Fall 2014 applicants??

So...Stanford (not counting the 3 wicked early postings) should be soon. And maybe more news from Harvard? Anyone have any insight to Purdue?

I wish I had more insight into Purdue. Nothing on the results board yet, but I found this post yesterday:

That's the English lit program, but I'm not going to infer anything about acceptances yet. 

Actually, at least in my case, the English department at Brown got in touch pretty soon after I'd received the letter from the grad school, and seemed to be under the impression that they were breaking the news to me. So I think the notification was maybe actually meant to come from the department. There's been a lot of contact from the department since too, so it's actually all felt pretty personalized, template acceptance letter notwithstanding

Seconded.

Ah sorry for the mistake and congrats!

So I was concerned about UVA until I looked at the past boards and now I just don't care. They accept all over the board so until I'm rejected, I'm staying positive!!! Good luck to everyone and I hope people hear from Purdue soon.

So I was concerned about UVA until I looked at the past boards and now I just don't care. They accept all over the board so until I'm rejected, I'm staying positive!!! Good luck to everyone and I hope people hear from Purdue soon.

Stay positive about Virginia! Unfortunately with Purdue they continuously evaluate and re-evaluate applications, so who knows ultimately when they'll get to any one of us.

Stay positive about Virginia! Unfortunately with Purdue they continuously evaluate and re-evaluate applications, so who knows ultimately when they'll get to any one of us.

You poor Purdue people! That is so mean! I really hope you get in soon! 

I have to say, Harvard seems slightly rude. A mass email for acceptances? Really? They only accept at most 8 people probably. Is it that hard to personalize it? Or call people? Plenty of other schools managed to do it. 

How is that any different or worse from a mass e-mail to check the status on an online application form?

Last year Harvard sent out paper rejections, which was oddly nice. I was actually visiting schools at the time and had my roommates open it and text me back. They were so excited for me when they saw the letter and I think it was more of a let down for them than me!

what about NYU literature? Their ddl was 2 months ago!

NYU English already went out I'm pretty sure. Acceptances and Wait lists. If you're talking about Comparative literature, the wait could be for a bit more. 

NYU English already went out I'm pretty sure. Acceptances and Wait lists. If you're talking about Comparative literature, the wait could be for a bit more.

Yes I am talking about comparative literature. I have the bad feeling that rejections would be overwhelming next week.

How is that any different or worse from a mass e-mail to check the status on an online application form?

Last year Harvard sent out paper rejections, which was oddly nice. I was actually visiting schools at the time and had my roommates open it and text me back. They were so excited for me when they saw the letter and I think it was more of a let down for them than me!

Usually when you get to the site, it has a personalized letter (at least mine did for when I was accepted). UConn, for example, sent an email with a very nice, personalized letter. Tufts called and a few days letter, a POI contacted me. I figured that Harvard, one of the top schools in the country, would go that extra mile. BUT they obviously don't have to. I mean, it is an amazing feeling, I'm sure, just to read the Congratulations :) 

I received an email from Purdue on February 18th that I think is worth quoting in full: 

[Firstname], 

Thank you for your interest in graduate studies at Purdue University.  This email serves as verification that your application file is complete and currently is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee.  Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis--meaning we make offers of admission over the course of several months beginning in early February and ending in mid-April, and candidates may receive admission or rejection notices at any time during that period.  Last year, for example, we were able to notify a few candidates as early as the first week of February, but most of our offers were not finalized until mid-March (and one offer was made in the afternoon on the April 15th national deadline).  To put all this another way: we can't predict when we'll be able to contact you, but you can be sure that we'll do so as soon as circumstances allow. 

We also want to emphasize that the English Department does not rely on a formal waiting list to make admissions decisions.  We use an on-going evaluation/re-evaluation process that takes into account our changing areas of need and available funding opportunities, and we choose candidates from our pool of qualified applicants based on these factors. 

Finally, we recognize and understand the anxiety associated with the admissions process, especially given the proliferation and popularity of websites and wikis where individuals post information about their acceptances and rejections. Waiting to hear from schools is extremely difficult, and we know people worry about the status of their applications and their chances for receiving an offer. We want to emphasize the fact that, unless you receive a rejection notice from us, you most definitely remain a competitive applicant in our pool of potential candidates (even if other people are posting online that they have received offers from Purdue).  

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Jill 

Not sure if that makes people feel more or less anxious. 

Edited by fancyprosestyle

Yes. I've been living with that email since January 13th! The method is beneficial to applicants, but induces more anxiety/complicates a student's ability to respond to other offers in a timely manner.

Is it just me or are most schools notifying earlier than usual this year? Because I’m a crazy person, I created a spreadsheet with all of the schools I applied to, their typical notification pattern (acceptances first, rejections first, etc.), around what week they’ve historically replied, the earliest they’ve ever replied, the latest they’ve ever replied, etc. 

10 of my schools have reported/started reporting and all but one of them started reporting about a week before they ever have in the past.

Are other people’s schools like this? I’m wondering if it’s just a new trend to notify earlier. 

I'm at the point in the process where I've finally accepted that there's nothing I can do but free-fall and so I appreciate the smallest gestures from departments re: acknowledging how anxiety-inducing this can be. "This isn't personal but we understand that it personally affects you" is a fine line to walk but one I'm always happy to see programs attempt. It's possible, of course, that I've hit the level of nerves where instead of being jumpy everything inside of me is incessantly calm. 

Edited by fancyprosestyle

While I think there's an overall trend of schools getting back earlier this year, the east coast seems to be a different story, perhaps because of the weather. Most schools (except UConn and Harvard) seem to be reporting a bit later than usual. My guess is, if Princeton is getting back to us this week, they'll start making calls/e-mails tomorrow at the earliest (based on the fact no one has posted anything). Looks like an implied rejection from Harvard for me, though I'm not too heartbroken about it. It was only a good fit halfway. Princeton...well, both people in my field at my school got their PhDs there, so we'll see. But I'm not expecting a miracle.

University of Washington and my current school are really the only two programs I'm waiting to hear back from that I might get anything from, but we'll see. Also, I'll see what happens with CUNY's wait list.

Is it just me or are most schools notifying earlier than usual this year? Because I’m a crazy person, I created a spreadsheet with all of the schools I applied to, their typical notification pattern (acceptances first, rejections first, etc.), around what week they’ve historically replied, the earliest they’ve ever replied, the latest they’ve ever replied, etc. 

10 of my schools have reported/started reporting and all but one of them started reporting about a week before they ever have in the past.

Are other people’s schools like this? I’m wondering if it’s just a new trend to notify earlier. 

Hmm, with only last year for comparison, this seems pretty typical. Only because most visiting days are within the first couple week/end/s of March. But schools continued to notify after visiting days into April, which was why I still say 'it ain't over till it's over'. 

Schools do seem to be sending rejections earlier this year. I don't think I received any of my rejections sooner than March last year.

I hope Harvard doesn't give up their tradition of sending out paper rejections. It's an oddly nice thing in an era of barely any material relations.

And mass emails...don't know about that. I don't find anything off-putting about it, I guess. I was contacted by the DGSs, and then official notification arrived after a while asking me to find a formal letter within the online application. 

(As a side note, the person the board who said they were told CUNY doesn't offer funding confuses me. a) Why would you apply?? b ) Why would you apply if you obviously don't know anything about the program; they do offer funding! It looks like someone was getting two-three year old information about CUNY. It says right on their program page that they've made significant changes to their financial package to make it more competitive. it just baffles me that someone did so little research and applied to the school anyway.)

Edit: stupid cool sunglasses emoticon B)

Edited by shortstack51

I'm reaaallly appreciate of the early rejections this year (didn't know it was different in years past).  The one thing that pissed me off a lot when talking to past applicants was their claim that some schools never even notify you, and if they do at all, it's not til August.  Mind you, I don't mind being "kept hanging" into late March and early April because I'm somehow still in the running but they are awaiting other factors.  But "left hanging" into late March/April/and beyond when the school knows for sure that I'm just not what they're looking for, no matter what happens with their top choices, etc., grrrrrr, that's really bothersome.

I got my third official rejection today (from Northeastern; randomly checked the website).  It was sort of a middle choice for me, so I'm not terribly disappointed.  The thing about Boston is that, while I would love to live in that city, something about the schools doesn't give me the greatest feeling.  I feel like I wouldn't fit, just personality-wise, school-culture-wise.  I could be totally wrong, but that's my intuition.  I would have, of course, taken it if I had gotten into Northeastern, but given that I felt this not-great vibe, I'm not inclined to be crushed....

I received an email from Purdue on February 18th that I think is worth quoting in full: 

"

[Firstname], 

Thank you for your interest in graduate studies at Purdue University.  This email serves as verification that your application file is complete and currently is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee.  Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis--meaning we make offers of admission over the course of several months beginning in early February and ending in mid-April, and candidates may receive admission or rejection notices at any time during that period.  Last year, for example, we were able to notify a few candidates as early as the first week of February, but most of our offers were not finalized until mid-March (and one offer was made in the afternoon on the April 15th national deadline).  To put all this another way: we can't predict when we'll be able to contact you, but you can be sure that we'll do so as soon as circumstances allow. 

We also want to emphasize that the English Department does not rely on a formal waiting list to make admissions decisions.  We use an on-going evaluation/re-evaluation process that takes into account our changing areas of need and available funding opportunities, and we choose candidates from our pool of qualified applicants based on these factors. 

Finally, we recognize and understand the anxiety associated with the admissions process, especially given the proliferation and popularity of websites and wikis where individuals post information about their acceptances and rejections. Waiting to hear from schools is extremely difficult, and we know people worry about the status of their applications and their chances for receiving an offer. We want to emphasize the fact that, unless you receive a rejection notice from us, you most definitely remain a competitive applicant in our pool of potential candidates (even if other people are posting online that they have received offers from Purdue).  

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Jill 

"

Not sure if that makes people feel more or less anxious. 

Man I didn't get that email until today... guess that means they hate me.

Oh well, always next year.

:-P