Decisions 2013?!

Lilac13

I could have posted this in the general Decisions forum, but I didn't want this thread to be filled with responses from other disciplines (not that their responses don't matter, but because I think it would be more helpful to discuss this among people entering the same field and programs). As we all know, decisions have started rolling in. I know there's still a little over six weeks before the April 15th date, but I figured why not start a thread for the decision process. While I am sure everyone has not received all of their decisions, I am quite certain we have all started to think about where we will decide to start the next chapter of our lives. 

With that being said, what factors are you considering in your decision making process? Have you already decided where you will attend school?

I'll start....I applied to four doctoral programs. I originally only wanted to apply to one program, but was advised to consider a few other options. I reached out to POIs at the four schools, but only heard back from and had in-depth conversations with POIs from two of the schools. It just so happens that those were the two schools I was accepted to. I was rejected from the other two. My first acceptance was from my top choice, Stanford. I am happy to say, I recently accepted my offer from SGSE. The biggest factors that went into my decision were (these are not in rank order):

1. My fit with my adviser- research interests, personality, and mentoring style. I was able to gauge this from meeting with him several times and talking to a number of the students he advises.
  2. Flexibility to tailor my studies to meet my needs and interests. I believe in an interdisciplinary approach to tackling my the issues I am interested in researching. SGSE requires students to earn a masters or a minor outside of the school of education. I've heard taking courses and earning degrees from other departments is not easy to do at some universities.
  3. Guaranteed funding (tuition, stipend, and support for health insurance) - I didn't want to stress about whether or not I would be funded year to year and where the funding would could from. I've heard environments where funding is not guaranteed can often times be quite competitive and not necessarily in a good way.
  4. Location- I am married to someone who works in technology, so it was important that we live in an area where he has a variety of career opportunities. 
Edited by EW33

I just want to be sure that everyone knows that the above post is not me giving advice, I am just sharing what went in to MY decision process. In no way am I saying what works for me, will work for any of you. The intent of starting the thread was to create a common place for those of us in the process of making decisions in the education arena.

Happy Decision Making!  :D

Edited by EW33

Thank you for starting this thread! It seemed lonely with just your post so far, so I thought I would join in :rolleyes:.
 One of my friends suggested I make a pro-con list 2.0. Instead of simply listing out the pros v. cons, have a number rating system (1-5).

ie. weather:

Philly 1, Palo Alto 5

cohort size

Philly 4, Palo Alto 2

etc. etc.

After you have a ridiculous number of variables, you can add everything up and see who wins. Not that you could actually make your final decision based on numbers, but it could help quantify the information. I think I'm going to make one of those lists before I visit my schools and after (to see how it changes).

This is going to be tough, but we can do it!!! :D

When you create your decision list, make sure that finances (did you receive any grants or scholarships? can you afford the cost of living in the school's region? does the school provide decent campus or off-campus housing?) and geographic fit (do you prefer a cooler or warmer climate? do you need to live close to spouse and/or family? can you see yourself working in the school's metropolitan area post-graduation?) are included in your decisions. I cannot stress this enough. Since entry- ($20,000-$40,000) and mid-level ($40,000-$60,000) positions are not high-paying in the education sector, avoid going into too much debt for an education master's degree.

Edited by michigan girl

I am still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but I don' think they'll change my mind. I am deciding between two international education and one international development programs. I have yet to reach a decision, but here are some of the things that are important to me.

1. Job: This shouldn't require an explanation. What's the point of attending a program if I'm going to be unemployed afterwards? I'm probably considering the strength of each program's alumni networking, career development tools, etc.
  2. Location: Most international education development organizations are in Washington DC or NYC. If a school isn't located near there or doesn't have some sort of way to connect to professional development in those areas the program isn't for me.
  3. Program: I want to work, not go on and get a PhD, so I want my program to be practitioner-based.
  4. Faculty: Are there faculty that research or have a background in a specific interest of mine?
  5. Financial Aid: This may or may not be a concern...I'm still thinking about it.
  6. Flexibility in Choosing Courses: Can I take courses in other departments or programs if it's related to what I want to do?

When you create your decision list, make sure that finances (did you receive any grants or scholarships? can you afford the cost of living in the school's region? does the school provide decent campus or off-campus housing?) and geographic fit (do you prefer a cooler or warmer climate? do you need to live close to spouse and/or family? can you see yourself working in the school's metropolitan area post-graduation?) are included in your decisions. I cannot stress this enough. Since entry- ($20,000-$40,000) and mid-level ($40,000-$60,000) positions are not high-paying in the education sector, avoid going into too much debt for an education master's degree.

How important would you say geographic location/school area is? I'm debating between UCLA and Michigan and cannot really see myself staying in Ann Arbor/the Midwest beyond grad school. At the same time, I know Michigan's two-year program that I applied to is supposed to be really really excellent. I'm hoping to eventually end up in the Bay area, or around DC.

Personally, location was huge for me, not just in making decisions, but in sending applications.  For example, I decided not to apply to Michigan because even though they have a great program, I did not want to leave Chicago for Ann Arbor for two years.  I really wanted to be in a city.  

I figure that wherever I go to school, there is a good chance I will be making connections in that state, which is part of why I like Vanderbilt.  Because Nashville is the state capitol and I am going into policy, they have a lot of great opportunities linked with the state government.  If I am going to end up outside of Chicago, there are only a select few locations I am interested in living.  None of the great schools in Chicago offer my specific program.  

Weather isn't a real factor, but looking out at this blizzard and then checking that it's supposed to be 70 in Nashville this weekend... well it's certainly not a factor working against Vandy :).  

Still waiting to hear from a couple of programs though - hopefully soon!!!

Though I'm still waiting to hear from one last school, one thing I'm definitely considering in my process is the strength of departments outside of education. Since it's definitely a cross-disciplinary field, I'm looking at the organization management departments at business schools, sociology departments, public policy schools, etc.

I'm also considering places where I would be able to work with multiple faculty and cultivate a variety of research skills - this is definitely more appealing to me than the science model where a student works with one faculty.

Good luck to everyone - it's getting to be that time.

• 3 weeks later...

How did you come to choose Penn over TC? I am still torn between the two... Penn is smaller and seems to be very friendly, which is what I like, but TC program in Intl Development is more comprehensive. I really don't know what people do to eventually choose one over the other.

I can only really speak to the higher ed program for the most part. I had heard from multiple people that TC only had two dedicated faculty and then faculty focused in other divisions. I also had heard that there wasn't much of a cohort experience due to a higher percentage of part-time students. This was from a past student. I also wanted to make sure I had a grad assistantship because I want some practical experience as well. TC didn't seem quite as supportive in this process. That being said I did not visit TC so maybe my perceptions would have changed but Penn just feels right for me especially after visiting and meeting the professors. Interestingly I just spoke with a current HGSE higher ed student and their program does not seem to have much of a practical component. She even said she knew some that had wished they had gone to Penn for that reason so was nice to have my perceptions confirmed. So I think everything has worked out the right way for me based on the grad experience I'm looking for.

Good luck with your decision. As of last week I was definitely riddled with indecision but now I'm owning the one I've made. That being said I'm sure you can't go wrong with either school, anybody who sees your résumé will want to get you in for an interview. What an awesome position to be in.

I'm still wrestling with my decision too.  My goal is to work in study abroad and I'm debating between the following three programs:

• Vanderbilt (Higher Ed Admin) - Really liked the school, people and faculty.  Offered a GA position that makes it affordable.  Just concerned that it doesn't expose me to a lot of study abroad specific issues and that Nashville doens't have as many opportunities/connections as the schools in DC.
  • George Washington (Higher Ed Admin) - Again, liked the school and that the International Ed program offers several courses that are directly related to study abroad program management.  Did not receive any financial aid, so this is looking extremely expensive.  Being located in DC seems like a huge plus for making connections in my field though, but again this has a much higher cost of living compared to Nashville.
  • American (International Training & Education) - Very different from the other two schools, but the focus is all about what I'm interested in.  Also didn't receive any money from them.

I'm open to any thoughts others might have!  Hard to believe that decision day is less than three weeks away!

Edited by suorange03

I'm also still struggling!

I have a question - when you talk about how it isn't wise to go into debt for a masters degree -- what about emptying your bank account on a masters degree (but not going into debt)?  I have worked for 7 years, so in addition to a bit set away in an IRA retirement fund (which of course I won't touch), I also have enough money in savings to fund my masters / living expenses for 2 years.  However, at Vanderbilt I likely won't have to touch that money (or maybe only reduce it by 10-20% max), by doing an assistantship 20 hours per week that is mostly unrelated to my area of interest.  At UCLA, I will likely use all of it or close to all of it.     

There are big differences in the programs.  Vanderbilt seems to be practitioner based, and the SSCE program at UCLA is all about theory.  I love theory and am planning on pursing a PhD, but am not 100% sure yet and am open to professional options.  In terms of location, I'd like to end up in California someday, and am not thrilled at all about the prospect of moving to Nashville.   I also got into Columbia TC, but I think now the the advantages of the other two programs (funding / quality of program) have ruled that out for me.   

I guess my question is - is it worth it to spend all of your savings on a masters in a program you'd probably be happier in, in a location you'd probably be happier in, or go with the financially safe option and worry about the other factors when you apply for your PhD later on? 

How did you come to choose Penn over TC? I am still torn between the two... Penn is smaller and seems to be very friendly, which is what I like, but TC program in Intl Development is more comprehensive. I really don't know what people do to eventually choose one over the other.
I am also trying to make a decision between TC and Penn (international educational development as well!). Penn staff is very friendly and helpful, and I imagine the cost of living in Philadelphia to be a little cheaper. I agree that TC's program seems more comprehensive and has a wider variety of courses to choose from (in fact I'm finding it a little difficult to find a complete course guide for the IED program at Penn), however I really like the internship component at Penn and the close connection with UNESCO. Size: Penn has a class of 25-30 students and TC's is bigger with about 75. I think I prefer a bigger class size - more diversity of ideas and backgrounds, more connections. Even the Associate Director of the Penn IED program attended TC, as did a couple other faculty members, so I like that there's a bigger alumni base. However with more students comes more responsibility on my part to seek and find opportunities, and I have read that TC's Career Services can be unhelpful at times (unsure how credible these sources are though). Location: As mentioned above, I think living in Philadelphia would be cheaper. I have never been an NYC kind of girl, it has always seemed too claustrophobic, rushed, dirty and of course, expensive...so I'm pretty hesitant. Then again, if I go full-time, I will only be there for one calendar year... Future Employment I am still gathering information about this. Penn's program is new (it started in 2008), so I am not sure what its reputation is among NGOs and other international-focused organizations. However, that basically guaranteed UNESCO internship is sure to open many doors. TC seems to be more internationally recognized, and since I hope to wrk abroad, that's a big factor as well. Faculty: At TC, I will be concentrating on African Education and it seems as though it only has 1 dedicated faculty member, though I think the entire IED department has about 12 dedicated faculty members. Penn seems to be the same - with close to 5 being dedicated IEDP faculty and then faculty from other departments. Cost: They both cost about the same, and TC gave me a little more money than Penn. I will not have the chance to visit either before April 15 so that's a big bummer! But right now, with the info I have, I am leaning towards TC.

I'm leaning towards TC for the same reasons too. The only scary thing is that as the class size is comparatively large, I'm afraid it may be hard to get  strong recommendation letters from your professors afterwards, and since I may be doing further education after my masters, it's very important to get strong support from them. Penn has Richard Wagner, and he worked for UNCESCO in France for a long time before coming to Penn.  The school is obviously very proud when they advertise about their "special relationship" with UNCESCO on their website. I guess they want to stress that as their uniqueness if people want to put their program and that of TC side by side. Funny and smart.

I'm leaning towards TC for the same reasons too. The only scary thing is that as the class size is comparatively large, I'm afraid it may be hard to get  strong recommendation letters from your professors afterwards, and since I may be doing further education after my masters, it's very important to get strong support from them. 

(speaking in generalities) This may actually be to your advantage because it'll motivate you to stand out more, and the recommendation may go farther. The TC alumni network in my mind is one of the strongest features of the school.

I'm also still struggling!

I have a question - when you talk about how it isn't wise to go into debt for a masters degree -- what about emptying your bank account on a masters degree (but not going into debt)?  I have worked for 7 years, so in addition to a bit set away in an IRA retirement fund (which of course I won't touch), I also have enough money in savings to fund my masters / living expenses for 2 years.  However, at Vanderbilt I likely won't have to touch that money (or maybe only reduce it by 10-20% max), by doing an assistantship 20 hours per week that is mostly unrelated to my area of interest.  At UCLA, I will likely use all of it or close to all of it.     

There are big differences in the programs.  Vanderbilt seems to be practitioner based, and the SSCE program at UCLA is all about theory.  I love theory and am planning on pursing a PhD, but am not 100% sure yet and am open to professional options.  In terms of location, I'd like to end up in California someday, and am not thrilled at all about the prospect of moving to Nashville.   I also got into Columbia TC, but I think now the the advantages of the other two programs (funding / quality of program) have ruled that out for me.   

I guess my question is - is it worth it to spend all of your savings on a masters in a program you'd probably be happier in, in a location you'd probably be happier in, or go with the financially safe option and worry about the other factors when you apply for your PhD later on? 

I think it honestly depends on your situation in life. Would you be okay with no longer having that money there? Are you looking at any other life changes that would need money right away? ie. house, getting married, children

It sounds like you really don't want to go to Vandy and it wouldn't give you the experience you crave. UCLA is an incredibly research heavy/theory heavy school and would definitely prepare you much more for a PhD. In my opinion, you shouldn't go to a school if it's not going to help you with your future career. If it doesn't necessarily get you where you want, why would you want to waste your time there?

As long as you aren't going to be hindered by not having that money in your bank account, I would definitely go to UCLA. Also, is there a chance to get more money in year two? or potentially gaining residency (assuming you don't have it already) to decrease tuition? I would ask those questions as well. If you're paying a bunch for first year, but then paying significantly less the second year, it could be worth it.

Follow your heart (and make the logical decision too!) :)

I think that's good advice, HigherEd - thank you.  I don't have any plans for anything immediate like children or marriage etc.   I think I just worry about money more than most because my parents are on the verge of bankruptcy / unemployed / no retirement fund etc.. so I have literally saved every extra penny I could, from the time I graduated.  

But actually I originally thought the SSCE program was 2 years (one of the professors even told me that...?)... but it turns out it is only 1 year!  I guess that's kind of good news financially (but not really since I would be saving tons on in-state-residency tuition during the second year anyway).  Therefore, I wouldn't have the time to complete a thesis (I have been told that 90% of students choose to go the comprehensive exam route because there is simply no time).  I guess I'll see what my options are for sticking around longer, and doing a thesis.  Otherwise, I wonder how valuable an MA really is (in terms of applying for PhDs)... if there is no thesis?  

I think it might be fairly easy to move into the PhD program at UCLA afterwards (so I've been told), but even PhD students there are saying they often don't make enough to cover living expenses...

Hey Ay, in terms of residency in California, time spent as a student does not count towards gaining residency. You would have to work for a year BEFORE attending school in order to qualify for residency.

Source: http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/faq/residencefaq.htm

Quote: "To establish residence the student must be physically present in California for more than one year and must have come here with the intent to make California his or her home. Physical presence California solely for educational purposes does not constitute the establishment of California residence, regardless of the length of stay." - UCLA registrar

I am still in the process of deciding between NYU steinhardt and teachers college for a masters in sociology of education. I received a good amount of scholarship aid from both schools so I am just trying to determine which school offers the program I want. I'm leaning toward TC at the moment but we'll see what happens. NYU has added a more personal touch along the way, which of course makes me feel more special. But TCs program has a little less structure, allowing me to attain the skills I want to take from the program in a more flexible manner.

Anyone else facing a similar conundrum?

Lbessmer - the organizer of my cohort said that you can (and everyone in fact does) become a resident after 1 year. I think what you say is true for undergraduate students, but not independent graduate students.  Undergraduate / dependent students are required to have their parents move to the state of california before they will be considered a resident.  You can show that you "intend to make california your home" by getting a CA drivers license, filing for state taxes in CA, filing out a voter's registration form, etc.

Although I can't find anything specifically that states this on UCLA's website, it does say this on Berkeley's website:  "If you are not a resident of California, you will need to know the current requirements for establishing legal residency. In most cases, graduate students can qualify for legal residency by their second year of graduate school, thereby significantly reducing their tuition and fees (by approximately $15,000* for academic programs or approximately $12,200* for professional programs)."

Lbessmer - the organizer of my cohort said that you can (and everyone in fact does) become a resident after 1 year. I think what you say is true for undergraduate students, but not independent graduate students.  Undergraduate / dependent students are required to have their parents move to the state of california before they will be considered a resident.  You can show that you "intend to make california your home" by getting a CA drivers license, filing for state taxes in CA, filing out a voter's registration form, etc.

Although I can't find anything specifically that states this on UCLA's website, it does say this on Berkeley's website:  "If you are not a resident of California, you will need to know the current requirements for establishing legal residency. In most cases, graduate students can qualify for legal residency by their second year of graduate school, thereby significantly reducing their tuition and fees (by approximately $15,000* for academic programs or approximately $12,200* for professional programs)."

Woah that is awesome! I had no idea it was different for graduate students. Sounds like a good deal.