NPSIA Fall 2013 Applicants

kdav

I just posted this in GSPIA and I thought I would get advice from those of you that don't read that forum as well! 

Thanks in advance:

Hi guys!

I received my official offer today (GSPIA).

I'm kind of freaking out because I don't know what to do. And yes, it may seem silly (first world problems anyone?) but I need some advice and who better to give it than an internet forum. ;-)  (In truth, I just want as much input as possible as  my boyfriend/family know nothing about grad school so you guys might have a better idea). So without further ado, HELP ME!

So I'm stuck between a few different options (all of them in Ottawa). I turned down Osgoode law school and Queen's joint law-MPA program last week since I decided that I wanted to live in Ottawa. My current choices:

- U of O joint law program with NPSIA (the catch is that I haven't yet been accepted into U of O law) - the positives are that it seems like a fantastic program where you get to learn both the law and policy side which I'm interested, the negatives are that it will take me 4 years and a lot of money, obviously, this is not really an option until I'm accepted but I'm still keeping it on this list

- NPSIA - currently I'm accepted into the joint program which means my acceptance to NPSIA is for Fall 2014, not Fall 2013. Tabbatha has told me that based on my qualifications I will be admitted to the Fall 2013 for the Master's if I'm not accepted into the law school. However, they have not assessed me for funding since funding is assessed for each year and I was not slated to start until the following year. Essentially, if I don't get into law school, I'd be going to NPSIA without any funding.

- GSPIA - I just got the letter today and I got full funding! This makes my decision more difficult as NPSIA was always my top choice but I think GSPIA is also a great option and with that big of difference in funding, I'm not sure I can pass it up. 

What would you do? What do you think I should do?  I'm from Alberta, currently living in Vancouver and the only thing I currently know is that next fall I'll be studying in Ottawa. I just don't know what! Any help/insight/guidance any of you can give would much appreciated.

TLDR: Study at NPSIA with no funding or GSPIA with full funding? 

For the people that got accepted into GSPIA and are interested in attending please accept your offers and inform the other schools so that the ones like us on the waiting list can be accepted! Congratulations to those that have been accepted thus far!  B)

21 days after you receive the official letter, I believe. So pretty soon.

Thank you! I guess in that case for the people who are on the waiting list it won't be until may when they hear about their status! 

For the people that got accepted into GSPIA and are interested in attending please accept your offers and inform the other schools so that the ones like us on the waiting list can be accepted! Congratulations to those that have been accepted thus far!  B)

I am still waiting to hear back from U Ottawa for law school. Once I hear back from them, I can make an informed decision about whether I want to do the joint law-NPSIA program or go to GSPIA for my Masters. As of yet, I can't turn down NPSIA because I don't know if I'm accepted into law school. As a note: I'd already paid my confirmation to NPSIA before I heard from GSPIA. 

Anyway, I'll post here once I accept or decline NPSIA!  

Good luck!

When are the people who received first round from NPSIA offers expected to confirm or decline their offers?

Do you know if the committee will be having a second meeting to determine the second round acceptances, or if they will admit people on a rolling basis as they hear from first round applicants?

Do you know if the committee will be having a second meeting to determine the second round acceptances, or if they will admit people on a rolling basis as they hear from first round applicants?

Spoke to the Graduate Program Administrator Tabbatha last week she said perhaps by the end of the month as it seems to be the time when most people will be either confirming or declining their offers. They will not be accepting people as spots open up but rather continue to monitor their numbers and do a full second round of offers end of april or beginning of may. 

To the waitlisters: I've officially declined my offer from NPSIA.  Hope one of you gets in! :)

To the waitlisters: I've officially declined my offer from NPSIA.  Hope one of you gets in! :)

Thank you! now let's just hope they wake up and start sending offers.  :rolleyes:

Hey Guys,

So I still haven't heard from Ottawa law but I decided I want to do my Master's first so I emailed NPSIA to see if they could change me to the regular MA and they did! And offered me funding :-D  So I have officially accepted their offer and will be declining GSPIA later today.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting, I hope I get to see you in the fall!

I received this email yesterday from Tabatha!

Dear Applicant,

Your application to the MA in International Affairs program has been held for second round.  We will be re-evaluating your application in the next few weeks and will make our final decision by early to mid- May. 

I'm hoping I find out sooner than later! :(

same here! 

I received this email yesterday from Tabatha!

Dear Applicant,

Your application to the MA in International Affairs program has been held for second round.  We will be re-evaluating your application in the next few weeks and will make our final decision by early to mid- May. 

I'm hoping I find out sooner than later! :(

Did you apply to any other MA programs?

same here! 

Did you apply to any other MA programs?

I did! I applied to the Balsillie School of International Affairs (Waterloo/ Laurier) for their Masters in Public Policy. I was accepted with a fellowship and a scholarship but I am certain NPSIA's offer (if any) may not be as generous but, it is a better ranked school. But altleast I have something to fall back on. How about you?

Hello all,

I'm looking to apply to NPSIA next year for the Intelligence and National Security cluster and I was wondering if any of you could provide some advice on the application process. Are most of you applying right out of your undergraduate degree or, given the competition, is it advisable to have worked for a year or two before?

I did! I applied to the Balsillie School of International Affairs (Waterloo/ Laurier) for their Masters in Public Policy. I was accepted with a fellowship and a scholarship but I am certain NPSIA's offer (if any) may not be as generous but, it is a better ranked school. But altleast I have something to fall back on. How about you?

No I only applied to NPSIA as i believe that this is the only program a specific cluster that can offer me what i am looking to do. If I don't get in then back to undergrad and take an additional year of courses one more degree on the belt and reapply. Did you receive an email yesterday about your status?

No I only applied to NPSIA as i believe that this is the only program a specific cluster that can offer me what i am looking to do. If I don't get in then back to undergrad and take an additional year of courses one more degree on the belt and reapply. Did you receive an email yesterday about your status?

That is a good idea. I applied to UofT mipp 2 years ago and I was waitlisted and didn't get in. So I went back and did another undergrad and boosted my GPA. I did receive an email yesterday basically saying that my application is still on hold and final decision is forthcoming. A friend of mine who also applied to NPSIA received a similar automated email but it was a rejection. So I still have hope!

That is a good idea. I applied to UofT mipp 2 years ago and I was waitlisted and didn't get in. So I went back and did another undergrad and boosted my GPA. I did receive an email yesterday basically saying that my application is still on hold and final decision is forthcoming. A friend of mine who also applied to NPSIA received a similar automated email but it was a rejection. So I still have hope!

Spoke to Tabbatha, this morning and it seems that all spots are now full. If a spot was to become available they would let us know in late August. This can be simply mean that there is a very slim chance and from my experience of speaking to people in the past, this has only happened on a rare occasion. Its good that you applied to Balsille and got accepted at least you have an option. 

Spoke to Tabbatha, this morning and it seems that all spots are now full. If a spot was to become available they would let us know in late August. This can be simply mean that there is a very slim chance and from my experience of speaking to people in the past, this has only happened on a rare occasion. Its good that you applied to Balsille and got accepted at least you have an option. 

So there will be no second round of offers?

So there will be no second round of offers?

It seems like it will be dependent upon how many people end up cancelling their offers.. historically according to Tabbatha there are no guarantees if any spots will become available. Sometime it has happened where ten people have bailed and there have been times when all have continued on with no spots opening up for second round of offers. 

Hello all,

I'm looking to apply to NPSIA next year for the Intelligence and National Security cluster and I was wondering if any of you could provide some advice on the application process. Are most of you applying right out of your undergraduate degree or, given the competition, is it advisable to have worked for a year or two before?

My general impression, based on nothing but my own observations, is that it is possible to get admitted with little work experience if you have exceptional grades. If you feel your application is superior in all aspects besides work experience, I think it's worth a shot to apply. Worst case you lose $100 on the application, you get some work experience, and you apply again later. 

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on these boards for a while trying to find out more information about Grad schools, and specifically Masters in International Affairs programs such as NPSIA, GPSIA and Public Policy programs.

I'm going into my final year at UWO, GPA of 3.35gpa (3.4 in 3rd year), am working this summer with the government at hearings & appeals, have volunteered abroad in the past but don't really have any good extracurricular experience in University (clubs & exec position wise)

I've heard some positive and not-so positive (the post above) about my chances with NPSIA. I'm assuming ~ 3.4 GPA once again for my 4th year, but I wanted to hear some opinions specific to me.  It seems to me that I could get into GPSIA quite realistically, something that I would be really happy with, but I think we all know that NPSIA is still the #1 school for ultimately getting into DFAIT and working abroad.

Thanks for reading, any comments and/or application tips would be much appreciated! Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area btw, I did a few searches and couldent find a more suitable topic (most are american it seems)

• 9 months later...