Master's SSHRC 2013

GradSchoolLove

Hey guys! I figure I might as well add my stats, if it helps. I was forwarded this year to the Ottawa competition, receiving my notice on February 5. 1st year MA at McGill. Had an 89% average last two years, and this year I received an RAship and a minor entrance scholarship. My understanding is that forwarded applicants have a pretty good chance of getting it. I was put forth as an alternate last year and did hear back from SSHRC ever, unfortunately.

Does anyone know if the clawback is the same at the PhD level? I'm particularly interested in the UofT PhD program, which apparently offers tuition paid + 15k. If you get the doctoral SSHRC, do most schools tend to claw back the tuition offer too, or just the fellowship money? And do American schools claw back their financial support if they know you have a SSHRC?

Thanks for the help, guys.

I wish they would be a little more specific than "spring 2013." I am so anxious to find out the results! I've heard so many different dates thrown around - from late March to late-May. I just wish I had a better idea of what to expect! And it will be nice to know how much I need to worry about saving up before heading off to school in September. Has anyone applied for a Master's SSHRC in the past, or known someone who has? Any idea when people were notified about the results? 

On another note, I'm curious if anyone knows much about the SSHRC MA scholarship for past years. When I was talking to a prof about grad school in September-ish, he brought up the SSHRC grant and seemed to think it was about $30 grand. Has the amount gone down in recent years due to budget cuts? I'll be happy to receive it either way, but I'm just curious if the amount has changed or if my prof was maybe just thinking of the doctoral version of the grant. 

Good luck everyone!

That's exactly what I meant, thanks goldheartmountaintop! May I ask, were you still able to apply for TAships?

No problem! And yes, I was still able to apply for (in fact, required to apply for) TAships. That's because my tuition is waived as part of my MA, though, so I believe the TAships are supposed to help with that. Moreover, I had approximately the same number of TA hours allocated to me as people who don't have a SSHRC, so I guess TAships are completely independent from SSHRC.

Edited by goldheartmountaintop

I wish they would be a little more specific than "spring 2013." I am so anxious to find out the results! I've heard so many different dates thrown around - from late March to late-May. I just wish I had a better idea of what to expect! And it will be nice to know how much I need to worry about saving up before heading off to school in September. Has anyone applied for a Master's SSHRC in the past, or known someone who has? Any idea when people were notified about the results? 

On another note, I'm curious if anyone knows much about the SSHRC MA scholarship for past years. When I was talking to a prof about grad school in September-ish, he brought up the SSHRC grant and seemed to think it was about $30 grand. Has the amount gone down in recent years due to budget cuts? I'll be happy to receive it either way, but I'm just curious if the amount has changed or if my prof was maybe just thinking of the doctoral version of the grant. 

Good luck everyone!

As mentioned by another member, last year the letters were sent out and received around the end of May.  In the past, it has been a bit before that, but it all just depends on how many awards they have to give out and how long it takes them to decide.  That's why we get the description of "spring 2013" as when the results will be sent out.  I applied for SSHRC last year, and was sent as an alternate from my school, which meant I didn't hear anything at all, ever.  Hopefully that's not your case!

In past years, MA SSHRC grants have been a similar amount of money ($17 500).  Remember that a lot of schools provide "top ups", so the total value you receive could be higher and more around the $30 000 mark (school dependent).  I know Waterloo provides an extra $10 000 to students who receive SSHRC or OGS.  The prof could have also been thinking about doctoral scholarships, which are certainly higher than MA SSHRC awards.

• 2 weeks later...

My grad coordinator said in past years people have heard in April/May. I know last year was May, but is anyone else starting to get hopeful? I'm already stalking SSHRC's twitter. 

My grad coordinator said in past years people have heard in April/May. I know last year was May, but is anyone else starting to get hopeful? I'm already stalking SSHRC's twitter. 

I have been very hopeful lately! And I started following SSHRC too!

But that may be more due to the fact that I just, just found out what being A-listed by my university actually meant. All this time I thought being A-listed meant that you made it to the next round of competition, which was very nice, but in competing with the rest of the country I figured I didn't have a chance. Just recently did I bother researching the evaluation process to find out that every university is allocated a certain number of awards.

I'm still pinching myself! Although... I'm very afraid that at this point I'll become that 1% of people who don't get it because of budget cuts, or because of some fine print that makes me not eligible... I hope we find out soon!

Does anybody know how Western University deals with external awards? I know my funding package will change, but I can't find anything on their "clawback/top-up" policy, if they have one at all. So if anyone has experience with such things at Western, I would really appreciate hearing about your experience!

Does anybody know how Western University deals with external awards? I know my funding package will change, but I can't find anything on their "clawback/top-up" policy, if they have one at all. So if anyone has experience with such things at Western, I would really appreciate hearing about your experience!

I am not at Western, but I sent an email to my department administrator politely asking how they compete with universities such as the University of Waterloo that offer significant top-ups. I got a response the next day saying they offer $3000.00 to all SSHRC recipients. In terms of clawback, your university should have a Graduate Awards Policy. Mine says that multiple awards cannot be held in conjunction with a Tri-Council award. If you can't find it, email your Faculty of Graduate Studies for a copy. Good Luck!

I have been recommended by my institution for a SSHRC (yay!), congrats to all of you who are also being considered. I was wondering what people know about "clawback" policies. I was informed by Queens that their funding offer would be clawed back 100% of the amount of any external scholarship I received, but in the case of a SSHRC there would be a "Tri-Council top-up" (or something like that). The other offers I received were less specific. Any one have any information on other major institutions (ie. Toronto, UBC, McGill)? If they don't specify should I expect 100% clawback?

My understanding of this 'clawback' is that the institution deducts the cost of the external award from your guaranteed funding (usually in the form of a fellowship).  So if you're fellowship is $15000, when you win SSHRC the institution would be off the hook for the total amount of your fellowship. As a small gesture they often provide externally funded students with a top up of $1000, or $1500 or something along those lines.  From what I've heard this is not always the case (at some institutions external funding is just icing on the cake, you could say) but I know it is at UofT.  Anyway, I'd assume as much from any institution, but it doesn't hurt to drop their Graduate Coordinator an email and confirm.

Does anyone know if they only notify applicants by mail? I'm going to be away travelling for awhile, and there's no way my current landlord is capable of forwarding mail.

Does anyone know if they only notify applicants by mail? I'm going to be away travelling for awhile, and there's no way my current landlord is capable of forwarding mail.

Sorry mate, i think it's just mail :(

Sorry mate, i think it's just mail :(

hm I guess I'll try to get them to change my mailing address to a friend's place, assuming they haven't sent anything yet. Thanks!

I think it varies by program. I'm starting an MSc in Psychology at Western this fall; I know that in 2011-2012 the psych department offered a minimum top-up of $10,000 for external award winners. It may be slightly more now (since their minimum funding guarantee has gone up from $19k to $22k as well). You'll have to check with your program though!

Have you accepted Western already? Feel free to PM me if you want to chat :)

Also, does SSHRC ever reject people who were recommended by their universities? 

Has anyone heard how often it happens that someone who moves onto Ottawa on the 'A' list is NOT offered an award?

I asked the director of financial aid at my school about this, and she emailed me saying: "For the SSHRC Master's Award, there is no national adjudication of the applications.  Universities are given a quota they can send forward and providing the agency does not find anyone to be ineligible, those applicants will receive the scholarship."

So basically, as long as you meet all the eligibility requirements, you should definitely have it. :)

I have been recommended by my institution for a SSHRC (yay!), congrats to all of you who are also being considered. I was wondering what people know about "clawback" policies. I was informed by Queens that their funding offer would be clawed back 100% of the amount of any external scholarship I received, but in the case of a SSHRC there would be a "Tri-Council top-up" (or something like that). The other offers I received were less specific. Any one have any information on other major institutions (ie. Toronto, UBC, McGill)? If they don't specify should I expect 100% clawback?

Ah yes. This is common. The only school I've heard of NOT doing this is Carlton (but something tells me there's a reason for that).  So you must be applying for first year at Queens?  Basically this is how it works.  Say you're first year at Queens you received a package of $14000 and THEN you win the SSHRC worth $17500 - basically it doesn't ADD together - you're institution will take back their $14000 and you only get the $17500.  If you're funding package is worth $20000 and you win the SSHRC then you will get all $17500 from SSHRC and your school will now only give you $2500.  

If you are applying with your second year and (like Queens you're given 2 years of funding when you enter) you should still get your funding package for your second year but I would check.  You most likely will, but it may only add up to the same total.  So say you got $14000 for 2 years = $28000 if you win the SSHRC you may get the full SSHRC and then only $10500 for your second year.  BUT I may be wrong, and you could possibly (hopefully) get SSHRC year one, and then your full promised amount for year 2 and possibly = more than $28000.

For me for example, I was given a full funding package for my first year and I DIDN'T win the SSHRC for my first year.  Now for my second year I've been recommended and am waiting - but I actually still get funding from my uni until August 2013, and I want to start SSHRC May 1 2013, so I asked if I would lose my last 4 months of scholarship from my uni and I've been told no because technically SSHRC is for me 2013 2014 year and my previous scholarship was for my 2012 2013 year and so they won't conflict so I may luck out and get 2 scholarship direct deposits this summer *HERE'S HOPING!!!*  

depending how far you are from Ottawa - last year someone in Alberta heard June 1st, while people closer heard May 28th. 

I was sent a letter a month ago by my fac of grad studies that I was an alternate for my school, but I received an email today saying that my application has been received by the SSHRCouncil (along with an application number). Does anyone know what this means? Does it just mean that I'm officially an alternate for the award?

I don't know if anyone replied to you yet so I'm going to :)  It means that you've either made the Alternate OR A-list = both get sent to Ottawa and both lists get a confirmation email (I know because I've been on both lists).  You have to check with your Uni which list you're on :) but congrats! either way you made on of them!

kris - When I say "moves onto Ottawa" I mean the application is sent from my university onto SSHRC (sorry for the confusion!). I'm still planning on doing my MA at my current school. SO, does what you said mean that all universities only send their alotted quota onto SSHRC? Have you ever heard of a quota changing?

I've heard of the budget changing and people at the bottom of the list (because even if you made the A-list you're still ranked on that list) getting bumped off. But I don't know of a specific example - it's just one of those SSHRC stories I've heard.  So, here's hoping that you're ranked high / mid and not at the bottom so you don't get bumped off. That's why being on the A-list isn't 100% because of the fact that the quota can change between your Unis recommendation and time of actually giving the awards. 

I asked the director of financial aid at my school about this, and she emailed me saying: "For the SSHRC Master's Award, there is no national adjudication of the applications.  Universities are given a quota they can send forward and providing the agency does not find anyone to be ineligible, those applicants will receive the scholarship."

So basically, as long as you meet all the eligibility requirements, you should definitely have it. :)

and as long as the quota doesn't change

I've heard of the budget changing and people at the bottom of the list (because even if you made the A-list you're still ranked on that list) getting bumped off. But I don't know of a specific example - it's just one of those SSHRC stories I've heard.  So, here's hoping that you're ranked high / mid and not at the bottom so you don't get bumped off. That's why being on the A-list isn't 100% because of the fact that the quota can change between your Unis recommendation and time of actually giving the awards. 

Hi Kris,

Thanks for providing some answers to folks. I received this message a few weeks ago when I inquired about the quota and process:

"Our office is not able to release the rankings of individual students but that does not affect you at the national level.  We send the list of applicants forwarded alphabetically so that SSHRC does not know the internal ranking of each applicant.  Results from SSHRC will be announced anytime between May – June and all students will be notified before the university"

That seems to indicate that internal rankings don't actually impact SSHRC results. I understand someone else was told that there is no evaluation at the national level; however, there must be if rankings are not made clear to SSHRC?

It seems like the results get later and later every year...why do they pretend that we can start the award May 1st? 

This is a brilliant question, to which i'd also love a real response!!!