Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

Thanks for sharing! This is now definitely cruel...

Any ideas why it's taking this long this year? I didn't get the impression that was the case previous years...

This sucks!  Hope you hear from them soon!

This sucks!  Hope you hear from them soon!

Thanks! Congratulations on making a choice and best of luck with your studies :)

UofA never got back to you? If they didn't - and your application was obviously super competitive - maybe there's still hope...

Here's an "update" on UofA - Noriko Major, bless her heart, who knows how many people have been emailing her - replied right away: The Admissions Committee is in the final stages of reviewing applications, and they will be contacting successful applicants within the next week.

Still not reasonably sure whether they've made any offers or not.

Last throes I guess...

Hi Everyone

I just found out today that I'm on the waiting list at U of T. I was wondering if anyone knows how long the list is? I've emailed them to find out my position, but I don't want to get my hopes up if the list is super long! 

Does anyone know roughly how many people are usually accepted from the waiting list/ what's been the norm in previous years?

Congratulations to all of you who have received acceptances!

Congrats Morgan3! Did you already receive the letter or did you email to find out as well?

Congrats Morgan3! Did you already receive the letter or did you email to find out as well?

Thanks! I received the letter this morning, and I've sent them an email because they asked that everyone confirm that you either accept or reject a position on the waitlist. I asked them if they could possibly tell me how long the list is is and what my approximate position is, but I haven't heard anything yet. 

Has anyone that is on the waitlist at U of T been able to find out this information?

I really hope they can let me know, it will be hard to make some plans for next year if I don't have a better idea of where I stand!

I already wrote a post but didn't get any replies:(
Still trying to decide between McGill and U of T... Can't decide, ANY suggestions... 

Still trying to decide between McGill and U of T... Can't decide, ANY suggestions... 

In all of my own excitement, I didn't see your post! 

Can you give us some more info about your interests? Have you lived in Toronto or Mtl. before? Where do you plan/hope to live after? 

Also: Can you come to the U of T open house on Monday? 

Do you speak French fluently? At McGill, you will likely be sent all over the place for placements, so keep that in mind. 

At McGill, there's a lot of interest in bilingualism and neurogenic disorders, according to the site. 

At U of T, there's a lot with swallowing disorders. 

While I admittedly have never been to the McGill school of comm. studies, it seems it's separate from the OT and PT schools. At U of T, SLP, OT, and PT are all in the same building in the Faculty of Rehabilitation Sciences, which is in the middle of "hospital row". 

McGill's program is just over half the size of U of T's. So if a small class is appealing to you, consider that. 

Hi Cgyslp! I just saw that you are deciding between U of T and McGill, and thought I would comment since I'm in the exact same boat as you! I also never thought I would end up getting into McGill, such a surprise. I actually went and spoke with one of my professors from my undergrad today (He is an SLP), to get some advice. He told me that McGill is like 'gold' in the SLP world for some reason. It seems to hold a lot of prestige. Obviously, I would not choose a school based on that, but it is interesting. 

He also made the point that I would be in much smaller classes at McGill, which would be nice. The size of U of T's program seems a bit intimidating to me. I also really like the research focuses at McGill, but that is obviously specific to my personal interests. 

I haven't made any final decisions yet, but at this point my gut feeling is McGill. Let me know when you decide where to go! 

Kath16, I agree with your whole post!

But I find this interesting: 

I actually went and spoke with one of my professors from my undergrad today (He is an SLP), to get some advice. He told me that McGill is like 'gold' in the SLP world for some reason. It seems to hold a lot of prestige. Obviously, I would not choose a school based on that, but it is interesting. 

Was he educated at McGill? :P Seriously. This is not something I've heard before. Also, I've never gotten the impression that SLP is about the school you go to, especially not in Canada. Sure, if you want to be a lawyer, which school you go to is important. But as an SLP... once you're an SLP, you're an SLP and it shouldn't matter? Especially if you went to school in Canada... All the schools that have SLP programs are great schools! 

Perhaps it's just McGill's overall prestige? As a whole, the university is really famous. 

Then again, U of T holds a lot of prestige too. U of T, McGill, and UBC are always the top three. 

Best of luck to both of you! 

ETA: One thing I forgot about: If memory serves, McGill students don't have classes or placements the first summer of their program. U of T students do. There's a placement in July/August. In can be in either July or August, or part time over the two months. If having a few months off in the middle of the program is appealing to you, consider that! 

Edited by Inny

Is anyone here forsure going to Western? I am obviously going to Western (it was my first choice and I still can't believe I got in!) and will be looking for housing, etc. I have found a few basement apartments that are very close to the campus, and was wondering if anyone would be looking to share and split the rent and stuff. I would prefer a female (just for personal reasons). If anyone is interested please let me know!! :)

Congratulations to all that got in. And the ones that are waitlisted, don't give up hope. A LOT of people got into multiple schools and they can only attend one :P . Specially for Western, I think a lot of spaces should be opening up since many people who got into Western also got into U of T and it looks like most are choosing U of T.

To future applicants, I will be happy to share my stats and help you out in anyway I can - now that I have some credibility lol - I know how tough this whole process is, I was dying for Western applicants to share their stats last year when I was thinking about applying just to see how good/bad of a chance I had, and barely anyone (actually no one lol) responded. But I would be happy to help! You can PM me.

Hi! I accepted my offer to Western already :) 

I will definitely be looking for housing as well, I will PM you!

Congrats to everyone! 

I just received an official admission package from UofT this afternoon.

It says that I have 4 weeks to respond to the offer.

So if you're waitlisted for UofT, you will find out before or on May 1st at the latest.

Congrats to all who have been accepted/waitlisted!

: )

Edited by SLP201315

Hi all :)

I've decided to join in on the discussion to let you know where all my applications are at. A little background: I did my BA at McGill in Ling & Psych, did the volunteering and all that.

I've only applied to Canadian schools and so far, this is where it all stands:

Rejected from McGill and U of T

Waitlisted at Ottawa and Western

Yet to hear from Alberta and Dal

I'm thinking nothing positive from Dal, but the wait for Alberta is brutal!

Good luck to all!!

As other people on here reiterated, McGill does have a certain reputation for quality that I've heard before- though again, it's not as though there's a bad school for SLP in Canada. Small class sizes may be very appealing, and the three months off after the first year is a factor as well- if you need to work in the summers to make money, you can in the McGill program, whereas at U of T you cannot. 

However, McGill has some difficulty in placing students in the Montreal area specifically, due to most of their students being out of province and not bilingual (p. 17 of this document if you're interested http://www.caslpa.ca/PDF/university_survey_%202010_speech.pdf).

In the end, you're choosing between two great programs, and you won't make a bad choice. Toronto and Montreal are both great cities! 

If I had gotten in to McGill, I will admit I probably would have chosen there- neuroscience is so interesting! And they offer the option to add on a thesis after the first year, if you decide once you're in the program you want to do research. 

Kath16, I agree with your whole post!

But I find this interesting: 

Was he educated at McGill? :P Seriously. This is not something I've heard before. Also, I've never gotten the impression that SLP is about the school you go to, especially not in Canada. Sure, if you want to be a lawyer, which school you go to is important. But as an SLP... once you're an SLP, you're an SLP and it shouldn't matter? Especially if you went to school in Canada... All the schools that have SLP programs are great schools! 

Perhaps it's just McGill's overall prestige? As a whole, the university is really famous. 

Then again, U of T holds a lot of prestige too. U of T, McGill, and UBC are always the top three. 

Best of luck to both of you! 

ETA: One thing I forgot about: If memory serves, McGill students don't have classes or placements the first summer of their program. U of T students do. There's a placement in July/August. In can be in either July or August, or part time over the two months. If having a few months off in the middle of the program is appealing to you, consider that! 

Hi Inny!

I think he went to school in the US, but I believe he taught at McGill for a few years, so that is most likely the source of his biased opinion haha! I agree that a degree in SLP is a degree in SLP, and it won't make any difference once we are out in the field! 

Thanks so much for the point about the courses/placements in the summer months, that is definitely something to consider! Glad I found this forum, reading all these posts has been really helpful.

Can you give us some more info about your interests? Have you lived in Toronto or Mtl. before? Where do you plan/hope to live after? 

Do you speak French fluently? At McGill, you will likely be sent all over the place for placements, so keep that in mind. 

At McGill, there's a lot of interest in bilingualism and neurogenic disorders, according to the site. 

While I admittedly have never been to the McGill school of comm. studies, it seems it's separate from the OT and PT schools. At U of T, SLP, OT, and PT are all in the same building in the Faculty of Rehabilitation Sciences, which is in the middle of "hospital row". 

McGill's program is just over half the size of U of T's. So if a small class is appealing to you, consider that. 

Thanks Inny!

The questions you asked about me are both VERY relevant to my hesitations about McGill. 

I have never spent much time in Montreal but I have heard amazing things about the city and feel this would be one of my only chances to live in the city. On the other hand, I have been to Toronto many times and I have family in and around the city. 

As for my french abilities... I took french immersion for 13 years and at one point was fluent but now I would NOT consider myself bilingual...Does anyone know about how this would influence my internship and practicums? I read that unless students are bilingual, they will have to take a placement outside of Quebec for their summer internships. This would not be the case at U of T. 

Overall, I am torn because McGill does have a very good reputation, small program and great research focus... all in a great city!! However... U of T is equally as prestigious without certain challenges such as language

Kath 16: 

Thanks for the advice!! I have to admit, I have also heard that McGill is the "gold" for SLP programs. Yet, I agree that once you have qualified as an SLP it shouldn't matter where you studied. 

Does anyone know anything about being waitlisted at University of Ottawa? i.e. number of people waitlisted, ranking, etc.

When over there for the interview, we asked and of the 50 who got interviews, 25 get accepted, 15 get put on the waitlist and 10 are rejected. A friend of mine emailed the admin officer to find out about ranking and this is what was replied:

Votre rang dans la liste doit demeurer confidentiel. Nous ne pouvons vous fournir d'avantage d'information pour le moment sur vos chances de vous mériter une place pour septembre 2013. Désolé

Argh!

Another friend of mine who got accepted to the program told me that the deadline to accept or reject an acceptance is April 22nd, and that if they do accept an acceptance, an initial deposit must be made by May 15 or else they cancel your acceptance. So basically I'm thinking waitlisted people should start hearing after April 22nd.

Fingers crossed and good luck!

Hi all,

I just joined and was reading through all of the posts and getting lots of good info! 

I received a letter from UT today and I am on the waitlist. It is the only school I've applied to so I am hoping for the best!

Congrats to all those that have been accepted and good luck to all those waitlisted like me!!

For those who are curious... there are 30 people on the wait list at U of T (50 spots), and as was said before, 70 people on the wait list at Western (36 spots last year... not sure on # this year?).

They won't tell you where you are on the wait list at U of T, however, Western will tell you which third of the list you are on.

Edited by speechapp

For those who are curious... there are 30 people on the wait list at U of T (50 spots), and as was said before, 70 people on the wait list at Western (36 spots last year... not sure on # this year?).

They won't tell you where you are on the wait list at U of T, however, Western will tell you which third of the list you are on.

Good to know that the U of T list is much shorter. Does anyone know if they will tell us our approximate position, like Western?

Hi Cgyslp! I just saw that you are deciding between U of T and McGill, and thought I would comment since I'm in the exact same boat as you! I also never thought I would end up getting into McGill, such a surprise. I actually went and spoke with one of my professors from my undergrad today (He is an SLP), to get some advice. He told me that McGill is like 'gold' in the SLP world for some reason. It seems to hold a lot of prestige. Obviously, I would not choose a school based on that, but it is interesting. 

He also made the point that I would be in much smaller classes at McGill, which would be nice. The size of U of T's program seems a bit intimidating to me. I also really like the research focuses at McGill, but that is obviously specific to my personal interests. 

I haven't made any final decisions yet, but at this point my gut feeling is McGill. Let me know when you decide where to go! 

Thanks Inny!

The questions you asked about me are both VERY relevant to my hesitations about McGill. 

I have never spent much time in Montreal but I have heard amazing things about the city and feel this would be one of my only chances to live in the city. On the other hand, I have been to Toronto many times and I have family in and around the city. 

As for my french abilities... I took french immersion for 13 years and at one point was fluent but now I would NOT consider myself bilingual...Does anyone know about how this would influence my internship and practicums? I read that unless students are bilingual, they will have to take a placement outside of Quebec for their summer internships. This would not be the case at U of T. 

Overall, I am torn because McGill does have a very good reputation, small program and great research focus... all in a great city!! However... U of T is equally as prestigious without certain challenges such as language

Kath 16: 

Thanks for the advice!! I have to admit, I have also heard that McGill is the "gold" for SLP programs. Yet, I agree that once you have qualified as an SLP it shouldn't matter where you studied. 

Hi guys, a little info on McGill from a McGillian and Montrealer :)

Beatty Hall is a nice old building up on the mountain -- so you're looking at a nice hike walk to get there or there's a bus that runs along the street it's on. There's also this really great view overlooking the city if anyone's interested.

If you're worried about your French in Montreal, really don't worry, there's a lot of English, especially downtown. But with that being said there are also lots of opportunities to practise your French!

As for McGill being SLP "gold", it does have a really great repuation, especially associated with its research focus. Having volunteered with SLPs who have gone through McGill's program, one thing that they all agreed on was that it was very theoretical. They went on to say that fresh out of school, it was an adjustment to to really being comfortable with working with your clients. One did say though that she didn't know any SLP now that wasn't awesome at their job!

And yeah, totally agree about no matter where you go though, once an SLP always an SLP. Any school will help prepare us. I guess it comes down to where you want to move your life and make your 2 years great and memorable ones before going out into the "real world".

I don't understand how Western can have 70 people on the waitlist if they only really accept 33-36 a year. I am really nervous about the class size now. What if they have 70 spots this year? That's a HUGE class!

Hi guys, a little info on McGill from a McGillian and Montrealer :)

Beatty Hall is a nice old building up on the mountain -- so you're looking at a nice hike walk to get there or there's a bus that runs along the street it's on. There's also this really great view overlooking the city if anyone's interested.

If you're worried about your French in Montreal, really don't worry, there's a lot of English, especially downtown. But with that being said there are also lots of opportunities to practise your French!

As for McGill being SLP "gold", it does have a really great repuation, especially associated with its research focus. Having volunteered with SLPs who have gone through McGill's program, one thing that they all agreed on was that it was very theoretical. They went on to say that fresh out of school, it was an adjustment to to really being comfortable with working with your clients. One did say though that she didn't know any SLP now that wasn't awesome at their job!

And yeah, totally agree about no matter where you go though, once an SLP always an SLP. Any school will help prepare us. I guess it comes down to where you want to move your life and make your 2 years great and memorable ones before going out into the "real world".

I'm going to chime in as another Montrealer who attended McGill for Undergrad.  McGill has an awesome reputation in the USA, but it's international reputation should not be a deciding factor, especially if you're planning on staying in Canada.  All the schools in Canada are great and will get you where you need to go.

I will say that McGill has the fewest number of internship hours for SLP (the pdf Inny linked to earlier has that information for all the schools) and that it important.  When I first began researching SLP programs, a friend put me in touch with an SLP (graduated from McGill several years ago)  who said she found that McGill graduates were the least prepared for the job, at least initially.  She actually suggested I attend University of Alberta as she found that graduates from there were more experienced.

Another SLP (graduated a few years ago) told me it's best to go to school in the location you're planning on staying and working.  She said that the internships and faculty were essential for networking and finding a job later on.

Thanks! Congratulations on making a choice and best of luck with your studies :)

UofA never got back to you? If they didn't - and your application was obviously super competitive - maybe there's still hope...

I still haven't heard from them...From the stats you posted earlier, YOUR application is one of the most competitive on the board.  I have no doubt you'll be accepted at U of A, but I understand how nerve racking the wait is, especially at this point. I'm guessing they are having difficulties finding opportunities to meet and discuss the applications, but I'm sure that explanation doesn't help too much :(