Elliott Aid Email

I was admitted to Elliott but disappointed to not get any aid. I emailed them pleading my case and got a generic email back about how they will review my case. Since then, I have received an email indicating, well at least to me, that I've been awarded additional aid. No amount was noted but the letter also said that they award full scholarships to a small amount of students and that I should consider myself lucky to get some money!!!!!!!!!

Naturally I am excited but confused. Was I awarded a s full scholarship or not? Of course, I have emailed admissions to clarify but I dont think I'll be able to wait until then! The language was really confusing so did anyone else get this email? Or did they get aid the first time after applying? How was it phrased?!?!? Does it not mention the full amount?!

I am so confused!!!!!!!!!!

It's hard to say without seeing the actual text of the e-mail. You might have a full scholarship, or they might simply be pointing out that most students have to take on some financial burden themselves, so you are lucky that yours has been reduced somewhat.

Has anyone else got a full scholarship or any aid from Elliott? How was it phrased in terms of the language? Every other school simply noted, my aid application was assessed and I've been awarded $$$!!! Dont know what this is about! So frustrating!!!!!!!!! I dont really want to post the mail in case its something specific to me, if that makes sense!

Why don't you just ring them and ask?  This is really big news... I'd pick up the phone (or log into Skype) if you haven't heard anything by tomorrow...

I agree. This sounds like perhaps they forgot to attach a PDF or something.

Why don't you just ring them and ask?  This is really big news... I'd pick up the phone (or log into Skype) if you haven't heard anything by tomorrow...

I have phoned them already!!! I was on hold for so long, and living in London its difficult to schedule something at a reasonable time! Still waiting on my several emails.. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have phoned them already!!! I was on hold for so long, and living in London its difficult to schedule something at a reasonable time! Still waiting on my several emails.. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm surprised. In my contact with them both per phone and email, they've been very quick to respond.

Unbelievably I was told I'd have to wait until the 20th to determine what my letter means!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe it. Could someone please let me know what their letter said and how they interpreted it? I'm going out of my mind here...!!

umm. When is the date to respond to GWU for enrollment? Maybe they're waiting on that to confirm your aid amount? Without looking at the actual letter I don't think anyone can help you with the ambiguity! 

I got into GW Trachtenberg for the MPA program. They told me I was an alternate for funding and high on the alternate list, which means that someone else who received funding would have to decline for me to get the aid. I followed up with them and have been in contact since being admitted, but still no word or more specific info. Since Trachtenberg's deadline for admit decisions is April 30, I figured I wouldn't hear anything concrete until May. So my experience with GW was similarly vague and cryptic to yours, though they were very pleasant and polite in their unhelpfulness!

It seems like unfortunately you might not hear anything until closer to or after the decision deadline :/ how frustrating!!

It sounds like you're eligible to receive second round funding, but until they know whether those who received frirst round fudning have accepted or declined their offer of admission, they wont know how much they have to offer you. The more to decline, the more funding they'll have to redistribute for those offered second round fudning.

If I were you, I'd definitely ask for an extension on your deadline for accepting or declining your admission offer. It's fair to say you need to know what your additional funding offer is before you can make your final decision, and as they're the ones being so ambiguous, the least they can do is give you the time you need to make an informed decision.

I was accepted to GWU and they offered to pay for half of tuition.  I think I'm gonna pass on it and go to Georgetown MSFS.  I meet a few MSFS students this week, and when I asked them about what other schools they had been accepted to, they all said GWU. Also, all of them had gotten partial or full funding, but passed on it to come to MSFS. 

My deadline to accept or decline GWU is April 20th, which is a Saturday. I imagine it is the same deadline for all of those who got fundng. So, if I were you, I would call and follow up on aid on the 22nd of April.  Considering there were quite a few people that are now at Georgetown that had fellowship offers from GWU, I think some funding will open up. 

I think I'm passing on mine.

Edited by KF IA

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clay made, I can totally understand your frustration especially what you went through last year with deferral et al.  For what its worth, my two cents below:

My guess is that you are high on their ranking and as per their estimation you are almost sure to get "some" funding but they cant commit till April 20th ( when the scholarship deadline ends). It may very well be the case that you are awarded the full scholarship but its difficult to infer this meaning from the e-mail  

No amount was noted but the letter also said that they award full scholarships to a small amount of students and that I should consider myself lucky to get some money!!!!!!!!!

Going solely by these wordings, the key thing above is "some' which weakens your case of full scholarship. if they would have used the word "the' then it would have been a different thing.

Anyhow, April 20th is just hours away and I am turning down my offer. Here is hoping that my money goes to you :)

All the best ! 

Hi Clay made, I can totally understand your frustration especially what you went through last year with deferral et al.  For what its worth, my two cents below:

My guess is that you are high on their ranking and as per their estimation you are almost sure to get "some" funding but they cant commit till April 20th ( when the scholarship deadline ends). It may very well be the case that you are awarded the full scholarship but its difficult to infer this meaning from the e-mail  

Going solely by these wordings, the key thing above is "some' which weakens your case of full scholarship. if they would have used the word "the' then it would have been a different thing.

Anyhow, April 20th is just hours away and I am turning down my offer. Here is hoping that my money goes to you :)

All the best ! 

Thanks! Still waiting to hear from them. So frustrating but they gave me a firm date of 23 April as to when they'd be able to inform me.