Why are they making me wait so long for a rejection?

jbean

I'm sorry, but I'm really frustrated and I feel like there's no one I know who can relate. 

I applied to five programs, three of which were PhD's. Since I didn't get interview invites for the PhD programs, and I applied for clinical psych (which seems to pretty much always do interviews), I accepted the fact that those were going to be rejections. It's a bummer, but this was my first time applying to grad schools, and now I have a much better understanding of what it's going to take to be a competitive applicant, so it's okay. 

What's really bugging me is, it's almost April and I only just heard from ONE of the three programs. Nothing at all from the other two. Someone told me that one of those two doesn't even look at applications if you haven't been published, which I haven't. But if that's the case, why didn't they just let me know right away? The other school has told people for weeks and weeks that all interview invitations have already been handed out... so why don't they just send official rejections already? I mean, I convinced myself for a while that perhaps they were basically keeping me as a "maybe", but it seems pretty obvious that's not a possibility anymore, so why can't they just make it official by sending along a form letter email?

Don't get me wrong, I get that the whole decision-making process is tons and TONS of work. And certainly take all the time you need to make those decisions. But once a choice is made, do they really have to drag us along for this long before they finally give an official answer?

This all made worse by the fact that I'm ALSO still waiting to get answers from the OTHER two programs which are still actual possibilities. 

*Deep breath* Okay, end rant. Sorry again about that. 

I'm wondering the same thing. I still haven't heard anything from one school (whose acceptances have been sent out weeks ago and I doubt they'll send more). The worst thing is that it seems they're also ignoring my emails asking them about the decisions' dates.

I know I'll be rejected, but it's just unsettling the fact that I haven't got a single response from that school.

I'm in the humanities, and based on personal experience this cycle, I'm getting the sense that some schools simply don't inform applicants that they've been rejected. It's completely screwed up given the amount of time and energy we put into tailoring our applications to each school, not to mention the fee we have to pay. I usually end up telling myself that I wouldn't have wanted to be part of a program that shows so little common courtesy to some applicants anyway.

I feel like they need to fill up all the spots. So the deadline is somewhere around April for those accepted to accept the school's offer, ask all of their endless questions, talk to their POIs and weigh their PROs and CONs before they give the school their official decision. 

So we are the waiting. Not the waitlisted, not the rejected. Just a state of waiting. 

There could be a bunch of reasons why you haven't heard back yet, but just because you haven't doesn't mean that it's a rejection. Some departments segment their applications in weird ways or put some aside for a more careful review. Waiting sucks but it also means you're still in the running. Best of luck to you!

I am also in limbo with you guys. But since I haven't been officially rejected or waitlisted, I am assuming that I am still being considered (someway, somehow). Good luck!

I'd be more cconcerned about the waiting If I didn't still have an interview to attend next week. While it's easy to assume rejection at this stage, I know that some schools are definitely still in deliberation. Hang in there.

The program I'm wait-listed at (which I only learned after sending an email asking) already had its "admitted students' day" (and posted photos on Facebook, how's that for a downer?). If I do get in (they say all students will be notified by JULY 1!!), I wonder how obvious it'll be that I'm from the 2nd-rate pile? :(

Guest hopefulfool

The program I'm wait-listed at (which I only learned after sending an email asking) already had its "admitted students' day" (and posted photos on Facebook, how's that for a downer?). If I do get in (they say all students will be notified by JULY 1!!), I wonder how obvious it'll be that I'm from the 2nd-rate pile? :(

I am having a similar concern. What if accepted off the waitlist and my classmates notice that I wasn't present at the visitation day (in my field cohorts range from 10-20 typically)? 

I am in the same boat with you guys...I have heard nothing from the schools that I applied to...no interview, no rejection, no acceptation...nothing....I have no idea how the admission process is going on out there...

I am having a similar concern. What if accepted off the waitlist and my classmates notice that I wasn't present at the visitation day (in my field cohorts range from 10-20 typically)? 

I don't mean to sound apathetic, but who cares if your classmates notice you weren't at the visitation day?

I'm in the humanities, and based on personal experience this cycle, I'm getting the sense that some schools simply don't inform applicants that they've been rejected. It's completely screwed up given the amount of time and energy we put into tailoring our applications to each school, not to mention the fee we have to pay. I usually end up telling myself that I wouldn't have wanted to be part of a program that shows so little common courtesy to some applicants anyway.

In my humble opinion, giving no response whatsoever is just rude. Once a decision has been made, how much energy and effort does it really take to copy and paste a rejection notification to a list of emails? You do have a point, that if a school shows such little respect for its applicants, how much do I really want to spend the next several years of my life dealing with them as a student?

There could be a bunch of reasons why you haven't heard back yet, but just because you haven't doesn't mean that it's a rejection. Some departments segment their applications in weird ways or put some aside for a more careful review. Waiting sucks but it also means you're still in the running. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for your optimism, frwang. I sincerely doubt I still have a shot, but I really do appreciate it.

I understand what you mean, and I would probably feel the same way if I were in your position... HOWEVER, not to sound too much like dear old mom, but if the people in your cohort judge you based on that, you want nothing to do with them anyway. 

jbean, I'm also waiting to hear back from two schools and am INCREDIBLY frustrated. I emailed both of them and they basically said "hang on, we're not done yet, you'll know by the 15th of April." I like to tell myself that I'm still being considered for that one slot that's left, but I don't know why I'm not even waitlisted. 

I've been accepted to two other schools, but one will probably extend my schooling my several years and the other is unfunded. 

*sigh*

I am so feeling this. First of all, I only applied to one school. I know, I definitely underapplied, but I had trouble finding places that I really felt fit me.  So, I applied in the first week in January, got an email from the university the last week in February saying that most decisions won't be made until early April.  This is especially true, as I will be an international student permitting I get in.  When I visited my POI in January (who is also the program director), I was led to believe I had nothing to worry about.  I emailed him the first week in March, just to keep in touch, and he informed me the program is taking less internationals than he originally thought, and it will be difficult to get in. Which ok, I should probably start thinking about plan b now.  Anyways, I emailed the admissions office to see what my application status was (as I now have a job offer on the table- felt the need to cover my bases, and if I don't end up getting in, this is the dream job I would want at this point). It has now been two weeks, and still no response. So I'm assuming the worse. Was planning on calling admissions tomorrow, and then I got an email from the admissions department today about graduate housing. It must be some sick joke they are playing to give me false hope. While I know there is still a slim chance I get in, I feel like an acceptance should come before an application for housing. Really hating this limbo, don't really care what the answer is (although I would be ecstatic if I got in!) I just want to know!!!

I got admitted off the waiting list. So don't lose hope, I'm the living proof that there are some good chances to get the good news one day.