Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

oh, I completely understand the sentiment, I'm just trying to encourage you not to think of this as a personal rejection.  It's not healthy that our profession encourages us to identify so much with our work.  Sometimes no matter how good you are it's outside of your control.  I didn't get into one school because they were certain I'd get in somewhere better... which did happen.. but if I'd been stuck out that year I'd have been very annoyed.  I'm also a weird combination of different kinds of historian and that either impresses people or makes them think I'm delusional.

oh, I completely understand the sentiment, I'm just trying to encourage you not to think of this as a personal rejection.  It's not healthy that our profession encourages us to identify so much with our work.  Sometimes no matter how good you are it's outside of your control.  I didn't get into one school because they were certain I'd get in somewhere better... which did happen.. but if I'd been stuck out that year I'd have been very annoyed.  I'm also a weird combination of different kinds of historian and that either impresses people or makes them think I'm delusional.

haha well at last you ended up somewhere better! Thank you for the reminder that it is not a personal rejection. This is a process that has so many factors going on. I'll likely come back and read this in between conversations with my advisor who also emphasized this as we planned my application strategy...hence the 17 apps ha

God bless you for seventeen.  I managed eight my year and when it came down to Stanford at the end I just couldn't make myself fill it out (or spend the app fee).

It was absolutely daunting on both counts. I ended up having a portion of my TA check "disappear" my first year as a TA which gave me enough money to pay for it while making me feel like I was running out of money in my other account ha! The rest took a lot of patience and food network, but once the main documents were done it was just tedious, not difficult. I figure with how hard things are it is better to go all out (as all out as you can manage that is!)

What are your thoughts on UPenn doing interviews? Think they are interviewing everyone they are interested in since it is being run through the DGS?

They did interviews last year.  I'm pretty sure you can assume if you haven't been contacted for an interview you can write them off.

As far as I know they interview everyone. I don't know how typical my case was but I was contacted for an interview in early February, several weeks after I saw interviews go up on the results board.

As far as I know they interview everyone. I don't know how typical my case was but I was contacted for an interview in early February, several weeks after I saw interviews go up on the results board.

Maybe they are or have done them in phases or at the convenience of POIs? Who knows but good to know that they likely interview all applicants.

It's extremely unlikely any school would interview all applicants, assuming there are several hundred, or even 100 qualified ones. It's probably a number larger than the acceptance pool, but not all.

It's extremely unlikely any school would interview all applicants, assuming there are several hundred, or even 100 qualified ones. It's probably a number larger than the acceptance pool, but not all.

I definitely meant all they are considering admitting not all that would be crazy! Probably a good way for the DGS to further narrow the pool. I just meant to suggest there might be different waves of interviewing. For example, they could have put 5 through to the next round already and have 10 spots left so they are interviewing 15 (or some number) for the 10 spots.

Sorry for not being clear..maybe posting from my phone and while recovering from jet lag is making me suggest crazy things ha!

Sorry, I meant everyone they were seriously considering extending offers to.

So much clarification to things that I bet we all assumed ha!.... of course they are only interviewing people they are seriously considering extending offers to...I guess what I got from your post is that they might do them at different times

So much clarification to things that I bet we all assumed ha!.... of course they are only interviewing people they are seriously considering extending offers to...I guess what I got from your post is that they might do them at different times

I meant that too.

To clarify: to my knowledge the set of people interviewed is substantially smaller than the applicant pool but also larger than the set of people ultimately given an offer. Also, and this was my real point, don't yet assume you've been rejected if you haven't been asked to interview. My interview came several weeks after people started posting theirs on the results forum.

I meant that too.

To clarify: to my knowledge the set of people interviewed is substantially smaller than the applicant pool but also larger than the set of people ultimately given an offer. Also, and this was my real point, don't yet assume you've been rejected if you haven't been asked to interview. My interview came several weeks after people started posting theirs on the results forum.

After probably too many posts, we arrive at the original assumption that was made. Thank you for putting up with my application delirium. I can't believe it is getting to be late January already! 

Sorry, should have realized you meant that! I'm sure really anything can happen - they do interviews, accept people, those people don't accept, whatever. If it gives any more info, I asked for a different day than they suggested since it conflicted with my work schedule, and the response was, no, we're only doing those two days, and that's the day your name fell on. So some sort of alphabetical sorting, it seemed?

Edited by levoyous

Just found out that my cell-phone plan has been out of minutes for about 30 hours, so if UPenn called for an interview in that span, it didn't go through on my phone.

DAMN YOU, T-MOBILE AND YOUR REASONABLY PRICED MONTHLY PLANS THAT ULTIMATELY LIMIT MY MINUTES AND CAN THEREFORE BE HIGHLY INCONVENIENT.

thedig13, I think you're fine. But more importantly, who gets T-Mobile? Their coverage is awful.

To be honest, I don't get T-Mobile for their coverage. I get them for their well-priced plans that require no contract, which are positives for me because of my budget. I almost always never call anybody, so it was never a problem before.

From what I've heard, it seems like schools get back to you starting at the beginning of February up until mid March. Is that about accurate? 

Roughly, yes.  Though, if last year is any indication, we could see some programs (Ohio State, Berkeley, Wisconsin, Duke, to name a few) start dropping acceptances in the last days of January.  That's why everyone's getting super anxious.

Edited by jamc8383