Stanford EE MS vs. Purdue funded PhD

wweerr

One is a PhD program, the other is a MS program. The MS is not funded and the PhD is funded. Which one would you choose if you are me. Both school are strong in EE, but you know Stanford is Stanford. 

First of all, do you ultimately plan on pursuing a PhD degree? If that is the case, then I would go with the funded option from Purdue, which is still a great Electrical Engineering school.

I also got the MS unfunded option with Stanford, but since PhD is my ultimate goal, I see no need to pay for a Masters and then re-apply to be considered for a PhD (which isn't always guaranteed).

First of all, do you ultimately plan on pursuing a PhD degree? If that is the case, then I would go with the funded option from Purdue, which is still a great Electrical Engineering school.

I also got the MS unfunded option with Stanford, but since PhD is my ultimate goal, I see no need to pay for a Masters and then re-apply to be considered for a PhD (which isn't always guaranteed).

Thanks for the reply. Hail engineers!

Just follow the money. Spending so much for your graduate study is simply ridiculous.

Besides Purdue is a great place to pursuit your PhD degree.

Agreed. Accept Purdue's offer.

I have decided to turn down Stanford. Well, not many people have the chance to turn down Stanford. Haha. 

Take it a screenshot of that!

If I do the same, I will most certainly be screenshotting haha

If I do the same, I will most certainly be screenshotting haha

I have checked where ECE PhD students at Purdue go after graduation. It seems everyone can get into good companies such as Google, Microsoft, Intel, etc. I imagine same things happen at UIUC and U Mich. So I believe if you are considering industry after graduation, there won't be much difference between a Stanford degree and a degree from UMich or UIUC. Plus, you are admitted to MS at Stanford. So it's possibly even easier to get a better job in industry if you have a PhD degree from UIUC or U Mich. 

If you are considering to become a professor, then Stanford may be the choice. But again, it is the MS program at Stanford. How are u gonna associate it with the goal to become a professor.

I think the only factor that sways your opinions is that Stanford has a better name. But I believe if you are a capable and confident person, you can impress others by your own abilities. Am I right?

So based on the above thought, I turned down Stanford. :)

I have checked where ECE PhD students at Purdue go after graduation. It seems everyone can get into good companies such as Google, Microsoft, Intel, etc. I imagine same things happen at UIUC and U Mich. So I believe if you are considering industry after graduation, there won't be much difference between a Stanford degree and a degree from UMich or UIUC. Plus, you are admitted to MS at Stanford. So it's possibly even easier to get a better job in industry if you have a PhD degree from UIUC or U Mich. 

If you are considering to become a professor, then Stanford may be the choice. But again, it is the MS program at Stanford. How are u gonna associate it with the goal to become a professor.

I think the only factor that sways your opinions is that Stanford has a better name. But I believe if you are a capable and confident person, you can impress others by your own abilities. Am I right?

So based on the above thought, I turned down Stanford. :)

I hope you are right! I think industry is the goal for me. I'm hoping I can still land a job at similar companies like you say.

You're right about the name swaying my opinion  ;)  I don't know though...who knows if I might change my mind and want to get into academia permanently.

There's a good chance I could go to Stanford for an M.S. externally funded. However, I think I would only want to do this if I could attempt to get into the Stanford PhD program after M.S. Unfortunately, this external fellowship requires me to work for the government after grad school and I may be forced to go to a government lab immediately following earning my M.S., i.e. I might not even have a chance to try to get in to the PhD program.

• 10 months later...