Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

I just got the same email.  To clarify- some people did receive acceptance emails from UT today? Has anyone received waitlist emails from UT?

My feeling was that if I was going to get an acceptance, it would be by email, so the fact that they are mailing me something means a rejection- what do you guys think?

Congrats to all those accepted to UT and UWO!!! :)

Any word on UofA? 

I think U of T sent out acceptances via email through the night/this morning through an automated system. Looking at the responses from previous years, it appears that people received rejection and wait list responses via snail mail.

I think U of T sent out acceptances via email through the night/this morning through an automated system. Looking at the responses from previous years, it appears that people received rejection and wait list responses via snail mail.

Thanks speechapp! I haven't received an acceptance email so I can expect a rejection or waitlist then I'm guessing.

Accepted to McGill! As an American, I am slightly terrified but insanely excited at the prospect of moving out of the country for school.

Good job everyone.

Yayy congrats!!!! Where in the US are you from?

Also did you just hear from McGill today or already with the wave 2 weeks ago?

Thanks! I'm from Pittsburgh. Still waiting to hear back on a final decision from Gallaudet, which tied with McGill for my dream-school, but I'm 99% sure I'm headed to Montreal.

I heard back a couple weeks ago, but just got "confirmed" last week because I had to sign up for an additional stats class. Still have the "Recommended by Department" status, but hopefully I'll have an official letter soon.

Thanks! I'm from Pittsburgh. Still waiting to hear back on a final decision from Gallaudet, which tied with McGill for my dream-school, but I'm 99% sure I'm headed to Montreal.

I heard back a couple weeks ago, but just got "confirmed" last week because I had to sign up for an additional stats class. Still have the "Recommended by Department" status, but hopefully I'll have an official letter soon.

Oops I had been checking GradCafe on my phone and now I see (from my browser) that your location is listed on the side. Sorry about that!

Sounds like a plan! I'm pretty much in the same position with McGill - had to prove I'm taking one more class over the summer, then I got the confirmation from the chair of admissions, but the "recommended by department" status is still up.  So glad someone else is in the same position - sounds like you're not worried at all about being admitted at this point? I just want that email to confirm that it's a sure thing, but I just can't imagine we could get this far and have them take it back. (I'm notoriously a nervous wreck about stuff like this though, so maybe it's just me.)

Either way, sounds like we'll be (almost certainly) be in the same cohort! So exciting!!!! (And I'll be coming from NC so I'm glad there will be another American perspective hahah)

Hi all,

So exciting to find this thread and see many other people going through the same process as myself. As of now I have been accepted to McGill and U of T, waitlisted for Dal and UWO. U of T was my top choice but I never thought I had a shot at McGill. Now I'm having the hardest time deciding which school to attend. Any suggestions about how the programs differ, what each has to offer? 

Thanks!!

Oops I had been checking GradCafe on my phone and now I see (from my browser) that your location is listed on the side. Sorry about that!

Sounds like a plan! I'm pretty much in the same position with McGill - had to prove I'm taking one more class over the summer, then I got the confirmation from the chair of admissions, but the "recommended by department" status is still up.  So glad someone else is in the same position - sounds like you're not worried at all about being admitted at this point? I just want that email to confirm that it's a sure thing, but I just can't imagine we could get this far and have them take it back. (I'm notoriously a nervous wreck about stuff like this though, so maybe it's just me.)

Either way, sounds like we'll be (almost certainly) be in the same cohort! So exciting!!!! (And I'll be coming from NC so I'm glad there will be another American perspective hahah)

I think it would be a little cruel for them to retract the offer now, unless you end up not fulfilling your summer course. The email from the admissions committee said "We are very pleased to extend you an offer of admission to our clinical Master of Science degree program," and that sounds pretty final to me! I'd say you're definitely in :) I'm just curious now about potential funding...

And yeah, judging from how tiny the program is, I'm pretty sure we'll be meeting in a few months! We'll have to start a Facebook group.

Welcome em.ber! There's an audiology thread here:  And so far it's only Canadians. 

I never thought about what an impossible choice I would have on my hands! U of T versus UBC. I thought I would get waitlisted at U of T at the most, so I didn't think I'd have to make this decision! 

Welcome em.ber! There's an audiology thread here:  And so far it's only Canadians. 

I never thought about what an impossible choice I would have on my hands! U of T versus UBC. I thought I would get waitlisted at U of T at the most, so I didn't think I'd have to make this decision! 

Thanks Inny! I didn't see this thread!

Hi all!

I contacted U of A today regarding their admission decisions, this is the response I received from the Office Assistant: "The Admissions Committee is still reviewing applications - my understanding is that they hope to contact successful applicants by next week."

Hope that helps everyone! We should know fairly soon :)

I've been waitlisted at Western and I was told their wait list is 70 people long, so I'm really hoping some good news comes from Alberta :)

Have a good day!

I've been waitlisted at Western and I was told their wait list is 70 people long, so I'm really hoping some good news comes from Alberta :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am just wondering how many people from the wait list could be accepted, if the list is that big.

Does anybody know any statistics from previous years?

I've heard the same thing today: 70 people... for around 36 spots? That seems silly. On a brighter note, I found out today that I was wait listed and not rejected at U of T as well! :). Hopefully the wait list is shorter at U of T.

I've heard the same thing today: 70 people... for around 36 spots? That seems silly. On a brighter note, I found out today that I was wait listed and not rejected at U of T as well! :). Hopefully the wait list is shorter at U of T.

Congrats on being waitlisted at UT :)! Did you find out via postal or did they email you?

Congrats on being waitlisted at UT :)! Did you find out via postal or did they email you?

I made an email inquiry to make sure that a previous email was received before the deadline... it was and when I was emailed back, I was told I was wait listed. The wait list responses are in the mail apparently!

UWO let me know that I am in the bottom third of the wait list... so it seems that chances are pretty slim there.

Edited by speechapp

Hi all!

I contacted U of A today regarding their admission decisions, this is the response I received from the Office Assistant: "The Admissions Committee is still reviewing applications - my understanding is that they hope to contact successful applicants by next week."

Have a good day!

Thanks for sharing! This is now definitely cruel...

Any ideas why it's taking this long this year? I didn't get the impression that was the case previous years...

I made an email inquiry to make sure that a previous email was received before the deadline... it was and when I was emailed back, I was told I was wait listed. The wait list responses are in the mail apparently!

UWO let me know that I am in the bottom third of the wait list... so it seems that chances are pretty slim there.

I've been waitlisted at UWO as well! Did you call them and ask about your position on the waitlist, or email someone? I'd like to know where I stand. 

I've been waitlisted at UWO as well! Did you call them and ask about your position on the waitlist, or email someone? I'd like to know where I stand. 

I emailed the ORPAS Admissions coordinator in the wait list letter. They will advise where on the wait list you fall roughly -  I'm also in the bottom 3rd. I also asked about how long they will contact people off of the wait list, and she said they would keep it active until the end of the summer. I'm curious to see if they actually have gotten to the end of the wait list before.

I emailed the ORPAS Admissions coordinator in the wait list letter. They will advise where on the wait list you fall roughly -  I'm also in the bottom 3rd. I also asked about how long they will contact people off of the wait list, and she said they would keep it active until the end of the summer. I'm curious to see if they actually have gotten to the end of the wait list before.

Thanks so much, I'll shoot her off an email now!

Thanks speechapp! I will contact UT if I don't receive the letter soon.  Hopefully you hear some good news back from UT or UWO waitlist :)

Hi all!

Have a good day!

I've been obsessing - just a little - about this (cryptic?) reply - I didn't understand whether it was supposed to mean that some offers have been sent out already and now they're going through the wait list as people give up their places - or no offers have been sent out at all, which I think would be kind of strange. So I emailed asking specifically this. Will let you know when I get a reply.

Thanks speechapp! I will contact UT if I don't receive the letter soon.  Hopefully you hear some good news back from UT or UWO waitlist :)

Thanks! :) They put them in the mail on Monday, but there was no postal service Monday... so we should receive them soon!

Is anyone here forsure going to Western? I am obviously going to Western (it was my first choice and I still can't believe I got in!) and will be looking for housing, etc. I have found a few basement apartments that are very close to the campus, and was wondering if anyone would be looking to share and split the rent and stuff. I would prefer a female (just for personal reasons). If anyone is interested please let me know!! :)

Congratulations to all that got in. And the ones that are waitlisted, don't give up hope. A LOT of people got into multiple schools and they can only attend one :P . Specially for Western, I think a lot of spaces should be opening up since many people who got into Western also got into U of T and it looks like most are choosing U of T.

To future applicants, I will be happy to share my stats and help you out in anyway I can - now that I have some credibility lol - I know how tough this whole process is, I was dying for Western applicants to share their stats last year when I was thinking about applying just to see how good/bad of a chance I had, and barely anyone (actually no one lol) responded. But I would be happy to help! You can PM me.

Hi Everyone

I just found out today that I'm on the waiting list at U of T. I was wondering if anyone knows how long the list is? I've emailed them to find out my position, but I don't want to get my hopes up if the list is super long! 

Does anyone know roughly how many people are usually accepted from the waiting list/ what's been the norm in previous years?

Congratulations to all of you who have received acceptances!