NPSIA Fall 2013 Applicants

kdav

Just got my official letter today as well!  Got some funding.  Does anyone know what the average scholarship is?

And also, has anyone received a TAship? Or what the opportunities are like to get a RAship?

Congrats on the letter and funding! Not sure what the scholarship average is.

No TAing for me - unfortunately in business (my field pre-NPSIA), undergrads TA the undergrads and PhDs TA the masters students. TA opportunities will vary depending on what your background is, as they have to need TAs in that department for it to work. I don't know how big RAing is in the field... They weren't mentioned on the website.

Although I'm not much more use than that for the program until all of us get more details, I have a fair bit of experience in Ottawa, so if anyone has questions, feel free to let get in touch and I'll try to answer as best I can! :)

Just came across this forum, the information is great. I'm in the same boat as Nicole, My status has said "Review in Progress by Department" for at least three weeks now with no change. I also have nothing listed under "specialization". That's really good new though if we are going to hear by the end of the month, the waiting is killing me!!

Please post any updates, maybe it'll help settle my nerves a bit :)

I am really hoping that I get the details of my acceptance sometime within the next 24 hours....   

I think that I may be more anxious now than before I had heard anything!  :blink:

Also, did everyone who has been accepted apply to do a thesis?

Did any of you apply for just the coursework option?

I spoke to someone there, and also researched online. You only choose between a thesis, coursework and a research paper by submitting a written form by early February of your first year of your Master's degree. One must also maintain an A- average if one wishes to undertake the thesis route.

Here is the breakdown:

-5.0 credits required to graduate

-1.0 mandatory credits, includes intro course and an economics course based on your choosen cluster.

-Then one chooses between a thesis (2.0 credits), a research paper (1.0), or just full course work (4.0).

-From the remaining credits for course work, one can choose 1.5 of those credits outside your own cluster, from, say, history or political science.

Hope this helps and good luck :).

-CC

P.S.

Personally, if you're interested, I'm aiming for the thesis as I would like to do my PhD afterwards :).

Edited by Cybercollector

I spoke to someone there, and also researched online. You only choose between a thesis, coursework and a research paper by submitting a written form by early February of your first year of your Master's degree. One must also maintain an A- average if one wishes to undertake the thesis route.

Here is the breakdown:

-5.0 credits required to graduate

-1.0 mandatory credits, includes intro course and an economics course based on your choosen cluster.

-Then one chooses between a thesis (2.0 credits), a research paper (1.0), or just full course work (4.0).

-From the remaining credits for course work, one can choose 1.5 of those credits outside your own cluster, from, say, history or political science.

Hope this helps and good luck :).

-CC

P.S.

Personally, if you're interested, I'm aiming for the thesis as I would like to do my PhD afterwards :).

Thanks for the information! When we filled out the form for Fall 2013 applications it did ask what your plan was (in regards to these three options), but this makes a lot more sense.

Good luck with getting the thesis route :)

Glad I'm not the only one. I'll let you know when I hear something!

Just came across this forum, the information is great. I'm in the same boat as Nicole, My status has said "Review in Progress by Department" for at least three weeks now with no change. I also have nothing listed under "specialization". That's really good new though if we are going to hear by the end of the month, the waiting is killing me!!

Please post any updates, maybe it'll help settle my nerves a bit :)

My application status hasn't changed from "Review in Progress by Department," and I have no specialization listed.  I emailed Tabbatha several business days ago, but I am giving up hope of receiving a reply by now.  

I am honestly a little disappointed that no other information has be provided by the school, even to say that they are still considering our applications, or that we have been waitlisted.  I understand that they are busy, but it really is not too much to ask for an update, especially since the applications were submitted in late January. 

I'll keep you guys updated if she emails me or if something changes on Carleton central, and I hope you guys will do the same.

Good luck for those still waiting to hear (and congrats to those who have been accepted)!

Glad I'm not the only one. I'll let you know when I hear something!

Edited by jkh26

My application status hasn't changed from "Review in Progress by Department," and I have no specialization listed.  I emailed Tabbatha several business days ago, but I am giving up hope of receiving a reply by now.  

I am honestly a little disappointed that no other information has be provided by the school, even to say that they are still considering our applications, or that we have been waitlisted.  I understand that they are busy, but it really is not too much to ask for an update, especially since the applications were submitted in late January. 

I'll keep you guys updated if she emails me or if something changes on Carleton central, and I hope you guys will do the same.

Good luck for those still waiting to hear (and congrats to those who have been accepted)!

I'm also still waiting. I emailed Tabbatha but haven't heard a response. I need to take Econ this summer if I'm accepted and the enrollment for my university for summer classes is in it's third week and they are filing up! It would be nice to know where we stand at least. :-(

I'll keep you posted if I hear a response from her! Good luck all!

Just checked and sometime this afternoon my status changed from Recommended for Assessment to Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs.

I hope this is a good sign and that I will hear something soon! I was going to pay my deposit tomorrow from my Queen's JD-MPA acceptance but maybe I should wait one more day....

Does that mean they're making you take it again?

I'm still waiting on an Email back from Tabbatha to clarify. 

I'm hoping they'll waive it considering it does not say anywhere in the requirements that we needed a specific grade, if not I'm going to have quite the dilemma on my hands. 

I would need to take econ as well, so I'm also waiting anxiously  :wacko:

I'm also still waiting. I emailed Tabbatha but haven't heard a response. I need to take Econ this summer if I'm accepted and the enrollment for my university for summer classes is in it's third week and they are filing up! It would be nice to know where we stand at least. :-(

I'll keep you posted if I hear a response from her! Good luck all!

I would need to take econ as well, so I'm also waiting anxiously  :wacko:

I'm just annoyed that I took it 4 years ago and now I may have to relive the nightmare. 

I'm just annoyed that I took it 4 years ago and now I may have to relive the nightmare. 

It's probably worthwhile to review the concepts anyway. Presumably you'll need that knowledge to get through your grad econ course.

It's probably worthwhile to review the concepts anyway. Presumably you'll need that knowledge to get through your grad econ course.

True. Just not a fan of paying for the same credits twice haha. 

Hey guys! After weeks of being "review in progress by department" my status just changed to "recommended for assessment"- probably happened sometime between 3pm and now!!!! Very happy to finally see a change, whether for good or bad at this point haha.

If you don't hear anything from them via e-mail, I found the phone very useful for inquiries. Sometimes it's hard to reach someone, especially Tabbatha, but if you call around the services for NPSIA or the graduate school, you eventually land someone with the answers.

I have an appointment to talk with someone regarding Leeds residence, so if anybody else plans to go live there and has questions, I'll try to include them :).

Also, regarding Econ, it's been a while for me as well. I find the "for dummies" book very useful if you're trying to refresh your memory. Don't let the "dummies" aspect fool you, it's well done!

Congrats again for those who just got the news for admissions and I hope it goes well for those who got an update! :)

-CC

Edited by Cybercollector