Chapel Hill

loubun85

I'm another MA admit for UNC. Thanks, loubun85! I just posted it on the results board today. My field is 18th/19th c. visual and material culture. Lamantin, I was rejected from Northwestern, too. So bummed! 

Edited by Flaneuse

Lamantin, the rejection stung for me as well, especially after the interview and supposedly being "high" on their list. Oh, well. Good luck with the rest of your applications as well! Anyways, at UNC, I'd plan on studying with Mary Sheriff as well as Daniel Sherman. I haven't contacted anyone yet. I want funding info to come in first then I'll really get serious about it. Does anyone know the specifics of how the program works if one wants to continue on for a PhD at UNC? I read some vague details on the website, but I couldn't gather anything super detailed. 

Institution Program (Season) Decision &Date St1 Date Added Notes UNC Chapel Hill Art History, Masters (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 25 Feb 2013 A 25 Feb 2013
  • GTH North Carolina. Based on the comments in the Forum, you accepted some real losers. Good luck with that.

•  

To this poster: Wow. Certainly all of the people on these forums know what it feels like to be rejected. It's really hard not to take it personally, no matter how many people tell you that it comes down to fit, blah, blah, blah. Turning in an application with your entire academic life on it makes one vulnerable and no matter how badly we want something, it doesn't always go our way. But not only do you come across as an immature, sore loser with your comments, but you sound ridiculous. Absolutely nothing I've seen of the posters who have been admitted to the UNC MA program even remotely leads anyone to believe they are losers. It's too bad for you that you weren't accepted, but based on your attitude, I think it's pretty lucky for anyone who would have been in your cohort. It's been noted previously, but I will reiterate: this forum is for people going through a really stressful process to find other people to lean on, learn from, and commiserate with. Grad school is really difficult and it can be made a lot easier if you are able to build friendships with the people around you, which is something you might want to consider if you do get accepted anywhere. 

Institution Program (Season) Decision &Date St1 Date Added Notes UNC Chapel Hill Art History, Masters (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 25 Feb 2013 A 25 Feb 2013
  • GTH North Carolina. Based on the comments in the Forum, you accepted some real losers. Good luck with that.

•  

To this poster: Wow. Certainly all of the people on these forums know what it feels like to be rejected. It's really hard not to take it personally, no matter how many people tell you that it comes down to fit, blah, blah, blah. Turning in an application with your entire academic life on it makes one vulnerable and no matter how badly we want something, it doesn't always go our way. But not only do you come across as an immature, sore loser with your comments, but you sound ridiculous. Absolutely nothing I've seen of the posters who have been admitted to the UNC MA program even remotely leads anyone to believe they are losers. It's too bad for you that you weren't accepted, but based on your attitude, I think it's pretty lucky for anyone who would have been in your cohort. It's been noted previously, but I will reiterate: this forum is for people going through a really stressful process to find other people to lean on, learn from, and commiserate with. Grad school is really difficult and it can be made a lot easier if you are able to build friendships with the people around you, which is something you might want to consider if you do get accepted anywhere. 

Thank you for posting this, Bearcat1. I was shocked to wake up to that note on the results board. It is important for everyone, even those who have been accepted to schools, to remember that  this process is, at the end of the day, a total random crapshoot. You cannot take any rejection personally. Nor is it a reflection of your character as a human being. I hope the angry UNC poster gets over his/her rage and remembers the reason he/she has applied to graduate school. I'm assuming it is because he/she loves studying the history of art and cannot imagine doing anything else for the rest of his/her life. That's where we all are and getting angry/discouraged isn't going to reverse a rejection or makes one's dreams a reality. Rather, a positive attitude and persistence work wonders. I've only been impressed by the postings I've seen on this forum and wish everyone still waiting the best of luck! 

The decision link is located in the letter itself once you log in to the application site. It's embedded into the text that asks you to respond. I haven't heard from them either. I contacted a POI and we're setting up a call in the next few days, but nothing official has been sent to me from the department itself. 

I applied to UNC and I haven't heard anything back and have checked the website.  Since people have posted acceptances and rejections, am I to assume I'm waitlisted? I'm a little confused.  

Do you think I should email the DGS? It is still pretty early in the application season comparatively.