USC MSW Priority Deadline App 13'

AyaT

I submitted my USC application on Jan 8th (a week before the priority deadline) and I still haven't heard back from them. Is anyone else (who applied before or on Jan 15) still waiting for the admission decision? Also, I called the School of Social Work admission office today and the lady told me that my application is under "Second" faculty review (passed the initial review). Is this good or bad? I know that some people already got accepted, and I'm wondering why my application is still under second review and taking so long. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

I submitted my app on Jan 11 and I received my acceptance on March 15th. Hopefully you will hear back this week! I never called to inquire about my status, but I would say that your second faculty review is a good thing? 

Good luck Bradley! Yes, let's hope that we both get in! The lady also said most of the applicants should hear back by end of next week. I don't know how accurate her info was...

I submitted my USC application on Jan 8th (a week before the priority deadline) and I still haven't heard back from them. Is anyone else (who applied before or on Jan 15) still waiting for the admission decision? Also, I called the School of Social Work admission office today and the lady told me that my application is under "Second" faculty review (passed the initial review). Is this good or bad? I know that some people already got accepted, and I'm wondering why my application is still under second review and taking so long. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

I was told that if your application is reviewed by a "Second" faculty review member/s it means that they had some unanswered questions, and what to get some sort of second opinion on their decision. 

Adri, what do you mean by "unanswered questions"? Do you mean that: I didn't answer all the questions? Or the faculty members who are reviewing my application have some questions about my qualifications and had to get a second opinion? I really hope that the second faculty review isn't a bad thing.

Doesn't USC also tend to receive a lot more applicants than most social work schools? That could be why it's taking so long to review everything. I wouldn't worry too much since several of us haven't heard back yet. The school also isn't that difficult to get into when you consider about half of the applicants are accepted. Bradley you sound like a definite shoe-in.

Sending positive vibes to all applicants who are awaiting decisions!

Adri, what do you mean by "unanswered questions"? Do you mean that: I didn't answer all the questions? Or the faculty members who are reviewing my application have some questions about my qualifications and had to get a second opinion? I really hope that the second faculty review isn't a bad thing.

Sorry If I wasn't clear, I meant to write questions regarding your qualifications. I applied to their Orange County Campus and their recruiter told me about their second review board process. 

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I think they get roughly 1200 apps. Some other schools receive something in the same range. I know Michigan is up there, and I recently applied there as well. So I'm just waiting this thing out. At this point I'm leaning more toward Mich if I have a choice, but it'll probably be April til I hear from them.

Congrats on Berkeley, that is awesome. Might be the toughest msw program to get into in the country. Have you made a decision yet?

Thank you. I'm excited that I have the option to choose! No decision yet. However, it's pretty clear from almost everywhere that Berkeley isn't necessarily the best place for students interested in clinical. If I don't go to Berkeley for my MSW, I can always apply for the post-MSW fellowship, which is all clinical.

Did you get it in at Mich? What's making you lean more towards Mich rather than USC?

I just passed the 8 week mark since my application was submitted. Everything's completed/received--I have checked with my admissions advisor about ten times now. "Still processing......." is the only thing I get.

I was starting to feel like I was the only one STILL waiting.

I know a bunch of people have been accepted, but has anyone been officially rejected yet?

According to the results search they've accepted people as late as June, so I haven't given up hope or anything yet, but I can't imagine waiting that long! The June one has got to be off the waiting list, but still!

Jbean, me too. I already know a bunch of people who have been accepted but not rejected. That's why I'm getting worried. I can't help but to think that they're saving to send out the rejection letters till last and maybe that's why its taking this long?I really hope that's not the case. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though because its the only school I applied to. Hope everyone else hears back by this Friday.

Harmonymisc, do you usually call the general social work admission office and talk to the first person that answers the call? Or do you specifically talk to someone in particular?

I call/email my admissions advisor. I applied to VAC, so I'm not sure how different online vs on campus admissions are. I applied 8 1/2 weeks ago though, so either way it just seems like a long time.

I seriously hope that they're just lagging... I really don't wanna wait another year.

Bradley, congrats on your first Master's. What program is it? :)

I had my admissions advisor call and ask me to write an additional "brief" statement explaining some grade deficiencies from 5 years back--maybe that's what they mean when they say "second review?" But that was two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything else. Irritating....

HarmonyMisc, they haven't contacted me yet at all. But I've noticed that they send out acceptance emails on Fridays. That seems to be the trend. So hopefully,we'll hear back by today. And about the second review, I really don't know because the lady I spoke to said that "everyone" goes through the second faculty review, but I guess at different times. So maybe they're just lagging on ours? Either way, good luck to you and the rest of us. I better hear something by the end of today!! If I don't, I might need to start thinking of a back up plan because that was the only school I applied to.

I just got an email from USC office of admission (after finding out that my bird died)... I got in!!!! Weird emotion right now because today is also my twin sister's 6th year memorial...