Los Angeles, CA

Guest ucla

Does anyone know if I agree to on-campus housing on the financial aid form if I could change my mind later? Is USC's grad school housing that much more expensive than off-campus options?

Does anyone know if I agree to on-campus housing on the financial aid form if I could change my mind later? Is USC's grad school housing that much more expensive than off-campus options?

I checked it off too as a way of securing it, but it's not a contractual agreement. We should be able to opt out later. I'm inclined toward opting out later anyway, because I've been told it's not that nice and there seem to be cheaper options.

Would love the input of a current student on this matter though!

I checked it off too as a way of securing it, but it's not a contractual agreement. We should be able to opt out later. I'm inclined toward opting out later anyway, because I've been told it's not that nice and there seem to be cheaper options.

Would love the input of a current student on this matter though!

Thanks! I went ahead and checked it off myself.

I'll likely be getting my M.A. in Strategic PR from Annenberg, and I know that the majority of the classes run until 9 or so at night. I'm planning on suffering through the pain of buying a parking permit, because I know that I don't want to be taking the bus through south central that late in the evening. Something to consider!

These should be the rates for now: http://transnet.usc.edu/index.php/parking-rates/

I think it depends slightly on your luck in the lottery too, though the motorcycle spots may be in less demand than those for cars?

Thanks! There's a lottery for parking permits, though? Jeez... so no one is guaranteed even a permit, let alone a spot?

I'll likely be getting my M.A. in Strategic PR from Annenberg, and I know that the majority of the classes run until 9 or so at night. I'm planning on suffering through the pain of buying a parking permit, because I know that I don't want to be taking the bus through south central that late in the evening. Something to consider!

Especially if you're Asian. Lots of high profile stories of Chinese students being targeted for "being rich."

Edited by 1Q84

Me too! Did you receive your decision yet? I'm still waiting on mine. Someone in the admissions office said they'd start letting us know next week.

Thanks! and YIKES that's a lot per semester... although my vespa would count as a motorcycle so I guess $63/semester ain't bad. ;)

Yeah, if I accept my offer at USC then I'll likely just bring my motorcycle.  A car doesn't seem terribly necessary. 

Me too! Did you receive your decision yet? I'm still waiting on mine. Someone in the admissions office said they'd start letting us know next week.

Hi! Yes, I applied pretty early (and only to USC) and was accepted in mid-February. I had a scholarship interview yesterday and will find out the results of that by Friday, apparently. Have you heard anything yet?

Any locals familiar with Koreatown as a place for families? I'm a single parent with a three year old, so safety is pretty critical, but I've heard Koreatown is both affordable and reasonably safe, as well as not too far from USC. 

Not looking for anything in the lap of luxury here, we're on a budget, but I also need to know there aren't bars on the windows of neighboring buildings or anything. Would appreciate any insight!! Thanks!!

Edit: I'm aware Westlake is nearby, which is something to avoid. Are there any overlapping streets I should be aware of, or microcosm I should aim for? Thanks again!

Edited by Shoelle

Any locals familiar with Koreatown as a place for families? I'm a single parent with a three year old, so safety is pretty critical, but I've heard Koreatown is both affordable and reasonably safe, as well as not too far from USC. 

Not looking for anything in the lap of luxury here, we're on a budget, but I also need to know there aren't bars on the windows of neighboring buildings or anything. Would appreciate any insight!! Thanks!!

Edit: I'm aware Westlake is nearby, which is something to avoid. Are there any overlapping streets I should be aware of, or microcosm I should aim for? Thanks again!

I'm also wondering about Ktown. I'm moving to LA with my boyfriend who will be working in Film while I'm at USC, and I'm really worried about driving home at 930pm to an unsafe neighborhood. Oh, Los Angeles.

Attending UCLA this fall! I'm looking for apartments (and roommates as well!) so if you are also looking for roommates/housing or have any suggestion please let me know!!! Graduate housing is not an option for me since I will be moving with my sweet cat (the one in my profile pic). I plan to live within 20 mins of bus commute and would like to have my own bedroom. Budget is 900-1400 per month per person.

Attending UCLA this fall! I'm looking for apartments (and roommates as well!) so if you are also looking for roommates/housing or have any suggestion please let me know!!! Graduate housing is not an option for me since I will be moving with my sweet cat (the one in my profile pic). I plan to live within 20 mins of bus commute and would like to have my own bedroom. Budget is 900-1400 per month per person.

Try looking in the Santa Boulevard Blvd / Barrington Ave area; there's a bus line running on Santa Monica Blvd that goes straight to campus (Big Blue Bus, line 1, pass subsidized by UCLA). You'd probably be in the upper limit of your housing budget, though. And congrats, that's a great school and LA is pretty fantastic, you're going to have a ton of fun!

Hey everyone, I'm seriously considering UCLA. If I take UCLA's offer I will be living on the beach in Playa del Rey, which will be awesome! How realistic is it to take the bus from Playa to UCLA? I know there is a bus stop on Trolley Way about 600 feet from the place I would live. Does anyone know about how long it would take to make that trip twice a day? I will have a car, but I have been told that without a TA position (I will be on fellowship) getting a parking pass is nearly impossible.

Edited by twentysix

Dang, I meant *Santa Monica Boulevard.

Hey everyone, I'm seriously considering UCLA. If I take UCLA's offer I will be living on the beach in Playa del Rey, which will be awesome! How realistic is it to take the bus from Playa to UCLA? I know there is a bus stop on Trolley Way about 600 feet from the place I would live. Does anyone know about how long it would take to make that trip twice a day? I will have a car, but I have been told that without a TA position (I will be on fellowship) getting a parking pass is nearly impossible.

It's going to take you 1h-1h30min each way. I don't think it's a realistic option, but I guess if you have to be on campus only three days / week and manage to do something productive on the bus, it might work for you.

Dang, I meant *Santa Monica Boulevard.

It's going to take you 1h-1h30min each way. I don't think it's a realistic option, but I guess if you have to be on campus only three days / week and manage to do something productive on the bus, it might work for you.

Is there private parking around UCLA which I can buy monthly?

Guys, I have applied for MSc to the USC on Dec 13, but they still haven`t released my application to the department for review (due to unknown reasons), I hope they will release it in 2-3 days, do I have chances to be considered for Dean`s Master scholarship?

The thing is deadline for scholarship was Dec 15, but it is unclear if it is for submission or for release to department  :mellow:

Try looking in the Santa Boulevard Blvd / Barrington Ave area; there's a bus line running on Santa Monica Blvd that goes straight to campus (Big Blue Bus, line 1, pass subsidized by UCLA). You'd probably be in the upper limit of your housing budget, though. And congrats, that's a great school and LA is pretty fantastic, you're going to have a ton of fun!

Thanks!!!

Since I'll be moving from the East Coast to LA this summer, I wonder if I could start looking for apartments late June / early July. Will it be too late then? 

Plus, how do people usually find roommates there?

Is there private parking around UCLA which I can buy monthly?

I have no clue. If there is, it's likely to be expensive. A daily pass to park in one of the parking structures on campus is $12, I think, so that's another option.

Thanks!!!

Since I'll be moving from the East Coast to LA this summer, I wonder if I could start looking for apartments late June / early July. Will it be too late then? 

Plus, how do people usually find roommates there?

It should work out. I found a room in a shared house through the off-campus housing website from UCLA and when I moved, another room through airbnb (some people put long-term rentals there). Craigslist is another option.

Edited by chateaulafitte

I would recommend Culver City and the Pico/Robertson area instead of the Valley - it's about the same distance, but much nicer and more restaurants/bars/galleries/interesting things to do. When I was at UCLA I lived in Silverlake and commuted (about 40 mins) which was worth it to me because I much prefer the East Side of LA, already had friends there, and I didn't have to be on campus all the time. It was around $600 or $700 for an annual parking pass (make sure you apply on time if you want to have the option of parking on campus - it fills up quickly and if you don't have a pass it is very hard to park nearby). If you want to be able to walk to campus, there is also plenty of housing in Westwood itself, and it should be easy to find roommates since there are so many students. For apartment hunting, check out West Side Rentals - it's subscription based, but I had much more luck on there than Craigslist. 

Hey, 

I have got an admit for a MS degree in Structural Engineering at UCLA :D  :D  :D  I have more or less committed to joining this university for the Fall 2015 quarter. I have done quite a bit of reading about the university, so don't really need to be told how great it is!  :P If there are any seniors or undergrads here, (not necessarily for the same degree) could you please help me out with answers to some of these questions:

1. What are the best places to live in while attending UCLA?

2. What is the crime scene like in and around the university?

3. Of the places suggested, what may be the approximate rents for each area?

Also looking for some roommates here, if possible. 

Thanks,

Kenneth

Bangalore, INDIA