Los Angeles, CA

Guest ucla

Yeah, I just did google search on it and then came back to change mypost and you had replied.

The Expo Line will bring more transportation options to Westside communities traditionally underserved by public transit and who experience some of the worst traffic congestion in the nation. Phase 1 of the Expo Line, between downtown Los Angeles and Culver City, is 88% complete and expected to partially open later this year. Pre-construction work and utility relocation on Phase 2 is expected to begin later this year, with service to Santa Monica scheduled to start in 2015.

WOnt help me for this coming year but maybe 2012.

Yeah, I just did google search on it and then came back to change mypost and you had replied.

The Expo Line will bring more transportation options to Westside communities traditionally underserved by public transit and who experience some of the worst traffic congestion in the nation. Phase 1 of the Expo Line, between downtown Los Angeles and Culver City, is 88% complete and expected to partially open later this year. Pre-construction work and utility relocation on Phase 2 is expected to begin later this year, with service to Santa Monica scheduled to start in 2015.

WOnt help me for this coming year but maybe 2012.

Can anybody tell me more info about the grad housing in the University Regent building?-It's the housing I was most interested in. It's located on West 27th street in the USC area near by Hoover Street + Jefferson. What is the neighborhood/area like?--is it safe? I know friends have told me the whole USC area (main-campus + off-campus housing) is very safe--except the outside areas (Compton is like 13-14 miles away). Any insight to the building or the area?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody tell me more info about the grad housing in the University Regent building?-It's the housing I was most interested in. It's located on West 27th street in the USC area near by Hoover Street + Jefferson. What is the neighborhood/area like?--is it safe? I know friends have told me the whole USC area (main-campus + off-campus housing) is very safe--except the outside areas (Compton is like 13-14 miles away). Any insight to the building or the area?

Thanks!

The general safety rule for USC is that North and West of campus are fine. Hoover and Jefferson is definitely fine. University housing will all be safe, and serviced by campus security.In general, as long as you are smart around campus, you will be fine. I lived on and around campus for four years, and I never felt unsafe.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this post is kinda dead

Well

Me and my fiance are going to start our masters at USC this fall, electrical engineering and architecture respectively. Ideally we are looking to another couple who would like to split up a 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom apartment close to USC (no more than 25 minute commute in bus)

If this sounds like something you would be up for ( it could be a single person too, or if you want to share your room) shoot us an email at rpere045@gmail.com and tell us a bit about yourself. We are very clean, open minded, laid back people The only thing we dont want are smokers.

Rose

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone, I got an admit from a university at Los Angeles; they offered 23k for 5 years...I'm trying to figure out whether this money is enough for living comfortably in LA...

PS. I'm thinking about a modest life (cooking most of the time, going out maybe once a week, etc.)

all comments& thoughts appreciated! :)

Edited by aliko54

I recommend you search the "City Guide" on these fora. You don't mention which school; there are separate threads for USC, UCLA, Pasadena, and (I think) Long Beach.

Cooking will save you funds, but the big money-savers are 1) sharing a place with roommate(s), and 2) utilizing public transport and not having a car. Start checking out craigslist ads just to get a sense of geography and market price. Then frame a budget. This is generally a good idea, no matter what the city.

You'll hear plenty of alarmist "the cost of EVERYTHING in California is SOO HIGH!" Don't believe it - if you take advantage of student discounts, amenities at your university, and shop around, you'll find plenty of goods/services at prices comparable to the rest of the US. But California rent and car expenses are non-negotiables.

Congrats on your admit! B)

thank you for this! I found a really helpful thread on L.A there...So far I got accepted by two programs which are located in cities as different as it gets: LA and Buffalo NY :) Trying to figure out which one would be a better place to live :)

Edited by aliko54

Los Angeles rent is a huge killer on the budget, depending on the neighborhood you're looking at. The benefits of a car= you live further out and spend less on rent. But then you eat up gas killing hours a week in traffic and suddenly it doesn't seem worth it...

I agree with mandarin that the "high cost" of LA is greatly exaggerated in some respects (food here doesn't cost dramatically different), but rent prices are not exaggerated. Think $1800 for a studio apartment if you're looking for a neighborhood where everyone does not have bars on their windows. $1500 for a studio is the rent controlled "affordable housing" price in those kinds of areas. But whole neighborhoods around UCLA are student apartments and those can be affordable when split with roommates.

Think $1800 for a studio apartment if you're looking for a neighborhood where everyone does not have bars on their windows. $1500 for a studio is the rent controlled "affordable housing" price in those kinds of areas.

I think that's exaggerated. $800-1000 is definitely doable with roommates. $1200 will net a studio on Venice Blvd, Sepulveda, etc....they are not bad. But, we still don't know the OP's campus in question.

Again, until you can visit, do the legwork online to read up on neighborhoods and get a feel for prices. A student lifestyle on 23K/year is totally reasonable.

:) thanks guys, the admit is from USC..I want to go to the States with my current girlfriend (prospective wife)..She needs to get fluent in English in the first months, and may not work so our budget can be tight in the beginning...she's an engineer, so we hope, eventually, she'll find a job in the industry...

HI all,

I live in LA and my SO goes to USC, so I have some insight to share. First off, congrats!

Eternal Icicle is exaggerating the prices of housing... mostly. I live in a 1bdrm in a very hip and desirable area (N. and E. of the city proper) and we pay $1250 for a large 1 bdrm apartment with gated parking included. I think it's a killer deal, but you can easily get a 1bdrm for $1400 in many good areas. Studios are more like 1000 depending on the area. The sales tax is high here, but food and entertainment are mostly cheep. Every restraunt has a special happy hour night/menu and there are lots of ethnic markets where you can get bulk grains/spices/etc. For entertainment, look no further than the beach. If you want to get really fancy, go to the getty center or villa -- $15 to park your car and enjoy the art and grounds all day long -- or take a scenic drive to get awesome boba, pho, tapas, or crepes!

But yes, a car is pretty mandatory. It's a great place to live!

I am considering UCLA to do my PhD and was invited to attend the UCLA recruitment days, which I cannot attend due to having to go to another visit. But I was curious to get some impressions from anyone familiar with Westwood and the greater LA area. I'm from Northern California, but haven't been south of Monterrey for years; although my memories were not particularly positive, but Nor Cal folks have kind of a bias against the region as a whole, so more rounded insights would be appreciated. I currently live in the SF Bay Area, and love the (manageable) metropolitan feel, the cultural and political centrality, and general ambiance here, but of course am open to new experiences; 6-7 years is a big commitment though. Thanks!

I've also been looking for places to live in LA, and at least with regard to crime, I've found the LA Times website super helpful in constructing a very informative profile of the areas and neighborhoods of Los Angeles.

Check it out

http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for this! I found a really helpful thread on L.A there...So far I got accepted by two programs which are located in cities as different as it gets: LA and Buffalo NY :) Trying to figure out which one would be a better place to live :)

I went to school in Ithaca and visited Buffalo frequently. Out of upstate cities, Buffalo is best but it is COLD. In Ithaca we had several days below zero with negative 30 windchill and Buff had several more days like that. If you were choosing between Rochester, Binghamton, or Buffalo I would say Buff but run to LA if you can! Congrats!

I got into UCLA, and my SO will probably get into to USC med school. I know these two places are far apart and that USC med center is in the ghetto. We only have one car, so ideally one of us would drive and the other would walk/public transit. Does anyone have any idea where we could live? If we lived on the westside, how bad would my SO's commute to USC med center be?

I've accepted USC's offer, and will be moving to LA from a different state. I'm looking for a long-term roommate (approx 4 years), male and female are both fine, my only request is that you are a non-smoker. I have 2 small dogs and a cat who are very friendly and loving, and I have a car if you'd like to carpool. I haven't found a place yet, but I'm open to searching with you (I've been recommended neighborhoods like Culver City, Silverlake or Los Feliz) for an apartment or house to rent.

PM me please if you're interested? :)

hitomimay -- I really like living in the Los Feliz/Silverlake areas, but Culver is a good option too, and if you like more urban areas, there are a couple of areas closer in to USC that are OK as well, but they tend to be more expensive high-rises. Good luck on the roomate search and congrats! You're going to love it!

In other news, my visit to Irvine this weekend was WONDERFUL! It's heaven down there and they had all of the right answers to the questions I asked. I'm really pleased that I'll probably be going there in the fall! I'm waiting to formally accept though, because I hear that they will match funding if I happen to get a better offer from another school. :)

• 2 weeks later...

HEY LA!!

where do art mfa grads live??

is there an area of town that has more green space (ie outside cat friendly) that is still relatively close/affordable-ish?

what's it like going from campus to culver city studios?

is living in silverlake/echo park totally an insane idea re: commute ?

would riding a motorcycle make travel quicker or just more dangerous?

feedback totally appreciated!

thanksthanksthanks

I am considering UCLA to do my PhD and was invited to attend the UCLA recruitment days, which I cannot attend due to having to go to another visit. But I was curious to get some impressions from anyone familiar with Westwood and the greater LA area. I'm from Northern California, but haven't been south of Monterrey for years; although my memories were not particularly positive, but Nor Cal folks have kind of a bias against the region as a whole, so more rounded insights would be appreciated. I currently live in the SF Bay Area, and love the (manageable) metropolitan feel, the cultural and political centrality, and general ambiance here, but of course am open to new experiences; 6-7 years is a big commitment though. Thanks!

As a native Angeleno who went to Cal as an undergraduate, I quickly came to the conclusion that folks in the Bay Area spend more time thinking about their neighbors down south than we do about them.

The ambiance in the L.A. area (and I'm including adjacent cites like Culver City and Santa Monica) will depend upon where you are. It will be very difficult for you to replicate the cosmpolitan feel of SF because L.A. sprawls like it is no body's business. There are some pockets that have a nice cosmoplitian feel--like downtown L.A.--but living in those areas may prove cost prohibitive. (The great crash of 2008 threw a bucket of ice water on a lot of local redevelopment projects that emphasized mixed-use development.)

Overall, do not count on as positive experience with the mass transit system as you are used to. The LAMTA is getting much better and mobile apps are helping, but we've still got a long ways to go. If you do your research, you can find a place to live in L.A that won't require everyday use of a car. But don't be surprised if you get sidelong looks if you don't own a car. (Down here, it is no big deal for three friends going from from point A to point B to take three different cars.)

From an everyday life point of view, it is likely you'll feel much less 'connectivity' with people than what you experience up north. People down here are used to doing their own thing and you may have a hard time meeting new people and making new friends. (People from the midwest find this dynamic exceptionally jarring.) On the other hand, anonimity has features and benefits.

Also, keep in mind that it gets much hotter down here than it does in the SF bay area, especially in the San Ferndando and San Gabriel Valleys. If you don't like the heat, do your research carefully and/or budget for massive energy bills during the summer and fall.

As for Westwood, I don't know that it will appeal to you. The younger people in that area will have more in common with Charlie Sheen than Charlie Mingus.

I've accepted USC's offer, and will be moving to LA from a different state. I'm looking for a long-term roommate (approx 4 years), male and female are both fine, my only request is that you are a non-smoker. I have 2 small dogs and a cat who are very friendly and loving, and I have a car if you'd like to carpool. I haven't found a place yet, but I'm open to searching with you (I've been recommended neighborhoods like Culver City, Silverlake or Los Feliz) for an apartment or house to rent.

PM me please if you're interested? :)

gah! If only I didn't ALSO have cats that need to come with me! Too many pets in one household.... I've also accepted USC's offer for grad school and am looking for a roommate. Girl or guy is fine. I do have a car for carpooling/groceries/etc. I have 3 cats. I haven't found a place yet, but I would be open to looking with someone if anyone is interested. Any suggestions as to the best websites to look for housing near USC?

@ joh03067 -- You'll have to wait until closer into the actual move date (the do a 2 month menbership for $60), but I HIGHLY reccomend westsiderentals.com. They pretty much have the west side on lockdown. I used them and craigslist when I was househunting and I think they complemented each other nicely. I looked at 30+ apartments my first week and had a lease signed wwithin 7 days of arriving in town. It can be dome! :)

You should also ask people in your incoming cohort and peopel in cohorts above you.