Anyone Going to the SBL/AAR Great Plains Regional Conf.?

toby42

I'm going to make SBL/AAR bingo cards next year.

"Overdressed prospective grad student wearing a three-piece suit, praying to the gods that a POI will notice him"
"Junior Scholar jockeying for position"

"Senior Scholar looking bored during a meeting with a prospective grad student"

"Prospective grad student loitering awkwardly at a school's reception, praying to the gods that a POI will notice him"

"Current grad student hitting on (and getting shut down by) the Baylor University Press girls"

"NT Wright being waylaid in between sessions by adoring fans (FREE SPACE)"

These may seem oddly specific but I swear, if I'd had them at last year's meeting I would have won SBL/AAR bingo on day frigging one.

I'll be in Baltimore this fall for the national conference, for whatever that's worth at this point.

I plan to be at Baltimore as well. My research cohort has a panel presentation on our study of "the nones".

I'm going to make SBL/AAR bingo cards next year.

"Overdressed prospective grad student wearing a three-piece suit, praying to the gods that a POI will notice him"

"Junior Scholar jockeying for position"

"Senior Scholar looking bored during a meeting with a prospective grad student"

"Prospective grad student loitering awkwardly at a school's reception, praying to the gods that a POI will notice him"

"Current grad student hitting on (and getting shut down by) the Baylor University Press girls"

"NT Wright being waylaid in between sessions by adoring fans (FREE SPACE)"

These may seem oddly specific but I swear, if I'd had them at last year's meeting I would have won SBL/AAR bingo on day frigging one.

LOL, so... I was kind of #1 and also #6 last year. Except I wasn't actually wearing a three piece suit, and I caught NT Wright randomly after he stopped in to a group that he wasn't in the program for, and thus wasn't being waylaid. We actually walked most of the way to our next sessions together. It was actually one of the highlights of the conference for me!

Any SECSOR SBL/AAR folks?

The affirmative to your question is, of course, sex or what?

I'll be in Baltimore this fall for the national conference, for whatever that's worth at this point.

Same! Atlanta and the bay were fun, but chi-town last year was a blast!

I hope to do the same... couldn't make for the ntl. this year, but am striving for next.

(...it'll be a lot easier if I'm living in South Bend at the time instead of Colorado.  ;)  )

Edited by toby42

• 3 weeks later...

Totally worth it. If you plan to persue a PhD or engage the scholarship in the field, the networking opportunities found at a conference are a must.

Will be entering an MDiv program in the fall, but one of my academic interests in Biblical scholarship. Worth it to join and go ahead and plan to attend the national conf. in Baltimore in Nov.? Or pointless until I have some knowledge under me?

If you live near the Baltimore conference and it happens to be convenient to attend, go for it. If not, I'd use your first semester to get the hang of the program. MDivs are three years, right? You have plenty of time to go to SBL.

I really think so. SBL/AAR was an excellent opportunity to meet with POI's this year, and I think it may have significantly assisted me in getting into two of my programs. Secondly, as a member of SBL, I was able to submit a proposal to the regional SBL conference in Greenville, SC. Having the opportunity to present and get feedback from scholars active in the field has bee immensely helpful for my own development. Also, being a student member gives you great deals on regional and national meeting registration costs and looks just fine on a CV.