Getting into only 1 place or not your top choice, scientifically might make you happier.

Deadmeat

Thought I'd share this great TED talk while we all wait on decisions about how we make our own happiness and how in fact when given a lack of chose we often end up happier with our decision.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy.html

I actually thought back about some recent small and major decisions and honestly this talk really made lot of sense with what I ended up being happy with. Very interesting stuff!

Edited by Deadmeat

Deady, this is so interesting, but personally, anecdotally (now that I think about it), it seems to be true for me. I agonized over my undergrad school, and still to this day regret my decision. However, for my Masters, I only applied to one school (as part of a special dual-degree program -- only because of the people, and it's a long story) and was extremely happy with the program and my "decision". Thank you for the TED talk link! Perhaps I've already jinxed my future happiness with my 8 applications though xD

Ugh I kind of wished I only got into 1 school now because of that.  Don't get me wrong though, I'm incredibly grateful for my acceptances, but it's true it makes it harder to decide and be satisfied.

Thought I'd share this great TED talk while we all wait on decisions about how we make our own happiness and how in fact when given a lack of chose we often end up happier with our decision.

I actually thought back about some recent small and major decisions and honestly this talk really made lot of sense with what I ended up being happy with. Very interesting stuff!

I love Dan Gilbert! Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!!

This was absolutely fascinating! Thanks for sharing it :)

I've secretly been praying for only one acceptance or only one that was viable (i.e. offered enough funding for Ramen). This happened when I was applying for my Master's. Maybe it was lucky the one viable one was my top choice? But either way, it made it so much sweeter not to wonder what-if.