Master's SSHRC 2013

GradSchoolLove

Hi MA SSHRC applicants!  I've received the good news that my application was recommended to SSHRC and wanted to start a thread for people with questions and to have a safe place to be excited about possibly winning! I don't know about you, but I feel very awkward being recommended and not being able to talk about it with my cohort since I know others applied and don't want to come off as rude asking if they heard good news too.  Anyway, happy SSHRC 2013!

I was wondering, when I submitted my application I selected a SSHRC start date of September 1 2013 - but now realized I should have selected May 1 2013 and then wait for back payments assuming I hear mid May of the results.  My application has been recommended by my University, does anyone know the rules about changing your start date???

yes you can switch dates and get backpay, you just have to notify them when you are doing the acceptance paperwork and they'll change it.

OH! so it's just when I accept the award that I can change it - because I'm an MA student now... and I was just reading online that if I were to contact them and change my start date it could influence my eligibility but maybe that's for students who are entering an MA program for their first year? - so just waiting till I'm awarded and THEN changing the start date is totally fine?!

ya, i don't know about doing it before knowing you have a SSHRC (it might make things complicated and/or raise unnecessary red flags if they think you're changing it b/c of something related to eligibility?), but I switched my start date for my MA SSHRC as I described above (I applied as a MA student, not as an incoming undergrad too). SSHRC sent me an email saying I got the award, and when I responded to confirm the acceptance, I also asked to switch the start date.

Edited by JerriBlank

ya, i don't know about doing it before knowing you have a SSHRC (it might make things complicated and/or raise unnecessary red flags if they think you're changing it b/c of something related to eligibility?), but I switched my start date for my MA SSHRC as I described above (I applied as a MA student, not as an incoming undergrad too). SSHRC sent me an email saying I got the award, and when I responded to confirm the acceptance, I also asked to switch the start date.

thank you so much :)  This is excellent news :) My project isn't very long so I will be done by April 2014... then when I saw that if I started September 2013 I would miss out on 4 months of funding I kind of freaked out a bit.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience as an alternate?  My school was only allocated 4 SSHRCS, and 1 alternate (me).  

For stats purposes:  3.97 GPA, 2 RAs (including supervision of other RAs), 1 presentation, 1 publication, 6 substantial awards (including a few research awards) and a lot of volunteer work in my area of research.  

Any guesses as to what my chances might be?  It's my understanding that I would hear in the fall if I were to be chosen, is this correct?

I was an alternate my first SSHRC application.  The chances are medium.  Someone in from the A-list ie. those 4 people have to turn down the funding is from my understanding of the only way you win. Of those 4 students, 1 could not get into a program and have to decline or just no longer decide to go to grad school - I never got any email or letter in the fall about anything for my application as an alternate.  But keep your hopes up, I do know someone who one as an alternate, she was notified in October of her first year in her MA.

Hi All,

I understand that SSHRC requires your GPA to be above 3.67 for your last two years of schooling but do they weigh in at all on your first two years (of your undergrad)?  I am wondering because my final two year GPA is 3.9 but my overall is only 3.59.

I would still apply if your final 2 years is a 3.9.  I don't know how much they weigh in - but the departmental letter that you get from the head of your department has to calculate the last 2 years of your gpa and write it in their letter, so that tells me they focus in on that number and not the whole 4 years :) 

Kris_1010 - I totally get how you feel, it is incredibly awkward to be the only one who moved on from the department. I even got a congratulations letter (for receiving the award) from my supervisor who must've misunderstood something. Anyway, it seems we have a while to wait, folks didn't find out last year until May 28, or in Alberta (where I am) on June 1.

Has anyone heard how often it happens that someone who moves onto Ottawa on the 'A' list is NOT offered an award?

Best of luck!

I would still apply if your final 2 years is a 3.9.  I don't know how much they weigh in - but the departmental letter that you get from the head of your department has to calculate the last 2 years of your gpa and write it in their letter, so that tells me they focus in on that number and not the whole 4 years :)

This is good to know.  Thank you!!

Kris_1010 - I totally get how you feel, it is incredibly awkward to be the only one who moved on from the department. I even got a congratulations letter (for receiving the award) from my supervisor who must've misunderstood something. Anyway, it seems we have a while to wait, folks didn't find out last year until May 28, or in Alberta (where I am) on June 1.

Has anyone heard how often it happens that someone who moves onto Ottawa on the 'A' list is NOT offered an award?

Best of luck!

What do you mean moves onto Ottawa - do you mean say you applied through Queens and you plan to do your MA at UofOttawa? it's based on the school you *applied through* so it doesn't matter where you go - it might have been a reason you made it to the A-list, but it won't be a reason you'd be removed from it.  The only way you WON'T get a SSHRC after being on the A-list is if SSHRC changes the quota they gave to whatever school you applied through.  So say you applied through Queens for your SSHRC, and you said you're doing your MA at UofOttawa - if SSHRC changes the quota for Queens - you may be bumped off (depending what your rank is on the list) if SSHRC changes the quota for Ottawa it won't affect your application through Queens - this is just a hypothetical at which universities you applied through / to - but it's the same everywhere. 

kris - When I say "moves onto Ottawa" I mean the application is sent from my university onto SSHRC (sorry for the confusion!). I'm still planning on doing my MA at my current school. SO, does what you said mean that all universities only send their alotted quota onto SSHRC? Have you ever heard of a quota changing?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been recommended by my institution for a SSHRC (yay!), congrats to all of you who are also being considered. I was wondering what people know about "clawback" policies. I was informed by Queens that their funding offer would be clawed back 100% of the amount of any external scholarship I received, but in the case of a SSHRC there would be a "Tri-Council top-up" (or something like that). The other offers I received were less specific. Any one have any information on other major institutions (ie. Toronto, UBC, McGill)? If they don't specify should I expect 100% clawback?

Edited by drdouglas

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear from SSHRC if we were recommended by our university? Also, does SSHRC ever reject people who were recommended by their universities? 

I received an email from SSHRC yesterday acknowledging that they have my application.  Check your junkmail!

I received an email from SSHRC yesterday acknowledging that they have my application.  Check your junkmail!

They've acknowledged that they have mine too but I'm wondering when they will announce the actual results, i.e. did I actually get the award? They said "later this spring" but couldn't be more specific. Anyone know from previous years when they come out?

I was sent a letter a month ago by my fac of grad studies that I was an alternate for my school, but I received an email today saying that my application has been received by the SSHRCouncil (along with an application number). Does anyone know what this means? Does it just mean that I'm officially an alternate for the award?

I have been recommended by my institution for a SSHRC (yay!), congrats to all of you who are also being considered. I was wondering what people know about "clawback" policies. I was informed by Queens that their funding offer would be clawed back 100% of the amount of any external scholarship I received, but in the case of a SSHRC there would be a "Tri-Council top-up" (or something like that). The other offers I received were less specific. Any one have any information on other major institutions (ie. Toronto, UBC, McGill)? If they don't specify should I expect 100% clawback?

I currently have a Master's SSHRC from Toronto (and I think McGill is the same, not sure though) and yeah, the way it is at my school is that, if you get a SSHRC, you don't receive the guaranteed department funding that you would otherwise get if you didn't get a SSHRC. However, as a sort of reward for getting a SSHRC (and saving your dept a lot of money), you'll get a top-up of a few thousand dollars. Is that what you mean by "100% clawback?" 

sparrowbirdie, I am an alternate and also received that email--I guess they get the alternates' applications along with the A-listers' ones, in case an A-lister doesn't accept it. Here's hoping that is the case for both of us! ;)

I currently have a Master's SSHRC from Toronto (and I think McGill is the same, not sure though) and yeah, the way it is at my school is that, if you get a SSHRC, you don't receive the guaranteed department funding that you would otherwise get if you didn't get a SSHRC. However, as a sort of reward for getting a SSHRC (and saving your dept a lot of money), you'll get a top-up of a few thousand dollars. Is that what you mean by "100% clawback?" 

That's exactly what I meant, thanks goldheartmountaintop! May I ask, were you still able to apply for TAships?

sparrowbirdie, I am an alternate and also received that email--I guess they get the alternates' applications along with the A-listers' ones, in case an A-lister doesn't accept it. Here's hoping that is the case for both of us! ;)

Congratulations to you both on being an alternate!  I was an alternate in the MA competition last year, and you're right; you can be awarded a SSHRC award if someone from your school declines.  Also, last year they did not send out letters to the alternates, so know that you probably won't be contacted unless an award becomes available after the acceptance deadline.

For interest's sake, my school sent on 5 alternates and I did not end up receiving an award, but one of my peers (from the same program as me) was also an alternate and did receive an award.  So there's definitely the possibility of getting an award while an alternate.