Master's SSHRC 2013

GradSchoolLove

Hey Diakonos, I'm in BC, and just got my letter yesterday - pretty much immediately before I got it, I received an email very much like the one you received. From McGill too, actually (they were the school I named in my application, although not the one I'll be attending). So I am quite sure you did win it.

Stats when I applied:

I was finishing my Honours BA

3.92 CGPA (4.0 in major subject)

No TA-ships or RA-ships

Six internal scholarships

Thanks for letting me know! I still haven't received any letter, and am pretty nervous. Congrats!

For the BC people, do you live in Vancouver? I live out of Vancouver and haven't gotten a letter yet... praying that it's just waiting to get to me between cities.

I live in Burnaby, which is right next to Vancouver proper. Still haven't gotten mine...

I applied to clinical psychology programs, which are ridiculously competitive (I'm still surprised I got interviews). I'm pretty sure the interviews is when stuff went wrong (I wasn't well during the interviews, and I'm not sure how much of that came across). I'm going to try contacting the departments to see if they'll reconsider my application (it couldn't hurt anyhow).

Good luck! I hope that you hear good news!

I see. Let me know how it goes! Tri-council funding is always a plus for these kinds of things!

Edited by Diakonos

I live in Abbotsford, BC and received my letter on Wednesday.  Two friends from Langley also got their letters that day.

Edited by Shiver

Congrats!

Will you be attending Windsor in the fall? I spoke to the grad studies and they said the top-up of 5500$ for having sshrc is not automatic. They are waiting on government approval and funding.

When I was accepted to Windsor's program I got the entrance scholarship (5500) in with my acceptance letter. Tomorrow I will email them accepting my SSHRC, and ask if I will still be able to hold my entrance scholarship too. I will let you know ASAP. 

This is probably a silly question, but I am going to ask it anyways: I just received my letter and it says that the results are under embargo and that it is to be kept strictly confidential until the official announcement.  Does that mean I literally can't tell anyone?  Or is it just saying that results shouldn't be published online by schools or anything?  Thank you!

So, it turns out that SSHRC had sent out my letter to my old address, though I had changed it well in advance. But I got it! Yay.

Yellowfish, I think they mean you shouldn't go out of your way to announce it to the world, especially in written/published form. But I honestly don't know how serious they are about this. I mean, I'm sure most people on this thread have notified their facebook worlds of the fact that the government just gave them $17500. Go ahead and tell your loved ones; shout it from your proverbial mountaintop. It's celebration time!

I'm in AB and got my letter today (dated May 10, and received in the post office May 17). The alternate in my department got a letter dated the same as mine so perhaps quotas went up?

Cordyceps, I think that would depend if you were an alternate. If you are an alternate, there is no set deadline. I have heard of people getting the reward even in December. But if you were sent forward with no strings attached, I imagine you should have heard by now, and you might want to email SSHRC.

Stupid question, perhaps: is the "award number" the same thing as the "file number"? I cannot, for the life of me, find this "award number". I received exactly 3 sides of paper in the mail: a NOTICE OF AWARD listing my file number, start date, duration, and amount; a letter telling me to indemnify SSHRC and telling me how to start activating the award; and the congratulatory letter from the Director.

Would appreciate any help!

Cordyceps, I think that would depend if you were an alternate. If you are an alternate, there is no set deadline. I have heard of people getting the reward even in December. But if you were sent forward with no strings attached, I imagine you should have heard by now, and you might want to email SSHRC.

Stupid question, perhaps: is the "award number" the same thing as the "file number"? I cannot, for the life of me, find this "award number". I received exactly 3 sides of paper in the mail: a NOTICE OF AWARD listing my file number, start date, duration, and amount; a letter telling me to indemnify SSHRC and telling me how to start activating the award; and the congratulatory letter from the Director.

Would appreciate any help!

I put the file number as the award number. Using the best inference I could make, this was the decision I made when I filled out my part 1 & 2. 

I live in Abbotsford and just got my letter today! (May 29!) 1 week after other people - talk about fear haha but yay it was a good letter!

I have a form 2 questions:

"start date of degree program or postdoctoral studies" - If I started last year, do I put start date as September 1 2012?

So do I scan both forms, and my acceptance letter, AND then email it to my university? and then they complete the rest of form 2 and send it on to SSHRC for me?

Yes, I am an alternate. I guess I'll have to wait to get a positive or negative answer!

Mhm. Unfortunately you just won't know if/when you'll get one. I was an alternate last year and I just never heard from them. It's really quite an unfortunate system.

I put the file number as the award number. Using the best inference I could make, this was the decision I made when I filled out my part 1 & 2. 

Yes, this is what I did too. I asked a friend who won it last year and she said that's what she did, too. Thanks for your response.

I live in Abbotsford and just got my letter today! (May 29!) 1 week after other people - talk about fear haha but yay it was a good letter!

I have a form 2 questions:

"start date of degree program or postdoctoral studies" - If I started last year, do I put start date as September 1 2012?

So do I scan both forms, and my acceptance letter, AND then email it to my university? and then they complete the rest of form 2 and send it on to SSHRC for me?

Congrats! I put September 1 2012 as my start date, since that's when I started my degree program. I don't know about scanning or mailing - I think it might depend on the university. I scanned Form 1 part 1 and Form 1 part 2, along with my Notice of Award, and sent it to the Graduate Studies faculty. I haven't heard any response yet. But my understanding is that they complete the rest of form 2 and send it to SSHRC, yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hullo, all! Just wanted to give hope to other alternates--I just heard that I will now be a recipient! Now I just need to figure out how to repay OGS and switch to SSHRC, if possible...

Best of luck to everyone :)

I was an alternate too and I found out yesterday afternoon.

SSHRC emailed me and said the official notification is in the mail. I immediately emailed my advisor and he responded with "I knew about a week ago".

Ugh! Everyday for the past month or so, I checked my mailbox with nervous anticipation. It was torture. As much as I enjoyed the surprise, it would have been really nice to know about a week ago too!

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my SSHRC situation: apparently emailing the departments I applied to worked! I have now been accepted into a psychology MA program! So it's worth a shot!

Edited by FacelessMage

• 6 months later...

*CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS*

A Student Guide to Writing SSHRC Proposals

Editor: Caitlin Forsey, Sociology, University of British Columbia

Editorial Assistant: Lauren Menzie

The purpose of this project is to produce a guide that offers advice on how to write a successful SSHRC proposal. The content will include: 1) a review of the literature on successful grant writing techniques 2) a description of “best practices” used by prior applicants; 3) a wide selection of unedited proposals to be used as templates for future applicants; and 4) a list of common issues and mistakes from the perspective of those who evaluate SSHRC proposals. The project aims to support students in applying for graduate funding and to offer SSHRC award holders with an opportunity to publish their proposal at an important time in their career. 

Submission Themes

The book will be used as a resource guide for students who are applying for SSHRC funding. The goal is to include a wide variety of proposals that reflect each discipline currently funded by SSHRC:

Anthropology                                                                                     Interdisciplinary Studies/Women’s Studies

Archaeology                                                                                        Law

Archival Science                                                                                 Library and Information Science

Classics                                                                                                Linguistics

Communication and Media Studies                                               Literature and Modern Language

Criminology                                                                                       Philosophy

Demography                                                                                      Management/Business/Admin

Economics                                                                                           Medieval Studies

Education                                                                                            Political Science

Fine Arts                                                                                              Psychology

Folklore                                                                                                Religious Studies

Geography                                                                                          Social Work

History                                                                                                 Sociology

Industrial Relations                                                                            Urban and Regional Studies

Submission Guidelines

We are inviting voluntary submissions of unedited SSHRC proposals that were successful at the MA and PhD-level competitions. The deadline for submission is Friday January 24th, 2014. Submissions and questions regarding the book can be directed to Caitlin Forsey at c.forsey@alumni.ubc.ca