Jump to content
Guest ucla

Los Angeles, CA

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, lordtiandao said:

It depends on how much one is planning on driving in LA and to where. 

This qualifier gets in the way of your point that everyone in Los Angeles needs a car, a generalization that was overly broad.

https://exchange.aaa.com/automotive/driving-costs/#.W4RGv-hKi70

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sigaba said:

This qualifier gets in the way of your point that everyone in Los Angeles needs a car, a generalization that was overly broad.

https://exchange.aaa.com/automotive/driving-costs/#.W4RGv-hKi70

 

Fair enough. I’ve modified my assertion now. I would recommend people get a car at some point of their stay in LA, but it’s not absolutely necessary. It very much depends on the individual situation.

Edited by lordtiandao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2018 at 6:14 PM, lordtiandao said:

@Stella_***

Try using Meetup to find groups you are interested in. That's probably one of the easier ways to meet new people. You can also try to take or audit classes in other LA-area schools and meet people from there. I'm over at UCLA doing Chinese history so you're always welcome to hang out here.

Thank you for the advice! It's so cool you're doing Chinese history! My research focus is on comparative modernisms in Germany and China :)  I was planning on meeting with a few professors over at UCLA so I'd love to hang out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking to move to Los Angeles in early August but have no clue where to look! Anybody have any suggestions? I'm totally fine with roommates and don't really have many requirements except that my bedroom door has a lock on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
6 hours ago, FutureEdPHD said:

Looking to move to Los Angeles in early August but have no clue where to look! Anybody have any suggestions? I'm totally fine with roommates and don't really have many requirements except that my bedroom door has a lock on it.

One main factor to consider: will you have a car?

LA is massive, are you looking at places near USC? If you live in say Venice, it will be a pretty long commute to USC, no matter what form of transportation you use. Where do you need to be close to? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, trollsloot said:

One main factor to consider: will you have a car?

LA is massive, are you looking at places near USC? If you live in say Venice, it will be a pretty long commute to USC, no matter what form of transportation you use. Where do you need to be close to? 

Yes I'm bringing my car because I figured that I would need it. I'm looking to be close-ish to USC but also open to other areas depending on how far. It looks like I'll have class Monday-Thursday and I'm also working on campus so I'll need to be near there most of the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FutureEdPHD said:

Yes I'm bringing my car because I figured that I would need it. I'm looking to be close-ish to USC but also open to other areas depending on how far. It looks like I'll have class Monday-Thursday and I'm also working on campus so I'll need to be near there most of the time. 

USC has graduate housing, look into that. As for decent areas around USC look at Echo Park, West Adams, Silverlake, maybe Koreatown and Culver City. It also really depends on how much you can afford to pay a month/how long of a commute you can handle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are the Weyburn Terrace Apartments. How big is the studio apartment there. I recently got an offer in one of the studio apartments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, arkabh said:

How are the Weyburn Terrace Apartments. How big is the studio apartment there. I recently got an offer in one of the studio apartments.

https://housing.ucla.edu/student-housing/graduate-students-and-students-with-families/single-graduate-students/weyburn-terrace-apartments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2019 at 1:25 AM, arkabh said:

How are the Weyburn Terrace Apartments. How big is the studio apartment there. I recently got an offer in one of the studio apartments.

I live in a studio in Weyburn (Paseo, the new building) and it's smallish but very nice. It comes pre-furnished which is a great thing especially if you're moving from out of state. That being said, it's fairly expensive. I've lived there for a year and will be continuing to live in the same apartment for my second year, and then plan to find another place probably in brentwood or santa monica or culver city for the rest of my program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know anything about the CSU LA area and whether or not grad student housing is a sensible choice? I'm going to have to make my admissions decision and start working on moving ASAP (unless I defer bc of COVID). I'm not used to living in that large of a city and I've always benefited from rock bottom midwest living expenses, so I know it's going to be a bit of an adjustment! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Anyone know anything about the CSU LA area and whether or not grad student housing is a sensible choice? I'm going to have to make my admissions decision and start working on moving ASAP (unless I defer bc of COVID). I'm not used to living in that large of a city and I've always benefited from rock bottom midwest living expenses, so I know it's going to be a bit of an adjustment! 

The cost differences will be breath taking but you will likely find that the greater L.A. area is not as dense as you expect. There are small communities to the north and east of CS Los Angeles that will feel breezy and sleepy as often as not.

Adjacent to CS L.A. is a significant metro stop served by a commuter train and multiple municipal bus services. If you're  willing to trade money spent on rent to time spent on trains/buses, you can broaden your housing options considerably.

Please do keep in mind that there are going to be mutually beneficial opportunities for housing after COVID-19. Renters and home owners will be looking for room/house mates. Now is as good a time as any to take stock of your strengths as a house mate, your list of deal breakers, and your thoughts on interpersonal skills you'd like to develop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.