Plan B's

I suppose this could be an addendum to the 0% confidence thread, but, as that is already on page 65, I thought to start something slightly different--and just a little less fatalistic.

For all of us sinking into the abyss of despair: what is your backup plan if the admissions committees should frown upon you?

If you are going to apply again, what's the new-and-improved strategy?

I thought about applying for an MLS in the event of a shut out. I have an MA, so I was thinking that an MLS might lead to a position as an academic librarian. I'm not sure if I would actually do it, but I've thought about it. I'm undecided as to whether or not I'd want to go through another PhD application cycle. 

I KNOW I want to go through another application cycle if this one doesn't pan out. I'll focus on getting more research experience and getting published.

What I don't know is how I will do it.. I also don't know how I'm going to feel about trying to continue to find a full time job in this economy, especially knowing that I may only be there for a year.

I will continue my independent studies of French and Latin, make an effort to have an article published, study for a re-take of the GRE Subject test, write extensively, work, bake lots of delicious loaves of bread, run, work on a farm or two in rural France (Normandy, Brittany, Dordogne, Bourgogne), &c., &c.

I'm not going to concoct any new strategies in order to weasel my way into a program, but rather, continue to cultivate myself in such a way so that should I receive nought but rejection, I'll have accomplished quite a bit, nothing to be ashamed of.

Then there's also Plan C: invest in a boombox and go from campus to campus playing those power ballads from the 1980s that are, at once, epic and insipid, à la "Say Anything . . . " O, snap!, this is just the thread for Plan B's. Just pretend like you stopped reading after paragraph number two. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I will be completely screwed.

After graduating with my BA in 2011, I worked as a High School English Teacher for the year. And let me tell you, it was the worst year of my life. I hated teaching at that level mostly because of the lack of respect that I recieved from both the students and parents.The area that I live in is also really tough and poor so that adds to the hostile environment of the school and the students behavior.

At the end of the school year, I was done. Since then, I've been trying to pursue a teaching position at a lower level but I can never snag anything. And I've been to ALOT of interviews near and far away. Needless to say, I've been unemployed for over 8 months now and getting an acceptance from a grad school is the only thing that is giving me any hope for a brighter future right now.

I honestly don't know what I can/will do if I don't get into any of the schools I applied to.

If this doesn't pan out, I'm going to get on higheredjobs and start searching for entry-level positions in college / university administration. Two tracks that I would be very interested in are academic advising and admissions. That's a pretty competitive gig too, though, so I'll also need a plan C. For now, that would be to start finding out what other decent jobs exist for an MA in English with a strong academic background. The subject area of my degree isn't very marketable, but my track record coming out of school very well may be, so I'm sure if I widen my job search there is SOMETHING that could turn up.

One thing I've taken to doing lately, as I'm reviewing the placement records of the PhD programs I applied to, is to make a note of the occasional non-academic job that recent PhD graduates have accepted. After all, most of those positions don't require a PhD for consideration, and those who took those jobs did so as an alternative to the bleak job market after they spent the duration of their 20s living off less than $20,000 a year. Anyway, we should all keep reminding ourselves that if the PhD doesn't work out, there is life outside of academia and there will be alternatives for those of us who did well enough in school to even consider applying to high profile PhD programs.

Plan D, of course, is to continue working the job I'm at now. I'm making almost twice what one would make in a service job (i.e. - working at a book store or a coffee shop) by working a temp-to-hire job in a title company. I sit at a desk and push documents around a computer system all day, and I basically walked into the job with the easiest interviews I've ever had only a few weeks after I stumbled back into the USA (long story about a teaching-abroad experience that didn't pan out) without any sense of a plan. So for those of you who are really freaking out about surviving in a brutal job market--trust me, there is hope. Just get on job search websites and punch in random search keywords related to things you think you might be good at, see what turns up, and shoot off a few applications. While teaching and academic jobs seem to be the only ones "tailor made" for an English degree, the old "you can go anywhere with an English degree" mantra may very well be as true as you're willing to make it.

Still, though, I'm hoping for an offer from a few good PhD programs so I can do what I love and avoid the nastiness of the 9-5 office grind.

I'm working as an adjunct right now, so I suppose I can continue to do that while I build my CV and maybe (since I'm close w/much of the English dept.), sit in on some classes to keep myself engaged with the field.

But honestly, my sense of self worth is so unbelievably low right now I don't know if I can muster the courage to try this again. I've never felt like so much of a failure, mostly because I've never actually failed academically before.

In short, this sucks pretty hard.

But honestly, my sense of self worth is so unbelievably low right now I don't know if I can muster the courage to try this again. I've never felt like so much of a failure, mostly because I've never actually failed academically before.

In short, this sucks pretty hard.

Same here.

Having failed myself, and talking to the other 'failures', I think it's important to remember in all of this that not getting in should not necessarily be considered an academic failure. One of my POIs reminded me that for every person they actually let in, there are many more people who they would LIKE to let in if only they had the money... people who are good enough. They do not, and it often comes down to where there are gaps in the department, and the tiniest little things in the final cut. It's always wise to remember that the process is, in other words, a bit of a crapshoot in some regards.

Saying that, if I fail this time around (would be my second), I'll probably begin searching frantically for some other way to come to America (internship, and going through my savings, etc), while applying one more time... my fiancee is already over there studying graduate philosophy, and I don't fancy another year spent stuck here in the UK, living like a pauper, and spending all my money on coming over to visit as regularly as my wallet allows... In the case of an internship/migrant labour/etc, I'll probably also try to visit as many of the departments as I can. I've been told I've got a competitive application, and I managed to visit my top choice this time around (and the reaction was pretty good), and I just reckon it's a good addition to any application if the department permits it.

This is early days yet, but I would also encourage any people who don't make it to get in touch with the graduate directors of the programs they applied for or POIs (after giving them a month or so post-application to catch a breath), and see if it's possible to get any advice on what went wrong/ways to improve your application to that school. The worst that happens is you get no reply at all, but on the other hand they'll sometimes be willing to give you comprehensive and helpful advice.

Anyway, here's keeping fingers crossed that there won't be a third time for me, and that this time next year I'll be freezing my butt off in a northeast snowstorm (but with the comfortable knowledge of having made it), as opposed to freezing my butt off in a badly heated Scottish apartment. ;P

After graduating with my BA in 2011, I worked as a High School English Teacher for the year. And let me tell you, it was the worst year of my life. I hated teaching at that level mostly because of the lack of respect that I recieved from both the students and parents.The area that I live in is also really tough and poor so that adds to the hostile environment of the school and the students behavior.

I hear you. A year and a half spent teaching English as a second language in a primary school. I have nothing against small kids, but I'm really not the type of person who can sing "Itsy bitsy spider" with 10 year olds, and sincerely enjoy it. :P

The older kids and puberty are also nothing to look forward to.

If I don't get in, I'll just continue to work my ass off at my current job, which is pretty cool, actually (the problem is that I work 15 hours a day, no weekends, and no life), I'll read more published papers in my intended field of study, write a better WS, and reapply, reapply, reapply. And then reapply some more.

I kid of envy you people for all these possibilities to get published. Over here, zero chance. I don't even know where I'd start or who I'd contact. How do you do it?

Edited by The Whistler

If I didn't get anywhere, I'll be very depressed of course. But I'll surely work more on my GRE and I'll think about taking the subject test if possible. I'll also do my best to write a better writing sample. I don't think I can write a better personal statement, I liked it a lot. While doing this, I'll keep working and saving money for my future plans. I still have hopes for this year though  :rolleyes: . Wish you all the best too. 

Happy to see that the common reply is not some variation of "roll-over-and-die."  :)

I do have a question, however: how CAN we improve our chances next time around? (I know I can raise my GRE--162 V/158Q/5AW--and I can retake the Subject exam, but I can't really adjust my BA--4.0 out of Rutgers.) I thought about taking some more courses at a small, private college to bolster my WS and make some contacts.

Happy to see that the common reply is not some variation of "roll-over-and-die."  :)

I do have a question, however: how CAN we improve our chances next time around? (I know I can raise my GRE--162 V/158Q/5AW--and I can retake the Subject exam, but I can't really adjust my BA--4.0 out of Rutgers.) I thought about taking some more courses at a small, private college to bolster my WS and make some contacts.

I think the answer to that is: the more, the better. Anything that shows you're genuinely interested and willing to sacrifice for the cause (but still eminently moldable). For example, after my failure last year, I spent a few months saving up enough money to put myself through a one year research masters this year, and have managed to obtain some university-level teaching (and soon lecturing) experience. Making contacts at the universities you want to go to seems like a great idea, as well... or even doing some extra courses, as you're thinking about. I reckon, as I said, it's just about showing that you are remaining active in the subject, and also trying to improve yourself academically.

“Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether" - Hunter S. Thompson

^My plan B

“Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether" - Hunter S. Thompson

^My plan B

Pint of ether--haha. When my dad was doing his post-doc (in orgo) he and his friends drank ethyl alcholol!

Your plan B is my dream. 

It would be really beneficial to my studies, since I'm very interested in Brazilian literature. A few of my professors have connections down there and they've agreed to write some letters and hook me up at a university in Rio. So it's not a pipe dream, it could really happen.

Living in Detroit with some friends, continuing to teach (though I am also looking for other jobs but eh, I am just happy to have an income), interning in politics (stretching out my Political Science major muscles), drinking a ton of local beer, making jam, working on reapplying. I figure I have at least one more cycle in me before I give up and head to law school.

I kid of envy you people for all these possibilities to get published. Over here, zero chance. I don't even know where I'd start or who I'd contact. How do you do it?

You aren't as likely to run into random possibilities through networking, but there are a ton of calls of papers here, and a number are for publications: http://call-for-papers.sas.upenn.edu/

Edited by asleepawake

For all of us sinking into the abyss of despair: what is your backup plan if the admissions committees should frown upon you?

If you are going to apply again, what's the new-and-improved strategy?

Just a note of hope: this is my third app. cycle and I got into a solid program with 6 years funding/fellowship.

I was, like some of the other posts, demoralized by the shock of unfamiliar failure. I just decided it was less painful to keep working at it than it was to wallow.

My new and improved strategy was to retake the GRE (the first time I skipped the math section not thinking it mattered which was ludicrous, obviously), retool my statement, and write a new sample. I improved the statement and sample by making them more integrated with eachother and also more conservative. My 1st sample was an old paper on Kafka and Borges which got me on a waitlist but clearly is not right for an ENG application. The second year my sample was on poetics but included Dickinson, Language Poetry, and Twitter: too much pop-culture studies sillyness, which may be ok once you're in a program but isn't good for GETTING in as I found out. This time I wrote on just a single Dickinson poem and threw in some Heidegger and Auerbach.

My plan B was to keep working in construction (where I've been for 12 years) while I reapplied, listening to lectures etc. at work on MP3.