responding to a rejection letter and gearing up for 2014

doctorawho

Ah well, didn't make it this year. It's okay; it was a long shot but worth a try (currently 22, applied straight out of uni). My question is, would it be bad form to respond to their rejection letter with a request about how I can improve my application for next year? If so, how does one respond to a rejection letter?

Most of my rejection letters have advised against it, so I wouldn't do it - especially if you plan to apply to those places again. 

For my second time applying, I just focused on improving my portfolio, getting some better recommenders, a new essay, etc. In my case, everything could have been improved, and if you're still connected to your undergraduate institution, the admissions office there can be really helpful.

I would agree with everything PouchPotato advised. I would not contact the schools but instead focus on contacting old professors, peers and friends asking for their feedback.

I'd take sometime to get some distance from everything. To reboot. This process is exhausting. But then come back at it; you can do this.

If you ask in an even-keeled/professional manner I don't see how it could hurt you. If you're polite/succinct they're not going to blacklist you permanently.  Approach it from the angle that you're grateful for the consideration, would love to attend in the future, and if they're allowed to disclose any feedback about your application you'd really appreciate it.