No interview = Rejection?

olayak

Has anyone been accepted to psych doctoral programs without an interview?  I haven't heard from any of the schools and I have no idea if that's a good or bad thing!

Have you checked the results section for your schools? http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

I'm applying to Clinical Psych programs and all of them interview. Most of the ones that I've already interviewed at said they wouldn't accept students without an in-person interview. However, I have heard of applicants being alternates or waitlisted without an interview. Not often though.

I don't know how different it is for Clinical programs, but as far as I know, most Psychology programs in general interview.

I've checked and nothing posted yet.  Although Ive heard through the grapevine that some interviews were set up.  Don't know what to think. I'm biting my nails on this one!

yeah I've been accepeted to a PHD program without a interview...perhaps becasue I'm an international prospective student :D 

I think it's program specific. I have been accepted to a Ph.D. program without an interview (phone call or in person). We did exchange a series of emails though.

No interview does not always equal rejection, but I do think there usually is some line of communication (phone, email, skype, etc) between you and POI before an acceptance.  Though, this assumes it's a mentor-ship based program, I haven't applied to programs that weren't, so I have no idea how it works otherwise.  

I was admitted to a program in early January without an interview; actually, it was (practically) the first I had heard from the program - they emailed me asking me for my official transcripts in December but that was it.

However, I have seen interviews happening for multiple programs I applied to and I don't know what it means that I haven't heard from them! Gah. So flustered about those programs, mostly because I hate not knowing things.

Edited by roseisarose

Both of my admissions have been without interviews.  With one, we exchanged a brief and highly non-substantive email about how seriously I was considering their program.  With the other, there was complete radio silence until the admission letter.  So don't give up!

Just to agree with what was mentioned earlier, very few (read: nearly zero) clinical psych programs admit someone without an interview, but as you can see above, that varies widely for non-clinical programs. The results section on this site is a fairly accurate representation of how schools are playing out, but if you absolutely, 100% need to check about one, feel free to contact the admissions office to inquire about their application/interview/acceptance process and schedule.

I applied to cognitive psych :)   I've seen some people get interview offers, so I don't know what my lack of an interview means.  It could mean that I'm a top candidate, a wait-list candidate or completely rejected!  All this waiting is getting to me. LOL.

I applied to cognitive psych :)   I've seen some people get interview offers, so I don't know what my lack of an interview means.  It could mean that I'm a top candidate, a wait-list candidate or completely rejected!  All this waiting is getting to me. LOL.

Do you want to list the programs you applied to? Maybe we can all help with what we know about the programs.

I don't know about NYU, but Princeton held interviews for cognitive last weekend and my impression at least was that interviewing was a prerequisite to being admitted (though who knows for sure, and maybe there's a wait list that doesn't require in person interviews?). Really sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

I had two admissions without interviews, but they were both in Canada.

I take it this was last year or a couple years ago..?

If you don't mind me asking, which schools offered you acceptance without interviews, and approximately when? 

I've applied to multiple Canadian schools and I'm concerned that I've only heard back from one about interviews...

I know most Canadian schools take much longer than their American counterparts to offer acceptances, but I'm getting antsy. 

I am currently waiting on an offer from McGill pending funding and this is without an interview (this happened last week). However, I have been talking with this POI periodically since August. He did mention that McGill was getting a really early head start before the other Canadian schools, and I haven't heard a thing from the other two Canadian schools I applied to (and one application deadline was Dec. 1). Although, according to the results section, it does't look like I will hear back from those until at least March.

Edited by sdt13

The two I'm worried about are Princeton Cognitive Psych and NYU Cognition and Perception (Psychology).  Any news would be great.

Both NYU and Princeton have had their interview weekends, I believe. I did see one flat out rejection get posted on the results for Princeton Cognitive. I haven't heard anything at all from Princeton, but I got tired of waiting for NYU and emailed and was rejected nicely - no official rejection from them yet, though.

So odd, I have heard nothing from NYU or Princeton and when I called and emailed, each time they told me that I had to wait for an official letter - they wouldn't tell me my status via unofficial email or over the phone. :P

I know that NYU had their interview weekend, but I have a MSW from NYU with a 3.9 GPA, I'm going to be so annoyed if I wasn't even waitlisted!

So odd, I have heard nothing from NYU or Princeton and when I called and emailed, each time they told me that I had to wait for an official letter - they wouldn't tell me my status via unofficial email or over the phone. :P

I know that NYU had their interview weekend, but I have a MSW from NYU with a 3.9 GPA, I'm going to be so annoyed if I wasn't even waitlisted!

Maybe it depends on who you contact? I contacted the head of the C&P program for NYU.

Based on my experience, "wait for a letter" is bad news. Every place where I interviewed, I received a phone call. Sorry to be the bearer of (possibly) bad news!