They say they do not have a record of my application!!!!

I cannot believe this!!! Since I had not heard from a particular program that I applied to, I emailed to find out if all the interviews had already been done. I get a response informing me that they have no record of my application. I have tracking that shows that they received the damn thing!!! So basically I'm screwed because someone on their end messed up!!! Has anyone else heard of this before? What else could I have done? I kept hearing people say that you are not supposed to bug the program and whatnot, but how else could I have prevented this from happening?!?!

Sorry for the rant.. I am just TOTALLY shocked! Already had myself a good cry and everything :)

Uggghhh.. This sucks!

Do they know that they messed up? I'd send them your confirmation and ask if there was any way your app could be reviewed, even though it's so late.

For my apps that didn't track everything online, I followed up a few weeks after the deadline to make sure they had everything. One school didn't answer but everybody else did.

The waived my app fee so that's a no go. I just feel so let down. This entire process has been such an eye opener, ya know. I did not contact the department because I had the tracking info from the overnight package I sent, and my adviser told me to basically leave the schools alone once I have applied. He said they are extremely bogged down and I should just let them be. Basically, don't be "that girl".

I guess you live and learn.

Oh, and the only reason I even found out about all this was I sent an email asking if all the interviews had been offered yet. That's when the responded saying that they had no app for me. But, the plot thickens.. dun.. dun.. dun..

She tells me they have no app for me but she somehow hows some of my info that was only supplied via the app process. Sounds to me like someone dropped the ball while entering my info or something. Guess there is no use crying over incomplete apps but shessh.. I guess the moral of the story is:

Don't listen to anyone and go ahead and bug the crap out of admission offices.. Wait, no that's not it. Hmm.. Hand deliver all applications.. Nah.. I am sure there's a moral in here somewhere. Oh, I know. I am the most UNLUCKY individual on the face of the planet! :) I mean really, have you EVER heard of something like this happening before?

Yes, I've heard of these sorts of things happening before... admissions and psych departments are not really known for their organization throughout this whole process. It sucks, but it looks like you already have at least one acceptance, so I wouldn't stress out too much. If a school is unorganized enough to lose your application and then doesn't try to proactively apologize or fix the situation the best they can, then you don't really want to go there.

Guest joshw4288

Yes, I have. I had an application in which a letter of recommendation was lost. My advisor had delivery confirmation of the LOR having been delivered. The graduate admissions office had no record and simply said "We have hundreds of documents mailed to our department on a daily basis and sometimes, unfortunately, things do get lost." They offered to hold my application for the next cycle because it was already too late to be reviewed even though I got the letter to the department the next day. It is unfortunate but things do get misplaced.

I also had a situation where a school could not find my GRE scores. They had been sent well before the deadline. Fortunately the GRE scores were found. They had been entered into the wrong file.

I had a case this year one univ. tried to convince me, that I haven't sent them my transcripts and 4 enveloped recommendations. I even sent them a scan of my FedEx cheque. FInally they found it in the middle of January

Yeah, it's a really crappy situation and I'm really sorry that you're in it. You did all that could reasonably be expected of you, and it's definitely not your fault. I'd be quite offended about the callous reaction, even if I hadn't had tracking on my application.

At the place I'm finishing up my master's, they get about 650 applications for the PhD program. I imagine that it's hard to care too much about any one applicant when you have THAT many applicants emailing you constantly about things that are usually not important or their own fault. I could see how the assistant/coordinator could be burnt out by this late in the app cycle. That being said, there is no excuse for it, and if I were you, I'd likely not apply next year.

And as much as it's lame to hear (as opposed to getting an interview/offer), their mistake cost them the chance to have a great candidate in their program, so their loss and they can shove it :-D

I'm so sorry that happened to you, Bionica! It's a grad school admissions nightmare.

Don't kick yourself over not following up. The school really screwed up, and there's no way you could have predicted that.

honestly. I'm surprised that there are not MORE lost applications. The whole process is so inefficient and messy. Different things are sent at different times to a general mailbox and often with very little structure. They really need to have a one-stop online application process and do everything electronically. 

Yeah... the problem is that electronic application management is expensive. For example, at the school I am at now, the application process goes through the general Admissions department, and the departments can't change aspects of the application process. For psych departments who receive ridiculously high numbers of applicants who want to customize their application process (ex. let people specify what faculty members they want to work with on an application, ask them specific Psychology questions such as career goals, etc.)- the options are basically to invest in a very expensive online management program supported solely by the Psych department, or to try to come up with some sort of addition to the main application process. (ex. have people fill out forms and send in separately). If they choose the latter, then the question becomes how to effectively and efficiently merge and store data collected from multiple sources, for a large number of applicants. There's really no easy solution to things like this, and for programs with a large number of applicants, they likely don't care how burdensome it is for applicants to apply by submitting things through various channels, since they figure the ones who are the most organized and who want to attend the program the most are going to be the ones who actually follow through.

For the record, I still think the processes suck and they should invest in an online management program- just explaining why that doesn't seem to be happening for most psych depts :-D

Thanks for all the support everyone! I have stepped back from the ledge now..lol.. Doing better now.

Planning to throw all eggs into 1 basket and HOPEFULLY I will nail my interview and they will love me :)

Or, if anyone is hanging onto an admit they don't want at NCSU (I/O program) or UNO (neuro program) maybe you could hurry up make a decision..lol.. so they can make me an offer, you know.. get me off this dang wait list.. :)

But seriously, thanks again for all the nice thoughts everyone!

Hee hee.. The mean, evil little troll that lives inside me fantasizes about reapplying just to tell them to suck it, should I be offered a space :)

Just Kidding.

I would TOTALLY do this if I were in your shoes (assuming I had the financial resources), esp if I got into another program.

Then again, I come from a long line of lunatic vindictive nutbars, so probably best to not listen to me.

All in all, sorry to hear this happened.