Anyone else already planning ahead their future after imminent rejections?

WishfulThinker

I only have one application with a pending decision after being rejected from all the other schools. I'm trying to be optimistic but realistically I think the rejection is imminent, so I'm already thinking what to do next in my life.

I'm thinking on applying for jobs soon, making my resume stronger. Maybe retaking the GRE, and finally apply for the next season to more schools where I actually may have a chance, instead of applying to really competitive places. After being terribly disappointed and sad, I think I'm ready to move on.

Anyone else on a similar situation? 

I'm hoping to reach your stage in a while.

I have heard back and interviewed with two schools, and one of them has made it clear that since I am international it will be difficult to

admit me bacause of funding problems. The other is waiting to know how many students they'll be able to take this year.

I realize that I might end up being rejected from both (VERY LIKELY from the first school, at least) and I should just accept that this application season was a HUGE FAILURE, but I just can't let it go until I have a definite answer - even though it might be a rejection. 

I kind of think that it's the schools' fault, 'cause they keep telling me that my application is still in their active stack, even though it's obvious that I will not be their first choice. Aaaargh!!

I really hope I'll manage to become resigned soon and start making alternative plans.

I'm in the same position. all I've heard are rejections thus far, still waiting for two more, but not getting my hopes up. I currently work a good job that looks fantastic on the resume, and I've gotten a great recommendation out of it, but it's not what I want to do for my career - and I'm not sure I want to be doing it for a third year.

I'm thinking about applying for a different job, applying for masters programs (despite already having an MS...), or maybe taking a gap year and doing some traveling. I really am not sure what the next step is for me, but I know that I need to take some time and seriously consider this decision and my options.

we'll see what happens. I'm trying to keep an open mind and just see where life takes me. tough to do, for sure.

good luck and I hope it all works out!

I'm waiting on 2/5. Rejected from first 3, all of which were in the top 20. Even if I get accepted to UC-Davis, there are only two professors that I'm interested in working with, maybe three. Plus, it's not a highly ranked program (30ish). If I apply again next year, I will have 7 months of co-op experience, as well as two published papers. It sucks because I had put in the work for those two papers, but they're still unsubmitted, due to pending patents. And these papers are suppose to be in a high impact journal.

I've been rejected from most of my schools so I'm starting to plan my next steps.  I want to apply again next year so I'm thinking contractual/temporary employment.  Maybe Americorps or a fellowship if I can find one?  I've started looking at research fellowships but a lot of the deadlines have passed.  

I'm waiting on 2/5. Rejected from first 3, all of which were in the top 20. Even if I get accepted to UC-Davis, there are only two professors that I'm interested in working with, maybe three. Plus, it's not a highly ranked program (30ish). If I apply again next year, I will have 7 months of co-op experience, as well as two published papers. It sucks because I had put in the work for those two papers, but they're still unsubmitted, due to pending patents. And these papers are suppose to be in a high impact journal.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I applied to 9 schools and I've only been rejected from 2, but this late in the season I'm not holding my breath. I interviewed with one school and heard really positive things from the students and admissions committee, but its been 2.5 weeks and they have apparently scheduled another interview weekend. So I'm not holding my breath. 

I also have 2 pending publications and one of them was just submitted this February... 

The thing that sucks is as soon as my applications where due I got an internship with Dow Chemical and couldn't update my applications everywhere (the 2 rejections would not allow me to). If I don't get in this season I guess I'll see if Dow is willing to keep me for another year, but its not exactly doing work I want to do. 

same boat as well. rejected from 3 (1 after an interview - even worse!) out of 4 schools... waiting to hear back from the last one (already interviewed). I just don't understand these processes and apparently my intuition is completely screwed up because I actually thought my interviews went really well. I applied to top tiered schools only and probably shouldn't have been so confident. Now I'm kicking myself for it and trying to figure out what to do. Doesn't help that I'm older than most of the candidates out there either =\ (I'm 30). I'd hate to wait another year... 

best of luck to all of you in the same boat. Let's cross our fingers for the last few schools...

I started looking for jobs before I was even done with my applications, but that might be the definition of pessimism.  

I heard someone on another thread (who was in their second application cycle) say they made a list of all the things they could look forward to if they were not in school next year (if they stuck out again) - not a bad idea, though that person already has a job, so the list was stuff like "move into a bigger apartment because i wouldn't be able to afford that as a grad student."

Though I haven't yet recieved any news I think my chances are pretty slim and it's time to start planning new application cycle. So, now I'm looking for more promising programs. I doubt it will be good idea to re-apply to the same universities... on one hand, it's depressing because i've wasted a lot of time but there's still hope that next year i will have better chances and better luck...

I'm kind of in the same boat. I applied to 9 schools and I've only been rejected from 2, but this late in the season I'm not holding my breath. I interviewed with one school and heard really positive things from the students and admissions committee, but its been 2.5 weeks and they have apparently scheduled another interview weekend. So I'm not holding my breath. 

I also have 2 pending publications and one of them was just submitted this February... 

The thing that sucks is as soon as my applications where due I got an internship with Dow Chemical and couldn't update my applications everywhere (the 2 rejections would not allow me to). If I don't get in this season I guess I'll see if Dow is willing to keep me for another year, but its not exactly doing work I want to do. 

congrats on the internship. I'm currently doing a co-op with a koch subsidiary. Although it appears they want to keep me around, I still want to do research. It's much more interesting to deal with polymers, than cooling water and high pressure steam. Interest aside, I heard a woman from a nearby rubber chemical plant just got a new job with exxon. Her previous salary was something like 180k. Her new job gave her a 85% increase in pay. That is over $330k a year.  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  Granted, she's probably tier two or beyond in her placement in the company. But that's over 10x more money than the wimpy little stipend that phd students get.

congrats on the internship. I'm currently doing a co-op with a koch subsidiary. Although it appears they want to keep me around, I still want to do research. It's much more interesting to deal with polymers, than cooling water and high pressure steam. Interest aside, I heard a woman from a nearby rubber chemical plant just got a new job with exxon. Her previous salary was something like 180k. Her new job gave her a 85% increase in pay. That is over $330k a year.  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  Granted, she's probably tier two or beyond in her placement in the company. But that's over 10x more money than the wimpy little stipend that phd students get.

Its true that I can make a lot of money here, but starting out a lot of companies want to see the PhD to get a whole lot of places. But its still true, I would take a pay cut if I got into graduate school (of about 15-20k a year).

The thing that really drives me crazy about my current job, is getting up in the morning is a real chore. And I'm always late. I really want a job that excites me, instead of bores me to tears...

And gives me lots of time to check for updated applications statuses....

I've only applied to two schools and I'm pretty positive I won't get into either. At least one of the schools has way more applications this year than previous years making my chances even slimmer than usual. So I've been trying to tell family, friends and myself that I won't be getting in anywhere and that I will start looking for jobs. The frustrating part is having everyone tell me that I will get in and not to worry about - they don't even know! 

The other situation is that I already have a great job for the summer that I love so will be looking for positions that start in September, but obviously not too many people are posting those jobs right now. Which makes me feel so unorganized with not knowing what my potential future holds...AHH! 

Its true that I can make a lot of money here, but starting out a lot of companies want to see the PhD to get a whole lot of places. But its still true, I would take a pay cut if I got into graduate school (of about 15-20k a year).

The thing that really drives me crazy about my current job, is getting up in the morning is a real chore. And I'm always late. I really want a job that excites me, instead of bores me to tears...

And gives me lots of time to check for updated applications statuses....

I totally feel you. Although being a regular engineer working in the private sector is pretty lucrative, I must admit. I wouldn't mind making some extra money before falling below the poverty line again, lol. But I've gotten used to the early morning routine. I used to avoid my 9 AM classes like the plague. I'm supposed to be here between 7 and 8, but once I got here at 10 (damned alarm screwed me over). It was no big deal. But I'm used to it now. Get here at 7 everyday, get out early, you know what I mean?

btw, you're in TX. Would you happen to be near the Houston area?

I totally feel you. Although being a regular engineer working in the private sector is pretty lucrative, I must admit. I wouldn't mind making some extra money before falling below the poverty line again, lol. But I've gotten used to the early morning routine. I used to avoid my 9 AM classes like the plague. I'm supposed to be here between 7 and 8, but once I got here at 10 (damned alarm screwed me over). It was no big deal. But I'm used to it now. Get here at 7 everyday, get out early, you know what I mean?

btw, you're in TX. Would you happen to be near the Houston area?

Yes actually, I am in the Houston area. 

And I understand the getting used to the early morning routine. Wake up at 530 every day, go to sleep around 10. works pretty well actually. 

I'm trying to save up some money before I go as well, if I don't get admitted this year, I guess it gives me more time to do so. (doesn't change the fact that I really want to go this year..)

that's cool. I'm near the Beaumont area, working on site. as far as I know, the offices in houston are mainly administrative buildings that branch out into the plant areas. Are you working IN Houston, or are you located in a plant?

btw. you going to the rodeo? I'm thinking about going this week because I get my Friday off, and there's nothing to do where I live.

that's cool. I'm near the Beaumont area, working on site. as far as I know, the offices in houston are mainly administrative buildings that branch out into the plant areas. Are you working IN Houston, or are you located in a plant?

btw. you going to the rodeo? I'm thinking about going this week because I get my Friday off, and there's nothing to do where I live.

I live in Pearland, I work in freeport on site with a plant. 

I don't know if I'm going to the rodeo or not, i've never really been. 

And I think I just got another rejection notice.... 4 down five to go...

I do want to reapply next year, though I worry that I'm losing status in the eyes of my recommenders.  I just wonder if they are going to keep supporting me on this.  After a while I feel like they're going to say: "This crazy girl is still trying?  Give it up already!"  I'm also worried about age.  If I reapply next year and get into schools, I'll be entering at 25.  Someone needs to virtually slap me for implying that 25 is somehow old or non-traditional for graduate study (I'm kind of beating myself up about the past on that one).

I hear ya... I did my first masters in 2006-2007, and worked six years... Now going back to school to change careers and I am turning 29 in April. Another two year masters program, and that's if I even get in anywhere. Another year to reapply puts me finishing this next degree at 32... Forget that I also want to pursue a PhD. I can keep working in my current job, but its a far cry from what my new career dream is.

I've only heard from 1/4 of my schools, and won't know anything about financial aid until mid-March. As for the other three, I'm trying not to let myself get pessimistic.

My best friend and I have agreed that if it doesn't work out this year, we're job hunting and moving in together. It's been really helpful to look at job/apartment listings in the event that things don't work out. :)

Guest HEPhD13

I applied to 7 schools and received 4 rejections (1 off waitlist), 1 waitlisting, and 2 that I haven't heard from yet! I am just waiting to see what happens but I am not feeling well about it.  The programs I applied to were all really competitive and took 2-7 students so I knew all odds were against me but I thought I was at least a bit competitive. 

I've already started applying to jobs but find myself with little motivation to do so--have to push through it and get it done though!!

Good luck to everyone!

I keep telling myself it only takes 1 ... but I'm waiting to hear from 5 more universities and 6 actual applications... I am thinking about plans to continue at my job for a while.  Definitely not burning bridges.  I am also planning to keep taking classes that I can eventually get some recommendations from the profs... at least that is my hope!!!  I'm going to hate having to re-apply next year and the length of time between now and then... but what must be done, will be done! 

I was in this boat the first time I applied 2 years ago.  I applied for Social Psych PhD programs which take 1-2 students per professor (sometimes not even that many) so it's very competitive.  I applied to 12 schools the first time I applied and spent a lot of time researching and choosing what I thought would be a good cross-section of schools.  I got 2 phone interviews and 1 in person interview and ended up with 12 rejections. 

So facing the disappointment I felt since I thought I would get in (everyone always thinks you won't have a problem getting in...don't listen to everyone.  They know nothing.), I realized I had no plan B.  Luckily, I got 2 degrees in college, one in a different area, so I decided to split my job search between both fields.  In psych, I joined all of the listservs and applied to lab manager positions.  I also applied to retail or fashion jobs.  I ended up getting 2 job offers on the same day about 2 months after graduation, one as a lab manager at MIT and one as a retail manager at a department store.  Obviously, I took the job at MIT and ended up being way happier than I would have if I had convinced myself to go to the only school that interviewed me (they didn't accept me so it was a nonissue, but it wasn't a good fit for me at all anyway).  I applied again this year, to 13 schools, and was much more successful.  I got 4 phone interviews, 3 in person interviews and 2 offers with great funding at good Top-40 programs where I have a good fit.  Now my problem is trying to decide where to go.

Here is my advice if you are in the "didn't get in anywhere" boat:

1) You are not alone!  I had great experience coming out of undergrad.  Honestly, I couldn't have gotten any more than I did at my undergrad institution.  All of my letter-writers were confident, my essay was good, my grades were good, my scores were good, etc.  The fact is, there are so few spots and so many applicants that not everyone who is qualified gets in.  You are probably all qualified.  It may be the case that some of you put in more effort with your applications than others but, at the end of the day, if you didn't get in it really doesn't mean that much about you.  All it means is that some kid with a masters degree applied with your exact same credentials.  So, seriously, stop taking these rejections personally.  Obviously that's more easily said than done but you are still the smart, capable individual you were when you applied.  It's not you, it's them.  (Also, in terms of age, a lot of programs don't like to accept right out of undergrad so 25 is definitey NOT old to start a program, but it can depend on your field.  It would be rare to get an advanced business degree with no work experience, for instance.  So if you just graduated or are still in school, it is especially common to get rejected at that point.)

2) Write your rejectors back, especially if you had an interview.  Find out why you were rejected (or other people were chosen), specifically.  POIs are usually happy to tell you (spoiler alert: either you don't have enough experience or other students were a better match) how you could have improved your application.  Take it seriously if you want to get in next cycle and improve that application.  Also, be nice and respond with a thank you for the consideration either way.  You don't want to burn any bridges.  You may decide to apply again, or you may decide to apply for a job there someday.  Assume nothing about your future relationship with these people other than the fact that your end should always represent you as a capable professional. 

3) Don't stop learning about the application process since you've done it before.  A lot of people assume that they didn't get in because someone else had better grades or scores, but it can also be because you made one of a host of fatal errors that applicants in your field make.  For instance, in psych programs, and in many mentorship model programs, you are going to want to write specific professors to see if they are taking students this year AT ALL.  If you skip this step, you may have applied to 13 schools, 7 of which you never had a chance of getting into because the person that you applied to wasn't taking students.  If you are applying for these kinds of programs, so many people do this that if you don't your application will get less consideration.  Professors seek out these specific applications when people get in touch, you bring your name to their attention.  Also, people often make a lot of mistakes in their statements.  One of these mistakes can be talking to much about your experience and not focusing enough on your fit with the program/school.  Make sure to keep getting the advice from people you trust so you can avoid these mistakes next time.

4) Build your resume in the meantime.  When I got rejected the first round, I was told I had 2 choices to add to my experience: apply to MA programs with late deadlines or get a lab manager or research assistant job in my field.  I chose the second route and ended up with a great job that elevated my CV a ton and provided me with a ton of wonderful experience that I used to my advantage in this cycle.  A lot of people work in unrelated fields between application seasons but if your application wasn't strong enough the first time, that isn't going to change if your job has nothing to do with your subject.  Also, a lot of places want a LOR from your boss if you have a job after school so keep in mind that you will need time to cultivate a relationship with your boss for a good rec.  I waited 2 years between applications because I wanted a whole year at my job for my writer to comment on.  Keep this is mind when you are planning for the future.

Overall, I really don't think I would have been happy at the last place I was waiting to hear from for Fall 2011.  The mentor would have been a bad choice, both in personality and research fit.  The program is not well respected and I would have taken it just because it was the only school that hadn't rejected me (at that point, I stress again that I was rejected from this school as well).  Instead of putting a sub-par institution on my CV, I got to add a job at MIT and will soon add a great PhD program.  (This is a good part to point out that when it comes to grad school, there are no safety schools.  You could blow every applicant out of the water in terms of education, grades and scores but if other people have a better fit, that other stuff means a lot less.)  Being rejected from all of the schools I applied to actually worked out better for me.  I did reapply to some of the same schools and my 2 acceptances are both from programs I had applied to and been rejected from previously.  I had a phone interview with one and was never taken off the waitlist and, at the other, I literally never heard anything.  So keep in mind that this next year can turn the whole thing around for you.  Schools that didn't look at your app this year may be calling you as soon as apps are in a couple years from now.  The second time around worked for me.  In the time between, I got great work experience at an impressive institution with an incredible scholar I am lucky to call my boss. 

Remember, you are not alone!  Rejections happen more than acceptances.  Take the next year or two to work on that CV and you will be successful. 

Edited by JungWild&Free

Thanks to kald and Jung for mentioning the age aspect of reapplying.  I feel more confident in my academic abilities as time goes by, and I hope that some sort of wisdom (and more job experience) shows in my applications next year. I know that for this coming round I will need to apply to more places and consult with more professors.  And I need to start early, like September, even though the wait will be horrible come the Spring :P.