Master's SSHRC 2013

GradSchoolLove

I received my notice of award from SSHRC in the mail today. The offer letter is dated May 10th. I've been following the Twitter feed and haven't seen anything about the letters going out, but nonetheless, here it is!

I received my notice of award from SSHRC in the mail today. The offer letter is dated May 10th. I've been following the Twitter feed and haven't seen anything about the letters going out, but nonetheless, here it is!

Congratulations!  What was the date on the envelope?

Congratulations!  What was the date on the envelope?

the offer letter is dated May 10th according to the reply. 

I got an email this afternoon from my Faculty of Graduate Studies to tell me how to accept the award (if I receive a letter) and that they heard the letters were put in the box for mailing on May 17.

I got my official letter yesterday. For Concordia students, any idea how that topoff award of 6000 works? I thought that recipients just got it but then on the site it says for people activating a SSHRC at the official start date of their program of study... 

I got my official letter yesterday. For Concordia students, any idea how that topoff award of 6000 works? I thought that recipients just got it but then on the site it says for people activating a SSHRC at the official start date of their program of study... 

It is an automatic top-up I believe. I was alerted I would get it when I received FQRSC. Just get in contact with Dolly Grewal, she sets it up for you. Congrats!

My undergraduate department in Windsor just let me know I received the Sshrc threw email (with paperwork to come). Yeah!

Just got mine via mail! I will be starting at U of T in September. I hope this post helps with the waiting! Good luck everyone.

dream&perservere: do you think we need to notify SGS at UofT ? or just the graduate department? thanks :)

SSHRC notices made it to BC today:)

I am a direct applicant - beginning my MA in September 2013.

No RA's or TA's.

GPA 3.91

Not too sure what else to put.

Congrats to everyone who has received one and good luck to those of you who are still waiting...

I just was notified (in BC) that I received a SSHRC!  I'm surprised that I heard this early, as I was an alternate!  There's hope for all!

My stats:

GPA 3.97 last two years

2 RA's (managing other RAs)

Several scholarships

Best of luck to everyone!

Got my notice in Alberta today! Unfortunately I didn't get accepted to any programs (well, there's still UBC Okanagan, but who knows when they'll let applicants know), so I'll have to decline. Does anyone know if it's worth emailing the departments I was rejected from to see if they'll reconsider if I have external funding? Also, if I decline, can I put that I won this (but declined) on my CV next year when I apply?

My stats:

Applied through my university

GPA (last two years): 3.91

Lots of RA work

One pending publication

Got my notice in Alberta today! Unfortunately I didn't get accepted to any programs (well, there's still UBC Okanagan, but who knows when they'll let applicants know), so I'll have to decline. Does anyone know if it's worth emailing the departments I was rejected from to see if they'll reconsider if I have external funding? Also, if I decline, can I put that I won this (but declined) on my CV next year when I apply?

My stats:

Applied through my university

GPA (last two years): 3.91

Lots of RA work

One pending publication

This is very strange. You should absolutely email them, letting them know you have external funding (especially if they are Canadian schools). From what I've read on other threads, departments will often reconsider and offer admission. And by the way, your stats merit heavy consideration for entry in your program -- I have no idea what those admissions committees were thinking. Maybe your reference letters weren't as strong as they needed to be...? But I'm confident that if you talk to them, they'll think hard about accepting you. You are clearly accomplished and pay for much of your own studies. Good luck!

I got an email from Graduate Studies today telling me how to activate my award "if have received an award offer", and yet within that same email it congratulates me on my SSHRC. So it seems like a yes? No letter mail for me today in BC, though two others got it today -- congratulations, by the way!

I won't celebrate mine til the piece of paper tells me so.

My stats at time of application:

GPA: 4.30 during last two years

Graduate RAships

A few minor scholarships (ranging from $500 - $6000)

Hopefully I'm put out of my misery tomorrow!

Hey Diakonos, I'm in BC, and just got my letter yesterday - pretty much immediately before I got it, I received an email very much like the one you received. From McGill too, actually (they were the school I named in my application, although not the one I'll be attending). So I am quite sure you did win it.

Stats when I applied:

I was finishing my Honours BA

3.92 CGPA (4.0 in major subject)

No TA-ships or RA-ships

Six internal scholarships

Got my paper letter yesterday (in AB), have to ask for the payment to start retroactively from May 1 though, when I originally said Sept 1. Emailed them, hope it can be done!

This is very strange. You should absolutely email them, letting them know you have external funding (especially if they are Canadian schools). From what I've read on other threads, departments will often reconsider and offer admission. And by the way, your stats merit heavy consideration for entry in your program -- I have no idea what those admissions committees were thinking. Maybe your reference letters weren't as strong as they needed to be...? But I'm confident that if you talk to them, they'll think hard about accepting you. You are clearly accomplished and pay for much of your own studies. Good luck!

I got an email from Graduate Studies today telling me how to activate my award "if have received an award offer", and yet within that same email it congratulates me on my SSHRC. So it seems like a yes? No letter mail for me today in BC, though two others got it today -- congratulations, by the way!

I won't celebrate mine til the piece of paper tells me so.

My stats at time of application:

GPA: 4.30 during last two years

Graduate RAships

A few minor scholarships (ranging from $500 - $6000)

Hopefully I'm put out of my misery tomorrow!

I applied to clinical psychology programs, which are ridiculously competitive (I'm still surprised I got interviews). I'm pretty sure the interviews is when stuff went wrong (I wasn't well during the interviews, and I'm not sure how much of that came across). I'm going to try contacting the departments to see if they'll reconsider my application (it couldn't hurt anyhow).

Good luck! I hope that you hear good news!

I'm in Alberta and got a letter in the mail a couple days ago at my parents. I was out of town so I had to wait till today to open it (excruciating!) but I have been lucky enough to receive the award. Congrats to all that have and good luck to those waiting to hear!!

Received the good news in Ontario a couple of days ago.

not sure of the GPA but my overall average throughout my degree was 82

No RA or TA

One major award

I was turned down from OGS but received SSHRC. My average was not great but my proposal was unique. I do not think the internal committee's see a lot of constitutional sexual assault law proposals.

I have a question regarding the forms. The forms ask for an award number but I do not see where I would find that. Are they referring to my reference number?

My undergraduate department in Windsor just let me know I received the Sshrc threw email (with paperwork to come). Yeah!

Congrats!

Will you be attending Windsor in the fall? I spoke to the grad studies and they said the top-up of 5500$ for having sshrc is not automatic. They are waiting on government approval and funding.