Los Angeles, CA

Guest ucla

1 hour ago, lordtiandao said:

It depends on how much one is planning on driving in LA and to where. 

This qualifier gets in the way of your point that everyone in Los Angeles needs a car, a generalization that was overly broad.

https://exchange.aaa.com/automotive/driving-costs/#.W4RGv-hKi70

30 minutes ago, Sigaba said:

This qualifier gets in the way of your point that everyone in Los Angeles needs a car, a generalization that was overly broad.

https://exchange.aaa.com/automotive/driving-costs/#.W4RGv-hKi70

Fair enough. I’ve modified my assertion now. I would recommend people get a car at some point of their stay in LA, but it’s not absolutely necessary. It very much depends on the individual situation.

Edited by lordtiandao

On 8/26/2018 at 6:14 PM, lordtiandao said:

@Stella_***

Try using Meetup to find groups you are interested in. That's probably one of the easier ways to meet new people. You can also try to take or audit classes in other LA-area schools and meet people from there. I'm over at UCLA doing Chinese history so you're always welcome to hang out here.

Thank you for the advice! It's so cool you're doing Chinese history! My research focus is on comparative modernisms in Germany and China :)  I was planning on meeting with a few professors over at UCLA so I'd love to hang out!

• 7 months later...

Looking to move to Los Angeles in early August but have no clue where to look! Anybody have any suggestions? I'm totally fine with roommates and don't really have many requirements except that my bedroom door has a lock on it.

6 hours ago, FutureEdPHD said:

Looking to move to Los Angeles in early August but have no clue where to look! Anybody have any suggestions? I'm totally fine with roommates and don't really have many requirements except that my bedroom door has a lock on it.

One main factor to consider: will you have a car?

LA is massive, are you looking at places near USC? If you live in say Venice, it will be a pretty long commute to USC, no matter what form of transportation you use. Where do you need to be close to? 

14 hours ago, trollsloot said:

One main factor to consider: will you have a car?

LA is massive, are you looking at places near USC? If you live in say Venice, it will be a pretty long commute to USC, no matter what form of transportation you use. Where do you need to be close to? 

Yes I'm bringing my car because I figured that I would need it. I'm looking to be close-ish to USC but also open to other areas depending on how far. It looks like I'll have class Monday-Thursday and I'm also working on campus so I'll need to be near there most of the time. 

13 hours ago, FutureEdPHD said:

Yes I'm bringing my car because I figured that I would need it. I'm looking to be close-ish to USC but also open to other areas depending on how far. It looks like I'll have class Monday-Thursday and I'm also working on campus so I'll need to be near there most of the time. 

USC has graduate housing, look into that. As for decent areas around USC look at Echo Park, West Adams, Silverlake, maybe Koreatown and Culver City. It also really depends on how much you can afford to pay a month/how long of a commute you can handle. 

• 2 months later...

How are the Weyburn Terrace Apartments. How big is the studio apartment there. I recently got an offer in one of the studio apartments.

9 hours ago, arkabh said:

How are the Weyburn Terrace Apartments. How big is the studio apartment there. I recently got an offer in one of the studio apartments.

https://housing.ucla.edu/student-housing/graduate-students-and-students-with-families/single-graduate-students/weyburn-terrace-apartments

On 6/26/2019 at 1:25 AM, arkabh said:

I live in a studio in Weyburn (Paseo, the new building) and it's smallish but very nice. It comes pre-furnished which is a great thing especially if you're moving from out of state. That being said, it's fairly expensive. I've lived there for a year and will be continuing to live in the same apartment for my second year, and then plan to find another place probably in brentwood or santa monica or culver city for the rest of my program.

• 9 months later...

Anyone know anything about the CSU LA area and whether or not grad student housing is a sensible choice? I'm going to have to make my admissions decision and start working on moving ASAP (unless I defer bc of COVID). I'm not used to living in that large of a city and I've always benefited from rock bottom midwest living expenses, so I know it's going to be a bit of an adjustment! 

4 hours ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Anyone know anything about the CSU LA area and whether or not grad student housing is a sensible choice? I'm going to have to make my admissions decision and start working on moving ASAP (unless I defer bc of COVID). I'm not used to living in that large of a city and I've always benefited from rock bottom midwest living expenses, so I know it's going to be a bit of an adjustment! 

The cost differences will be breath taking but you will likely find that the greater L.A. area is not as dense as you expect. There are small communities to the north and east of CS Los Angeles that will feel breezy and sleepy as often as not.

Adjacent to CS L.A. is a significant metro stop served by a commuter train and multiple municipal bus services. If you're  willing to trade money spent on rent to time spent on trains/buses, you can broaden your housing options considerably.

Please do keep in mind that there are going to be mutually beneficial opportunities for housing after COVID-19. Renters and home owners will be looking for room/house mates. Now is as good a time as any to take stock of your strengths as a house mate, your list of deal breakers, and your thoughts on interpersonal skills you'd like to develop. 

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone!

I'm reviving this post because I need some help gauging what living in LA will be like. I've been accepted (and really want to accept) a PhD program at UCLA, and I'm trying to figure out what my funding offer needs to be in order for me to bite the bullet and go. 

What is the rent like these days? Would it be possible to find a studio for ~$1300/month? I'm willing to commute!

On that note, what are some good areas to live in order to commute by public transportation to UCLA? I maaaay end up getting a car, but I'm an international student, so that is not going to be my priority for at least a year or two. 

When should I get myself to LA in order to secure a satisfactory place? The school year starts in mid/late September, but I worry that everything "affordable" (by LA standards, lol) and of decent quality will be taken by August. 

I'd appreciate any kind of input! :)

22 hours ago, foxfire123 said:

Hi everyone!

I'm reviving this post because I need some help gauging what living in LA will be like. I've been accepted (and really want to accept) a PhD program at UCLA, and I'm trying to figure out what my funding offer needs to be in order for me to bite the bullet and go. 

What is the rent like these days? Would it be possible to find a studio for ~$1300/month? I'm willing to commute!

On that note, what are some good areas to live in order to commute by public transportation to UCLA? I maaaay end up getting a car, but I'm an international student, so that is not going to be my priority for at least a year or two. 

When should I get myself to LA in order to secure a satisfactory place? The school year starts in mid/late September, but I worry that everything "affordable" (by LA standards, lol) and of decent quality will be taken by August. 

I and many of my those in my program live in the Palms/Culver City/Mar Vista areas. Some of us live in university housing that’s here, and others are just renting other apartments in the area. Although I have a car, many people I know don’t and just use public transport or the UCLA housing shuttle (or others with cars). 

Although it’s hard in your first year, splitting with another person makes it much more affordable. You can end up spending 900-1100 for a two bedroom apartment. $1300 for a studio is lower than you’ll get for single student housing through UCLA, but I think it’s doable.

Can’t help you with the timing question, unfortunately. I started in the middle of COVID and am in the family student housing. If you go into the student housing lottery, you can get an offer at anytime. 

For what it’s worth, undergrads are interested in housing closer to campus (Westwood), so there’s probably less of a seasonal rush for leases further away. 

18 hours ago, passere said:

I and many of my those in my program live in the Palms/Culver City/Mar Vista areas. Some of us live in university housing that’s here, and others are just renting other apartments in the area. Although I have a car, many people I know don’t and just use public transport or the UCLA housing shuttle (or others with cars). 

Although it’s hard in your first year, splitting with another person makes it much more affordable. You can end up spending 900-1100 for a two bedroom apartment. $1300 for a studio is lower than you’ll get for single student housing through UCLA, but I think it’s doable.

Can’t help you with the timing question, unfortunately. I started in the middle of COVID and am in the family student housing. If you go into the student housing lottery, you can get an offer at anytime. 

For what it’s worth, undergrads are interested in housing closer to campus (Westwood), so there’s probably less of a seasonal rush for leases further away. 

Hi! I am likely going to UCLA in the fall, for their MFA. I didn’t know they had family student housing! How does that work? I said in the FAFSA that I was living off campus, mostly because i am married and I am coming to LA with my spouse. Thanks for any information you can provide!! ??

11 hours ago, Hphphphp said:

Hi! I am likely going to UCLA in the fall, for their MFA. I didn’t know they had family student housing! How does that work? I said in the FAFSA that I was living off campus, mostly because i am married and I am coming to LA with my spouse. Thanks for any information you can provide!! ??

The family housing is located about 5 miles south of campus on either side of the 405 freeway. Anyone with family (dependents, spouses, partners) can apply for it. It’s actually easier to get than the single student housing, which often has a longer waitlist. 

I really like it, and it’s a really good price for the area. You can get one bedroom, two bedroom, and three bedroom units, depending on family size. The units are updated and maintenance is pretty good. It’s a gated community, and each apartment comes with one space either in a single car garage or a parking garage structure. There’s been some problems with package stealing, but that’s standard for LA, unfortunately  

Let me know if you have any other questions! I know I had a hard time finding answers when I was planning to move here. 

On 3/13/2021 at 2:45 PM, passere said:

Thank you so much!!!

I've actually been to LA a couple of times, but definitely not to an extent where I know the different neighborhoods. I've heard of Culver City, but Palms and Mar Vista are great to add to my list! I just did a quick search, and it's nice to know that the rent is relatively affordable compared to the rest of LA. 

Also, super happy to hear I CAN still do LA without a car. I'll obviously consider getting at least a used one if I feel like I need it, but I just needed some time to feel out living there for myself. 

Have you heard from other students about 1) how long it takes to commute to school by public transportation from the areas you mentioned, and 2) how they like the single graduate housing? Or maybe someone else can answer that? 

(Also your username looked SUPER familiar, and I realized it's because I saw you on the sociology forum last cycle! Glad you had good news and were able to begin right away, despite the pandemic.) 

On 3/14/2021 at 9:14 PM, foxfire123 said:

Thank you so much!!!

I've actually been to LA a couple of times, but definitely not to an extent where I know the different neighborhoods. I've heard of Culver City, but Palms and Mar Vista are great to add to my list! I just did a quick search, and it's nice to know that the rent is relatively affordable compared to the rest of LA. 

Also, super happy to hear I CAN still do LA without a car. I'll obviously consider getting at least a used one if I feel like I need it, but I just needed some time to feel out living there for myself. 

Have you heard from other students about 1) how long it takes to commute to school by public transportation from the areas you mentioned, and 2) how they like the single graduate housing? Or maybe someone else can answer that? 

(Also your username looked SUPER familiar, and I realized it's because I saw you on the sociology forum last cycle! Glad you had good news and were able to begin right away, despite the pandemic.) 

Oh thanks! I’m glad you were able to make it this year, with such a competitive cycle. I feel like I’m lucky I got in right before everything got weird. Congrats!

I’m not sure how long it normally takes people, but I can tell you that Google says it will take me 30-40 minutes to get to UCLA by bus from where I am. 

I’ve been told that university apartments north is a scam for single grad students (you’re paying to be close and have it furnished). I’ve heard good things about university apartments south, though. They don’t include furniture and can be harder to get, I think. My department offered me priority position in the housing lottery as a first-year student, though, which can help. 

Edited by passere

On 4/16/2020 at 7:34 AM, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

I lived in the neighborhood around CSULA in Alhambra, CA. The college doesn't have a college community in the neighborhood as most students are commuters, so there isn't a place I can point you to specifically. 

An attractive place to live is in and around Old Town, Pasadena. It's a roughly 20 minute drive away during regular traffic, but relatively close. If you leave early, the commute is an easy peasy 15 minute drive through nice neighborhoods. On the upside, you get to really enjoy Old Town Pasadena which is an absolute delight. There are cafes, creperies, restaurants, and outdoor lounging space everywhere.

Here's a link to a bunch of photos:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x80c2c37109a7bdeb%3A0x1c22086da4c04a6b!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO4FJo2ABz2A97v5gLqZ3Es4OuPCLkLcGmqUgWI%3Dw284-h160-k-no!5sold town pasadena - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipO2j_CbpFFkY3YOmtDuU2PLp9itBlHGnRcXNqlB&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjDobeMjLjvAhWMGDQIHVj3AY8QoiowHHoECDQQAw

The neighborhood has a lot of good shopping, dining, and night life options. If you live near Windrose Apartments (271 E Bellevue Dr, Pasadena, CA 91101), you'll be within 3 blocks of a Trader Joe's and a block away from Whole Foods. The Old Town strip will be less than a ten minute walk away. 

If that is too far or a little rich for your blood, living near Garfield and Main in Alhambra is a nice option too. A lot of good ethnic and hipster food options. It's more of a suburb, but it's nice too. 

If you're really into a hipster lifestyle, check out Highland Park, specifically York Blvd. The neighborhood appears rougher, but it's just as safe as any other place in LA, with a lot off-the-wall to shop and dine. It's probably the furthest from CSU LA compared to Old Town and Alhambra, but it's likely the cheaper option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 11:09 PM, foxfire123 said:

Hi everyone!

Hi, @foxfire123 ! Here's a link to UCLA's Transportation organization. Here's a link to the system map for the Los Angeles metro system. The routes in red are Metro Rapid lines that run more frequently during peak times and have fewer stops. If you were to identify areas of overlap of those lines and routes in orange first and then start looking at neighborhoods served by multiple lines.

Please understand that COVID-19 has turned public transportation a bit sideways. It remains unknown how things will look when L.A. reopens and things get "back to normal."

Please understand that some bus and train lines are less conducive to studying than others given the stretch of road, the day of the week, and the time of day.

If you are very disciplined, a viable alternative would be using the L.A. DOT Commuter Express lines that go west in the morning and east in the evening. 

Insofar as getting a car, unless you're going to have reserved off street parking or you're going to live in a residential parking permit district in which most residents park off street, you will likely experience intensifying competition for on street parking spaces.

Were I in your situation, I'd look to live in areas served by the 780, the 704, and the 720. I would try to avoid living somewhere that would take more than one transfer to get to UCLA. I would program my transportation budget for TNCs (Lyft/Uber) with the assumption that rates are going to skyrocket sooner rather than later.

As far as housing goes, you can use craigslist and apartments dot com and zillow to start seeing what $1.3k will get you.  You will get significantly more bang for your buck if you find a shared living situation. I would urge you to consider the benefits of having your own room, your own bathroom, and a washer/dryer in your unit, to say nothing of gated parking.