NPSIA Fall 2013 Applicants

kdav

My application was rejected. Not too upset about it as I've been accepted to other schools, but thought I'd post here in case people are keeping track of patterns and such :)

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted!

Did you also get an email?

I'm still waiting to hear something. My application says "Recommended for Assessment". Ugh. The wait is killing me. 

Thank you to all the PM's and words of support I've received - you guys all seem awesome! 

Sadly, this just makes me want to go into the NPSIA program even more.

And for the record it seems that they've accepted a mix of GPA's ranging from 3.2 to 3.9 and a mix of extracurricular's ranging from stellar to average. You all deserve your acceptances, I can only hope to join you soon :-)

^ I believe it's early April for GSPIA. They were so slow acknowledging receipt of documents that I'm not surprised.

I wont be able to survive the rest of March :P  Anyone think I have a chance with a 3.2 GPA (American Uni) with a degree in History and Political Science and two semesters abroad at European Universities? GPSIA is my only hope now :wacko:

Edited by Rumcajs

I was told GSPIA results would go out in April. 

Regarding NPSIA, a friend who was wait-listed for the MA last year was not informed of the status until May. I don't know how many rounds of admission they go through but it seems they will admit people off the wait list right up until the bitter end. This same person finally got an offer of admission in August.

Hello again!

Haha, I just figured I'd let you guys know that your statuses will probably be updated as the FGPA goes through your applications and processes the final offers. My status just changed this afternoon to "Review in Progress by Department", which apparently means they're going through it. On another thread referencing Carleton admissions statuses, the official offer was out either later that afternoon or the next day with admissions details (clusters for us, I'm assuming) and funding details. With any luck, the turnaround time is that quick for the NPSIA applications as well, and we'll have our official offers in hand!

To those still waiting to hear, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Hello again!

Haha, I just figured I'd let you guys know that your statuses will probably be updated as the FGPA goes through your applications and processes the final offers. My status just changed this afternoon to "Review in Progress by Department", which apparently means they're going through it. On another thread referencing Carleton admissions statuses, the official offer was out either later that afternoon or the next day with admissions details (clusters for us, I'm assuming) and funding details. With any luck, the turnaround time is that quick for the NPSIA applications as well, and we'll have our official offers in hand!

To those still waiting to hear, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Mine changed too, thanks for the heads up. 

What cluster did you apply to? 

International Dimensions of Development, International Trade Policy and International Institutions and Global Governance, you? I think I'd honestly be happy with any of those haha.

Really though, the implications of being in a specific cluster are fairly miniscule. You take their econ class and one other cluster-specific one... That's it. Seems a bit funny to me, but I'm not complaining about the flexibility to customize the program!

@kdav: not necessarily! My status has said "review in progress by department" for at least two weeks now (I think three!) and I haven't received any emails as of yet. I hope it works that way for you though :)

International Dimensions of Development, International Trade Policy and International Institutions and Global Governance, you? I think I'd honestly be happy with any of those haha.

Really though, the implications of being in a specific cluster are fairly miniscule. You take their econ class and one other cluster-specific one... That's it. Seems a bit funny to me, but I'm not complaining about the flexibility to customize the program!

I applied for International Security/Intelligence; Conflict Resolution; International Development 

Hoping for the first but would be fine with the other two as well! 

Thanks, @iamnicole! In the e-mail I received yesterday, it said the status would stay at "Recommended for Assessment" until the offer is being processed by the FGPA (which is what happened for AnonymousAcademic in another program after she received the "unofficial" acceptance too), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope your status is updated soon, too!

Hmmm that's strange because I haven't received an email and mine has been review in progress for weeks like I said. Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Congrats on your unofficial acceptance!

Hmmm that's strange because I haven't received an email and mine has been review in progress for weeks like I said. Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Congrats on your unofficial acceptance!

Have you checked your spam?

It's possible you haven't been admitted in the first round but that you are still being kept in consideration for future rounds. I'm just speculating.

To everyone: Is it possible to change your cluster choice after admission?

Edited by thunderchunky

Alright, thanks. I have checked everything I can possibly check multiple times hahah so I don't think it's hiding anywhere, but I guess I'll do my best to be patient for now.

Have you checked your spam?

It's possible you haven't been admitted in the first round but that you are still being kept in consideration for future rounds. I'm just speculating.

To everyone: Is it possible to change your cluster choice after admission?

I wont be able to survive the rest of March :P  Anyone think I have a chance with a 3.2 GPA (American Uni) with a degree in History and Political Science and two semesters abroad at European Universities? GPSIA is my only hope now :wacko:

Do you have work experience? 2nd or foreign languages? What's your desired area of study? Did you make contact with any profs before applying?

My status went from "Preliminary Review Required" to "Review in Progress by Department" to "Recommended for Assessment" where it hung out for a number of weeks. After yesterday's e-mail, it still said "Recommended for Assessment" and we were advised that it would only change again when FGPA was processing, which since it has since changed back to "Review in Progress by Department", I'm assuming is happening...!

This is consistent with what the School of Social Work had posted as the status progressions: http://www1.carleton.ca/socialwork/2013/2013-14-msw-applicants-admissions-decisions

Apparently the last step after this one is "Recommended for Admission", which is when we get the official offer and funding details. Soon!

@Blake091 - A friend is doing international security and intelligence and loves the stream. :)

@thunderchunky - I don't think that we can change clusters after we're admitted, because the department assigns us to the cluster they feel most appropriate with our backgrounds, is my understanding. That being said, very few things are ever truly set in stone!

Do you have work experience? 2nd or foreign languages? What's your desired area of study? Did you make contact with any profs before applying?

WE: None just generic jobs UNLESS I get the internship I applied for at my university with a leading expert on Terrorism.

FL: Limited working proficiency in German (I work on this daily). French elementary.

DAS: Security Policy or Global Governance

POI: Nope. Rookie mistake which I regret. I wish i found this website earlier.

Extra: I am an Eagle Scout :D

Thanks! I know someone who's status was recommended for assessment and then he was rejected so I guess that's what was confusing me (as well as "review in progress" being listed after this step on the MSW page) but hopefully mine will change. It would be nice to have some kind of update!

My status went from "Preliminary Review Required" to "Review in Progress by Department" to "Recommended for Assessment" where it hung out for a number of weeks. After yesterday's e-mail, it still said "Recommended for Assessment" and we were advised that it would only change again when FGPA was processing, which since it has since changed back to "Review in Progress by Department", I'm assuming is happening...!

This is consistent with what the School of Social Work had posted as the status progressions: http://www1.carleton.ca/socialwork/2013/2013-14-msw-applicants-admissions-decisions

Apparently the last step after this one is "Recommended for Admission", which is when we get the official offer and funding details. Soon!

@Blake091 - A friend is doing international security and intelligence and loves the stream. :)

@thunderchunky - I don't think that we can change clusters after we're admitted, because the department assigns us to the cluster they feel most appropriate with our backgrounds, is my understanding. That being said, very few things are ever truly set in stone!

Thanks! I know someone who's status was recommended for assessment and then he was rejected so I guess that's what was confusing me (as well as "review in progress" being listed after this step on the MSW page) but hopefully mine will change. It would be nice to have some kind of update!

I have not received any emails about the status of my application, but my application status at Carleton Central has followed the same pattern as those who did receive the email about receiving official acceptance soon.  My status was "recommended for assessment" for a while, and yesterday it changed to "Review in Progress by Department."  I don't know what this means, but I thought I would put it out there for those who are in the same (or similar) situations.

My university email account does have a very strict spam filter that stops many emails from even reaching my junk mail folder, but I've had no trouble receiving any of Carleton's other emails or emails from other universities, so I don't believe that is the problem.

If I was to hazard a guess, I would say that it is either a matter of being waitlisted, or perhaps they have sent out one round of acceptances, and are still deciding on some remaining applications.  I'm remaining optimistic.  I just hope that they do provide some sort of update for those who are still in limbo, as it would be nice to know where we stand at this point.