MFA 2013 Waitinglist Support Group

jwu

what are your tactics for navigating this thing called "wait list"?  I have to notify yale if I would like to be placed on their "short" wait list.  Now in this email what sort of rhetoric should I use?  Should I act that I believe in my deep down in my soul that Yale is the only place for me and the thought of somewhere else is...Or should I use my offer from cranbrook to possibly speed up my process for the better?

I could see how Yale would return the last situation with a, "that great to hear, we wish you the best of luck, Thank You", but it may be wise.  Im completely oblivious to this and was frankly blindsided by their decision to wait list me.  I truly do believe that Yale is for me down to my core, but I dont want to blow my chance this time around.  Im making a deposit to cranbrook(1200) but I am prepared to lose that for yale, but im lost and filled with mixed emotions...

I am planning to write to SVA, but the admission director didn't leave any contact information on the letter or on school website. Does it mean "Please don't write to me"? Or I just ask the admission office for his email address? :unsure:

Anyone heard from MICA Mt.Royal. I'm on the wait-list and have another school throwing money at me. I'm hoping they inform me by next week- when the other school wants a response.

Funny the other school offer me more stipend money when I mentioned being on MICA's wait-list...

Anyone heard from MICA Mt.Royal. I'm on the wait-list and have another school throwing money at me. I'm hoping they inform me by next week- when the other school wants a response.

Funny the other school offer me more stipend money when I mentioned being on MICA's wait-list...

which major?

what are your tactics for navigating this thing called "wait list"?  I have to notify yale if I would like to be placed on their "short" wait list.  Now in this email what sort of rhetoric should I use?  Should I act that I believe in my deep down in my soul that Yale is the only place for me and the thought of somewhere else is...Or should I use my offer from cranbrook to possibly speed up my process for the better?

I could see how Yale would return the last situation with a, "that great to hear, we wish you the best of luck, Thank You", but it may be wise.  Im completely oblivious to this and was frankly blindsided by their decision to wait list me.  I truly do believe that Yale is for me down to my core, but I dont want to blow my chance this time around.  Im making a deposit to cranbrook(1200) but I am prepared to lose that for yale, but im lost and filled with mixed emotions...

I'm also waitlisted at Yale (painting) and I didn't really say anything in my email, except that I want to stay on the list. I also asked where I'm at on the list- not sure if they are allowed to tell me. I have the same questions as you so if you hear anything, let me know! I didn't get any other offers so I am wondering if I should tell them (because it would be clear that I would accept the offer) or keep it to myself (in case it makes me appear less desirable as a candidate)?

Good luck to you!

In the email I sent Yale I just reinforced the fact that in my eyes yale is and will be the only place for me to develop as both artist and designer, so on, and so on.  I have an offer from Cranbrook, but didnt mention it at all.  In my eyes at this point in the game you want to convince the committee that you are fully committed to the idea of Yale being the only one.  Its like dating i guess.  If you tell them you have another date to the dance then, "well see ya later I didnt really want to go with you anyway.  Have fun with "so and so"".  If that makes any since.  I would just brown nose the hell out of them, but in a classy intelligent way.  Hope this helped and if you need more info let me know.

good luck to you as well!

d

In the email I sent Yale I just reinforced the fact that in my eyes yale is and will be the only place for me to develop as both artist and designer, so on, and so on.  I have an offer from Cranbrook, but didnt mention it at all.  In my eyes at this point in the game you want to convince the committee that you are fully committed to the idea of Yale being the only one.  Its like dating i guess.  If you tell them you have another date to the dance then, "well see ya later I didnt really want to go with you anyway.  Have fun with "so and so"".  If that makes any since.  I would just brown nose the hell out of them, but in a classy intelligent way.  Hope this helped and if you need more info let me know.

good luck to you as well!

d

Thanks!

I am planning to write to SVA, but the admission director didn't leave any contact information on the letter or on school website. Does it mean "Please don't write to me"? Or I just ask the admission office for his email address? :unsure:

You can send it to the Admissions office, to the attention of the Director of Admissions (it's on the wait list letter, if you received a paper letter?)  be sure to include your applicant #.

Adam Rogers, Director of Admissions

Office of Graduate Admissions

209 E 23rd St 

New York, NY 10010.

I sent one, Not sure if it helped- the only result so far was that they sent me an email that got my heart pumping, because it had the subject line "urgent message from the Office of Graduate Admissions", but turned out to be a word-for-word copy of my wait list letter.  (Received on April 1st, so though I am intellectually sure it was a coincidence, a little part of me felt pranked.)

I've decided the best I can do is sit tight.  

On 4/8/2013 at 3:58 PM, jwu said:

hanging there, i've heard nothing as well... you are not alone!

I just declined my offer from WashU. I don't know how their waitlist works but maybe you will hear soon!

You can send it to the Admissions office, to the attention of the Director of Admissions (it's on the wait list letter, if you received a paper letter?)  be sure to include your applicant #.

Adam Rogers, Director of Admissions

Office of Graduate Admissions

209 E 23rd St 

New York, NY 10010.

I sent one, Not sure if it helped- the only result so far was that they sent me an email that got my heart pumping, because it had the subject line "urgent message from the Office of Graduate Admissions", but turned out to be a word-for-word copy of my wait list letter.  (Received on April 1st, so though I am intellectually sure it was a coincidence, a little part of me felt pranked.)

I've decided the best I can do is sit tight.  

So I just use Mr. Rogers as the salutation, and the coordinators in admissions office would help to forward the email, right?

I got a copy of wait list letter too, on April 1st. So it's clear they did that to every alternate.

But I feel letting them know your interest would never be a bad thing.

By the way, which program are you waiting for?

On 4/12/2013 at 3:50 AM, Rainbows&Cupcakes said:

JWU and Emoree - What MFA depts. at IUB did you apply for? I am waiting too. I applied for ceramics and was told last Friday I am an "Alternate." I am visiting tomorrow.

Also I declined my Washington University offer 2 weeks ago.

i'm waiting for printmaking.  i found out yesterday i won't hear anything until after the 15th.

On 4/12/2013 at 3:50 AM, Rainbows&Cupcakes said:

JWU and Emoree - What MFA depts. at IUB did you apply for? I am waiting too. I applied for ceramics and was told last Friday I am an "Alternate." I am visiting tomorrow.

Also I declined my WashU offer 2 weeks ago.

I am only waiting for WashU/WUSTL, painting 

So I just use Mr. Rogers as the salutation, and the coordinators in admissions office would help to forward the email, right?

I got a copy of wait list letter too, on April 1st. So it's clear they did that to every alternate.

But I feel letting them know your interest would never be a bad thing.

By the way, which program are you waiting for?

Illustration as Visual Essay.  

As we get close to the 15th, I find myself once again approaching my mailbox every day with baited breath.  The suspense is killing me!

And yes, if it's addressed to him, they will direct it properly (or they should).  

Edited by Caerulius