MFA 2013 Waitinglist Support Group

jwu

Waiting list is a funny thing, you kind of feel good because it is not just a rejection, there is still chance. but meanwhile, it also means more WAITING... 

How are the other waitlisted folks holding up? Share your stories, and SUPPORT each other!

to the folks who have multiple offers and you are sure you won't go to xxx university, please inform admissions now, because we ALL know this waiting game is no fun. THANK YOU.

I hear you.  i was so relieved to not have been rejected from IUB but it's a weird feeling to be an alternate.  I know it's all about fit with the particular other people who have applied, so I'm trying to leave it at that and not read into it obsessively.  I haven't heard from the other school I applied to (Herron), they said they'll send out letters mid-March, which seems like an awfully long time unless they are "secretly" holding interviews or something in the meantime.  I wish there was something more I could do to talk with the people making the decisions and show them why I would be a good fit. 

since i only applied to two schools (just like i did back in 2010!) i'm not holding out hope of getting into either for sheer statistical reasons.  i figure if you don't apply to a bunch of different schools (at least 5, i'd say) you're taking a huge risk of not getting into a program.  these were the only two schools around here i wanted to apply to, and we're not moving anytime soon, so i'm taking my chances and hoping someone accepted to IUB will decide they'd rather not live in the middle of nowhere (compared to the east coast or west coast) and will go elsewhere so I can have their spot! :)

Edited by Emoree

Here's an interesting read that I found from one of Vince Gotera's articles on grad school Applications, titled "The Grad School Letter Arrives ... Now What?", that talks about responses from grad school. It's specifically about English MFA programs, but it's pretty applicable to this as well, and a great way to get thinking positively about things.

I quoted the relevant part for ease, but check out the whole essay. It's pretty useful.

Third, if you are placed on a waiting list ...

I would only tell your closest friends and relatives (and of course each professor who wrote you a letter of reference to that school). A professor who has some affiliation with that school may be able to "decode" what this means ... for example, what the likelihood is that you will be accepted eventually.

Don't feel slighted by a school placing you on a waiting list. Remember, all schools usually get many, many more graduate applications than they can accept. In many cases, this will mean that very highly qualified applicants will be "wait-listed" behind only slightly more qualified others.

Let's imagine you were competing with 499 other applicants for 15 slots. Let's say that after the top 15 applicants are selected, the school then slates 10 others in a waiting list. You are in the top 25 out of 500 — in this hypothetical example, you're in the top 5%!

Wait for letters from your other grad schools. If you end up on waiting lists at more than one school, you're doing pretty well. The more waiting lists you are on, the better your chances of getting accepted eventually. Look at it this way: given the scenario in the last paragraph, multiplied by five schools which have similar numbers, all five schools could be trying to acceptthe same five applicants. When those five applicants finally accept, twenty slots across those five schools will be freed up for people on waiting lists. If there were fifty people on waiting lists (again across the five schools), there will now be only thirty. If you are on more than one of those five waiting lists ... well, you get the picture.

Depending on how close you are to the top of a waiting list, you may be moved up into the acceptance "zone" before or after April 15. If you haven't heard anything by, say, April 8 (or somewhat earlier, if you can't stand the waiting), I would suggest calling (not e-mailing) the graduate director or whoever signed your waiting-list letter and find out how far you are from the top of the list. It's entirely possible that a subsequent letter of acceptance from that school went awry. Again, if there is sufficient time before April 15 (let's say it's April 1), then you might consider following Dr. Husband's advice above and write a focused letter instead of calling.

If you are near the top of the waiting list and within reasonable reach of possible acceptance, most graduate directors will tell you (though of course they will also make no promises). At the very least, you will leave a good impression with the graduate director that could help, in some small way, to get you accepted — if not this year, maybe the next.

Have good heart. It is entirely possible for an applicant on a waiting list to not only get accepted but even offered funding in the long run. Again, remember that sometimes this can happen after April 15. Remember, too, what an achievement it is to be placed on a waiting list — it's a good omen about the likelihood that you will be accepted to grad school in another year.

Also, though a bit late, check out his other essays, "How to Get Great Recommendations" and "How to Write a Great Statement of Purpose".

Edited by herki

• 3 weeks later...

I just was wondering about if there was already a waitlist thread! I'm waitlisted at my #1 choice, just ... sitting in limbo. It's been rough, I just wanna know yes or no so I can either go find a place in the college's town or am I still working at my current job now where I live. I want to plan any vacation time accordingly one way or the other. 

I just was wondering about if there was already a waitlist thread! I'm waitlisted at my #1 choice, just ... sitting in limbo. It's been rough, I just wanna know yes or no so I can either go find a place in the college's town or am I still working at my current job now where I live. I want to plan any vacation time accordingly one way or the other. 

Do you know where you are on the waiting list?  That might help to know if you have a good chance to get into the program.  If you haven't read it yet, you should check out the link Herki posted: "The Grad School Letter Arrives... Now What?" .  A useful application 'etiquette'. 

Do you know where you are on the waiting list?  That might help to know if you have a good chance to get into the program.  If you haven't read it yet, you should check out the link Herki posted: "The Grad School Letter Arrives... Now What?" .  A useful application 'etiquette'. 

Yes! I read this repeatedly when I got the soulcrushing news of waitlistness. I don't know how many others were given on the list, I do know 15 were accepted for all of the department. Hopefully someone gets better luck elsewhere and lets me go to my dream school  :wub:

Was everyone who is on a waiting list notified? Or did you contact the department and then they told you? 

The school sent me a letter telling me that I was on the waiting list and my order on the list. 

Was everyone who is on a waiting list notified? Or did you contact the department and then they told you? 

I got notified via phone. But from what I've heard, email, phone, mail are also possible.

When and if they put you on a waiting list, they will let you know.

What are you supposed to do to "officially" accept an offer?  How do you respond to a school that accepts you?  

Hi hwrios,

I see you applied to Carnegie Mellon painting and have gotten word from them.  I've applied as well but havent heard anything back.  Could you tell me when and how they got in touch with you?  Thanks so much.

What are you supposed to do to "officially" accept an offer?  How do you respond to a school that accepts you?  

To the first part - usually in the official acceptance letter there are instructions on what each school wants you to do. Some ask for a letter of intent, some just want a deposit, etc.

To the second part -I sent a thank you note to the professor who interviewed me and told them I was honored. Quick and 2 lines but didn't commit to anything within it. 

Waitlists, and the Hell of Admissions Limbo  another good read for those of us still waiting

Does anyone can tell me what do they mean when you're told you were shortlisted?  Is that the pre-waitlisted status (before they decided which applicants they accept, and put the rest on the wait list?)

I was wait listed for MICA today and like others, I have an unusual mix of feelings. I'm pretty tough when it comes to rejection and I obviously hope for acceptance, but the in-between state feels strange. It's almost like I'm the second-choice date for the prom. :-)

My supporting professors have advised me in the past that if you're wait listed, you should never feel like you're second best. My chief mentor intimated that she herself has never wait listed anyone that did not belong in the program 100%, so it's not a case of someone being less qualified (or more qualified), but usually a question of the best fit for the other students in the pool. All of the students selected are a good fit and some may be slightly better than others at fitting with each other, though all would be fine. She says schools are also aware that some (sometimes all) of the accepted students may choose to go elsewhere, so wait listers are highly likely to move into the real spots.

And yet--I still feel odd about it. Like I want to cheer and cry at the same time. Pretty mature, right? I felt my interview with MICA went very well and enjoyed talking to the professor I'd likely be working with, which might be adding to the confusion of emotion.

I received a snail mail letter, which basically told me they'd be in contact with me. It also indicates that wait listed candidates will be re-reviewed if space becomes available. Not sure what that means. They said I was in the top 10% of applicants and that they would provide me with updates beginning in late April. They also say that the process of replacing spots with alternates can extend into early summer!!

This makes things quite rough for all of the associated, massive life changes that come along with attending. Reading here, I know others are dealing with that frozen-in-space-and-time sensation of not being able to make firm decisions about relocation, work, funding and the rest of the package. MICA is one of my top two choices, so I am not immediately ready to cast it off as unlikely, yet I can't imagine I'll be able to wait until early summer, with other schools in the mix.

Forgot to add that I don't know what position I am in the wait list, and I'm not sure how to find out?

When I got the phone call, I just asked right away. 

Maybe you already know this: some schools have ranked their applicants, so they have #1 on the wailing list, #2... if one accepted student turns down the offer, they accept #1 on the waiting list..

and some schools see waitlisted applicants as the same, depends on who accept/decline the offer, they would then choose the best fit from the wainting list people.

I think it wouldn't hurt to email/call to find out your position?

When I got the phone call, I just asked right away. 

Maybe you already know this: some schools have ranked their applicants, so they have #1 on the wailing list, #2... if one accepted student turns down the offer, they accept #1 on the waiting list..

and some schools see waitlisted applicants as the same, depends on who accept/decline the offer, they would then choose the best fit from the wainting list people.

I think it wouldn't hurt to email/call to find out your position?

That's a great idea. I think I'll email and ask. Based on the wording in their letter, I am inclined to think they see us as the same, since they said they will re-review all wait list applicants in mid-April, but it can't hurt to ask.

Edited by Ren Adams

That's a great idea. I think I'll email and ask. Based on the wording in their letter, I am inclined to think they see us as the same, since they said they will re-review all wait list applicants in mid-April, but it can't hurt to ask.

I was wait listed at MICA last year.  MICA doesn't have a numbered waitlist, when they get the answers from accepted students they go back in and see who fits best within that group.  I don't think this necessarily means everyone on the waitlist is evenly ranked, but I don't think they can give you a good answer about your chances of getting in right now/your placement on the list.  

Did you apply to Hoffberger or Mt. Royal?

My supporting professors have advised me in the past that if you're wait listed, you should never feel like you're second best. My chief mentor intimated that she herself has never wait listed anyone that did not belong in the program 100%, so it's not a case of someone being less qualified (or more qualified), but usually a question of the best fit for the other students in the pool. All of the students selected are a good fit and some may be slightly better than others at fitting with each other, though all would be fine. She says schools are also aware that some (sometimes all) of the accepted students may choose to go elsewhere, so wait listers are highly likely to move into the real spots.

And yet--I still feel odd about it. Like I want to cheer and cry at the same time. Pretty mature, right? I felt my interview with MICA went very well and enjoyed talking to the professor I'd likely be working with, which might be adding to the confusion of emotion.

I received a snail mail letter, which basically told me they'd be in contact with me. It also indicates that wait listed candidates will be re-reviewed if space becomes available. Not sure what that means. They said I was in the top 10% of applicants and that they would provide me with updates beginning in late April. They also say that the process of replacing spots with alternates can extend into early summer!!

That's a nice view of the process that your professor shared with you.  I wish I could feel like that, but I tend to understand the cheer/cry feelings better. :)

As Jwu said, it does sound like they don't have a waiting list order in that school.  But even having a waitlisting order doesn't mean the process is straitfoward.  I was told by the University I'm applying to that, yes I was waitlisted and 2nd on the list, but once they have the answers of the first round the professors will meet again and decide how many to take from the waiting list (not necessarily matching the number of 1st turn applicants that turned the offer down).  And even if the deadline is approximatly around April 15, the decision might come in May or June because they have to wait for that meeting and their decision!   June!  I'll go crazy!

I was wait listed at MICA last year.  MICA doesn't have a numbered waitlist, when they get the answers from accepted students they go back in and see who fits best within that group.  I don't think this necessarily means everyone on the waitlist is evenly ranked, but I don't think they can give you a good answer about your chances of getting in right now/your placement on the list.  

Did you apply to Hoffberger or Mt. Royal?

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. I will touch base with them next month, which seems safe (and hopefully I will hear from them before then).

I applied to the interdisciplinary summer low residency program.

Edited by Ren Adams

That's a nice view of the process that your professor shared with you.  I wish I could feel like that, but I tend to understand the cheer/cry feelings better. :)

As Jwu said, it does sound like they don't have a waiting list order in that school.  But even having a waitlisting order doesn't mean the process is straitfoward.  I was told by the University I'm applying to that, yes I was waitlisted and 2nd on the list, but once they have the answers of the first round the professors will meet again and decide how many to take from the waiting list (not necessarily matching the number of 1st turn applicants that turned the offer down).  And even if the deadline is approximatly around April 15, the decision might come in May or June because they have to wait for that meeting and their decision!   June!  I'll go crazy!

:-)  I'm trying to hang in there.

I think I will put MICA on the back burner for now and let it develop whatever direction it's going to go. I can't agonize over it by the day, since the waiting list process seems so uncertain and lengthy. I'm not giving up on it, just not going to keep it in the forefront.

Hello all! I was waitlisted at SAIC, and I share your ambivalence; really feel the program is perfect for me.

One of the linked articles here suggests writing a letter to the Director of Admissions (or whoever signed your letter) indicating continued interest; sounds like it couldn't hurt.

Congratulation on being wait listed at SAIC Querida! I'm sure a quick letter or phone call can never hurt. It just shows that you really are interested. Did they give you any idea on time frame?