anyone know if PhD SSHRC's can be deferred a year if you don't get accepted anywhere?

I'm in a similar situation, but at the PhD level. I am finishing my MA and got MA SSHRC, my PhD SSHRC app was sent to Ottawa (maybe 50% chance I will get funding?) and I have been waitlisted for the PhD program at the school/program that forwarded my PhD SSHRC, and am still waiting to hear back about my other PhD app to a dif school (will hear sometime in March). My plan is, if I get SSHRC and don't get accepted, to then call those schools and see if that makes a difference. Mostly though, I'm hoping to get into the program I'm still waiting to hear back from and if I get SSHRC on top of that it would be amazing :)

Does anyone know if PhD SSHRC's can be deferred a year if you don't get accepted anywhere?

Thanks for the reply. From what I read about sshrc, it cannot be deferred unless you are sick or pregnant. 

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/using-utiliser/guide-A/regulations-reglements-eng.aspx#a7

Quick question, if you did call the school, who would you talk to? POI? secretary? 

Depending on the school I would call different people. If it was the school I'm currently doing my MA at I would talk to my current supervisor and then the graduate coordinator. At the other school I would talk to the graduate coordinator.

Not to be a debbie downer but I've heard the success rate (once passed on) is more like 2/3rds. I can't find anything definitive on SSHRC's website. 

Does SSHRC guarantee getting into "any program"? I don't think so. On the one hand, I do know somebody who didn't get into grad school but got NSERC, so she called up a few places and got admitted. On the other hand, profs at my school told me that getting SSHRC wouldn't cause them to admit someone to our program if they didn't want that person already. So there's two anecdotes, one on each side.

At the MA level its about 95-99% chance of winning because the universities are given a quota, so when they send on their A-list applicants, it's to FILL that quota - no more no less.  The only way you don't win at the MA level is if SSHRC changes the quota due to budget cuts - then people at the end of the A-list get bumped down to the alternate list.  

Yes, it is possible to get a SSHRC and not into grad school.  If you've been placed on the A-list you should tell the schools you've applied to for grad school, because they too know that it's a 95-99% chance of winning. 

At the MA level its about 95-99% chance of winning because the universities are given a quota, so when they send on their A-list applicants, it's to FILL that quota - no more no less.  The only way you don't win at the MA level is if SSHRC changes the quota due to budget cuts - then people at the end of the A-list get bumped down to the alternate list.  

Yes, it is possible to get a SSHRC and not into grad school.  If you've been placed on the A-list you should tell the schools you've applied to for grad school, because they too know that it's a 95-99% chance of winning. 

Hi thanks for the stats. Those seem to be the ones I come across most consistently. I did drop the school a word, and one of my POIs responded. I am anxiously awaiting some news. I heard University of Ottawa (clinical psychology department) had their meeting on Friday. Does anyone know how long it would take them to call students for interviews? I know today is a Canadian holiday. 

I heard from the schools I got accepted (5 MA programs, 4=soci 1=crim) at within 4 weeks starting the second week of February last year - I didn't have to do any interviews - and this includes being accepted at University of Ottawa (MA crim program).   I heard from the school I'm attending now 1 week post application due date, but I know some people didn't hear till June / July. If you hear before March / April then you're most likely a first pick - if you hear in the summer then it means they're holding on to your application in case people decline their offer / withdrawal. 

If you get a SSHRC, or NSERC, or really any large recognized funding body behind you, a university will most likely overturn a rejection to admit you.

If you get a SSHRC, or NSERC, or really any large recognized funding body behind you, a university will most likely overturn a rejection to admit you.

I think this is unrealistically optimistic. For example, my department wouldn't. Direct quote from the area director: "If you fit as a student then we're willing to fund you, and if not then getting money won't help." Even with the one year of funding that master's SSHRC provides, there are still the 4-5 years afterwards that it will take to finish a PhD, and the department will be on the hook for most of that.

(P.S., you know we can see that you're upvoting all your own posts, right?)

I think this is unrealistically optimistic. For example, my department wouldn't. Direct quote from the area director: "If you fit as a student then we're willing to fund you, and if not then getting money won't help." Even with the one year of funding that master's SSHRC provides, there are still the 4-5 years afterwards that it will take to finish a PhD, and the department will be on the hook for most of that.

(P.S., you know we can see that you're upvoting all your own posts, right?)

I can see it from both perspectives here. The former obviously the one anyone would want to accept if they were in a situation where they were funded, but had no acceptance. The later, because it makes sense, why would a school take you if they rejected you just because you were funded?

I am hopeful that this won't be the case for me. That is, either I will be accepted and funded or rejected from both. 

Throughout my undergrad training, I have been told - if you publish or receive a scholarship you will have an open door anywhere. I am starting to believe this is not true entirely. 

• 1 month later...

I can see it from both perspectives here. The former obviously the one anyone would want to accept if they were in a situation where they were funded, but had no acceptance. The later, because it makes sense, why would a school take you if they rejected you just because you were funded?

I am hopeful that this won't be the case for me. That is, either I will be accepted and funded or rejected from both. 

Throughout my undergrad training, I have been told - if you publish or receive a scholarship you will have an open door anywhere. I am starting to believe this is not true entirely. 

A big part of being accepted in a program has to do with the potential fit between your proposed research and how much faculty support there could be for you. So, not being accepted at one institution or another is not necessarily a reflection of your quality as a scholar. Dont take it personally, keep your chin up and keep trying! 

Best of luck mate, and dont loose courage!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, so this is what ended up happening. I didn't get into the one clinical psychology school I applied to, but I was able to get in a Masters in Social Data Analysis. I also received the SSHRC award. Luckly, I can hold the SSHRC award in my Data Analysis program. 

This fall, I will again be applying to clinical psychology, hopefully I can get in this time with a SSHRC award and Masters degree under my belt. :)