NPSIA Fall 2013 Applicants

kdav

Hey guys,

I know a few of us have been chatting here, but I figured I'd create one post for NPSIA-specific updates - if nothing else, because I was really excited to see the first acceptance for Carleton International Affairs on the results page! It was for a PhD candidate (huge congrats to the lucky person!), which means PhD notices are likely going to go out today / early next week (if not all today), and hopefully those applying to do the Masters (like myself) are very close behind them.

If anyone wants to update with any information/decisions they receive outside of what we already know, hopefully we can all hold on for this last stressful period before results are finally out.

Fingers crossed for everyone! Good luck!

Hahaha hear, hear! The comment on the results page indicated that the PhD candidate (who received news via phone call) would be receiving their official offer by next Wednesday, so I'm assuming that the MA candidate applications probably won't change status until mid-next week...

This wait is painful.

Just NPSIA's MA in International Affairs. Probably part of why I'm so obsessively checking haha.

I looked at a number of different programs, but ultimately that was the one that really stood out to me as the right fit for where I want to take my career after finally obtaining my Chartered Accountant (CA) designation this summer.

I already more or less will always have a guaranteed job with that designation (it's a three year endurance test that thankfully is value-adding), so I didn't want to go back to school after all that time unless it was for exactly what I wanted, and will open the career doors that I'm looking for. Basically, I'm sick of being pigeonholed in accounting (even within consulting work), and want to make the strategic decisions, not just account for everyone else's.

How about you?

Per a friend's friend who graduated from NPSIA and is still in close touch with professors, apparently this is a good year to be applying as they've upped the cohort and funding... Not sure exact stats though.

How about you?

I applied to University of Ottawa's MA in Public and International Affairs as well. I think I would prefer NPSIA for its cluster choices, the option to do a thesis, and the school's international reputation. However, the program at U of O looks interesting as well. One advantage there is that it's a bilingual program. Also you can do an international exchange within the program, which is an appealing prospect.

What cluster did you choose for NPSIA? I chose (1) Global Political Economy, (2) International Trade Policy, (3) International Institutions and Global Governance.

Edited by thunderchunky

My top three were International Dimensions of Development, International Trade Policy and International Institutions and Global Governance. That was my ranked order, but honestly, I'd be perfectly happy with any of those, as I think each of them would be really complementary with my background. I'd like to do the program in one year, so will likely be going to coursework option.

You?

The boyfriend and I would like to work abroad again after graduation (he'll be done his engineering Masters in the summer), so the exchange programs and co-ops aren't as big of an interest to me, though an internship could be interesting!

I applied to NPSIA and the program at Ottawa for P&IA.

My three are:

1. International Institutions and Global Governance

2. Intelligence and National Security

3. Conflict Analysis and Conflict Resolution

Hey everyone,

I'm a current NPSIA student who applied last year. It seems that some of you have found some of last years posts and I've been getting messages from some of you NPSIA hopefuls trying to get some more information on the program. Glad to see all the enthusiasm! It's well worth it, trust me!

Anyway, for more information on student life, NPSIA events and the dialogue happening at the school, I would recommend checking out:

NPSIA Students' Association: http://npsiasa.wordpress.com
NPSIA Academic blog: http://npsia.wordpress.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CU_NPSIA

Hopefully that will tide you over until you hear.

Best of luck!

Edited by Skip

Hi all!

I was the one who posted the acceptance to NPSIA's PhD. I received a phone call from the PhD program coordinator and was told by the dept admin (via email, after I emailed her earlier that morning) that the official offer would be received by Wednesday at the latest. I'm thrilled to get an offer!

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear :)

Edited by booksnlooks

Hi everyone! I applied to NPSIA as well (the MA program). Regarding clusters, I chose Political Economy and Dimensions of Development (embarrassingly, I can't seem to remember the third...) I noticed early last week sometime that my status said "review in progress by department", but I never saw that it was "recommended for assessment" before this. Anyone else in the same boat? I've seen a few things written around these forums regarding the "review in progress" status, but I don't know if anyone else has confirmed it themselves. Makes me nervous...
Hopefully we all hear soon. I have made myself sick from worrying...

Hi everyone! I applied to NPSIA as well (the MA program). Regarding clusters, I chose Political Economy and Dimensions of Development (embarrassingly, I can't seem to remember the third...) I noticed early last week sometime that my status said "review in progress by department", but I never saw that it was "recommended for assessment" before this. Anyone else in the same boat? I've seen a few things written around these forums regarding the "review in progress" status, but I don't know if anyone else has confirmed it themselves. Makes me nervous...

hey nicole,

i am in the same boat :) my status was changed from review to recommended for assessment as well.

@fadedgrey, if you don't mind sharing, what was your profile like for MGA? I will be applying there very soon, and that's my first choice so I want to submit a strong app. 

Thanks! Best of luck to all :) 

Hmm, I'm not sure, iamnicole. Mine still says Recommended for Assessment as of just now, as it has for over two weeks now. If we can take the MSW as a good sign, perhaps this is the week that they all start going under review, so that we can hopefully get those coveted Recommended for Admission statuses! Fingers crossed for us all!

I'm not sure if all this speculation is helping us or driving us crazier haha.

@kdav: Probably the latter haha.

ansaria5, Sorry if explained my situation in a confusing way. My status has actually never (to my knowledge) said "recommended for assessment", it has only said "review in progress", but I didn't start checking religiously until last week or the week before :)

hey nicole,

i am in the same boat :) my status was changed from review to recommended for assessment as well.

@fadedgrey, if you don't mind sharing, what was your profile like for MGA? I will be applying there very soon, and that's my first choice so I want to submit a strong app. 

Thanks! Best of luck to all :)

@ansaria5: I have a CGPA of 3.37 (not too spectacular) but a lot of very strong ECs in leadership (currently a Residence Don) and policy work (volunteered for a few think tanks and a law firm).  Your statement will be really important and make sure to spend some time thinking critically about what you specifically want to pursue and how the MGA would be the ideal program for that.

I went to their open house that they had about a week ago and they said that they take a very holistic approach to assessing applications so ECs, work experience, etc. will be taken into consideration as well.  If you want to chat more about it, feel free to PM me :)  Good luck!

The NPSIA website currently says: "The assessment of completed applications for the forthcoming academic year will begin after 15 March."

So I'm Assuming we'll all be seeing recommended for assessment until at least friday.... 

http://www1.carleton.ca/npsia/prospective-students/ma-program/m-a-program-information-and-application-forms/ 

The NPSIA website currently says: "The assessment of completed applications for the forthcoming academic year will begin after 15 March."

So I'm Assuming we'll all be seeing recommended for assessment until at least friday.... 

http://www1.carleton.ca/npsia/prospective-students/ma-program/m-a-program-information-and-application-forms/ 

Clicked the link and its not working. Guess they changed their minds :P

From the NPSIA website, go to prospective students, then "click to learn more about the MA program", and then application information, scroll down a little and its right there!! 

Edited by Blake091