Plan B's

When I took the text, 151 was 56th percentile, and a month later, it fell to 48. It is what it is. 151 club or bust!

I agree that if you can prove that you are capable of doing a bit of mathematical work and meet University minimums, you're in the clear. I would not waste much time working on this part of the test if you're scoring at least 40th or so percentile.

Exactly!  I was 56th percentile too, and I thought, "wow, that's pretty good for an English major who hasn't studied or taken a math class in years!"  Then it fell to 48th.  <_<

If this doesn't pan out, I'm going to get on higheredjobs and start searching for entry-level positions in college / university administration. Two tracks that I would be very interested in are academic advising and admissions. That's a pretty competitive gig too, though, so I'll also need a plan C.

I think this is a great idea.  I currently work in advising and it's definitely my plan B to continue with it if I cannot get into a PhD program this fall.  While Advising jobs can be pretty competitive, they're definitely attainable with an MA in English and can be pretty great if you can tolerate the schedule (I hate being tied to my office 8-5 five days a week, but otherwise it's wonderful).  These jobs don't always pay that well (better than adjuncting from what I've seen so far), but the benefits are usually pretty good.  And you get to use the University library.  And take classes for free or at a discount depending on the school.  One can also sometimes manage to teach a class or two.  It's a pretty sweet plan B.

math scores do matter and not just for funding.

the GRE does not test your knowledge of a discipline--you're not majoring in vocabulary and fill-in-the-blanks any more than you're majoring in high school algebra. The test is, "Can this person prepare for a particular task, and perform well under pressure?" If you "gloss over" math, well, you also might be someone who glosses over reading the required Judy Butler because you don't find her relevant to your work.

I retook the GRE. My verbal scores stayed the same, my math score went up dramatically. I've gotten way more acceptances.

Not to mention, even if you're in the humanities, you'll be expected to be able to read graphs. And with a competitive pool of applicants, I would go wit the one who did best on the GRE overall rather than someone who got only a 30 percentile.

math scores do matter and not just for funding.

the GRE does not test your knowledge of a discipline--you're not majoring in vocabulary and fill-in-the-blanks any more than you're majoring in high school algebra. The test is, "Can this person prepare for a particular task, and perform well under pressure?" If you "gloss over" math, well, you also might be someone who glosses over reading the required Judy Butler because you don't find her relevant to your work.

I retook the GRE. My verbal scores stayed the same, my math score went up dramatically. I've gotten way more acceptances.

Not to mention, even if you're in the humanities, you'll be expected to be able to read graphs. And with a competitive pool of applicants, I would go wit the one who did best on the GRE overall rather than someone who got only a 30 percentile.

I disagree with this. I know many people who are strong verbally but struggle immensely with math, as proven by my throwaway-151 and the fact that others might put a lot of time in studying to get that score (and likewise, the throwaway 169 that some other folks might get). One thing that GRE scores do not measure is effort.

On the other hand, I could see the math GRE being a consideration in general intellectual capacity. There is a reason that my undergrad allowed me to take logic in place of a math course. These aren't totally separate intellectual processes, and being good at math often goes hand-in-hand with clear, logical thinking and the ability to construct a good argument. I wouldn't bet across the board that this is the case, but I can see this perspective more than the "GRE is a task, complete it" idea. Sure, I COULD HAVE studied math and done a lot better at it, but that was time I spent instead on reading and writing and completing more important tasks.

I got a 151 with about an hour of apathetic studying, so I do feel better about myself now.  Not that I think I'm awesome or anything because of that: 151 was 48th percentile this testing season.  :huh:

Really though, the math score basically only matters for funding considerations, usually at state schools.

Another quantitative 151 over here! I did the same - tried to remember a few formulas, and then went in cold. I used to be good at math once upon a time so I counted on that because it seemed like a waste of time to focus on it too much when I had so many other things to work on. A lot of the questions I just stared at because I could not even begin to remember how to approach them (F'in triangles). When I took the text, 151 was 56th percentile, and a month later, it fell to 48. It is what it is. 151 club or bust!

I agree that if you can prove that you are capable of doing a bit of mathematical work and meet University minimums, you're in the clear. I would not waste much time working on this part of the test if you're scoring at least 40th or so percentile.

Both sections of the GRE do matter for funding at some schools -- this tends to relate to university wide standards for fellowships, etc.

I confess I was actually proud of my 151 after 3 months of math study: I hadn't taken a math class in 17 years, since high school. Also, let me add for no reason at all that I only studied the verbal for 2 days (after the 3 months of math) and got a 170.

As for the total score, Buffalo even lists an overall minimun for certain fellowships, I think it was 313... anyway, in a lot of ways it's like whatever, you know?

I confess I was actually proud of my 151 after 3 months of math study: I hadn't taken a math class in 17 years, since high school. Also, let me add for no reason at all that I only studied the verbal for 2 days (after the 3 months of math) and got a 170.

As for the total score, Buffalo even lists an overall minimun for certain fellowships, I think it was 313... anyway, in a lot of ways it's like whatever, you know?

Awesome verbal score! I am in at Buffalo and my overall GRE is exactly 313. I wonder if it's so strict that if I'd gotten a 312 if it would be a different story, or if they are guidelines that can be bent.

Edited by asleepawake

I was actually really really good at math in high school, and tested out of the requirements for college (I didn't actually like it). For the GRE, though, my initial pre-test quant was 151, and after 3 months or so of reviewing, I ended up with a 159... because I suck at timed math tests. I probably could have gotten a much higher score if I didn't choke whenever a clock was running. It was an 86% at first, but then dropped to a 79%. Boo!

I put in quite a bit of effort, but so far it hasn't done me any good. :(

Guys I burnt (burned?) my finger taking the pizza out of the oven... Will this impact my chances of being a pirate king? Should I get a hook? 

Can we get back to plan b's and off the gre's 

Plz&thanku!

Idk insufficient info which finger was it?

I answered randomly to every question except for maybe 2 (I think they both involved referencing a pie chart to derive an answer :o ). My score was 20% percentile. Isn't that scary, for some reason?

You know what? That is scary. who knew.

Guys I burnt (burned?) my finger taking the pizza out of the oven... Will this impact my chances of being a pirate king? Should I get a hook? 

Plz&thanku!

Ah -  Captain, we're in a GRE spiral! Pull up! Pull up!

Does anyone watch Walking Dead? I keep thinking that they're all kinda turning into pirates. Peg leg, eye patch, hook hand... Yarr! Someone needs to make a jpeg or gif or something.

Plz&thanku!

You could get a hook, but it's still not enough to be the pirate king.

You should hurt your toe tripping over a parrot and get a peg leg. You can also poke your eye out when you hit your head on the oven you mentioned (while you're falling, of course), that will get you an eye-patch too.

And as for the GRE, I feel like wasnt on it even when I should have been. ;)

Edited by The Whistler

It would be really beneficial to my studies, since I'm very interested in Brazilian literature. A few of my professors have connections down there and they've agreed to write some letters and hook me up at a university in Rio. So it's not a pipe dream, it could really happen.

Olympics in Rio, just saying... :)