Anyone heard from GW/Elliott yet? (especially Int'l Devel)

Has anyone heard from the Elliott School yet? Especially for International Development Studies program...

A friend of mine heard from GW for Int'l Affairs a couple weeks ago, with an e-mail saying "it appears likely that you'll be accepted and receive funding..." But that's a separate program.

The said late March, but so did Fletcher(MALD) and American/SIS, and I've heard from both of them already.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone?

(Accepted: Fletcher, American/SIS)

(Waiting: GW)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^

I got the same letter but, yeah, it was for International Affairs.

I'd imagine you'll hear something either by the end of this week or early the next.

My guess is that GWU is trying to put everything out at once rather than have trickle system.

UPDATE on this: I just got an e-mail from the Elliott School saying:

"Elliott School graduate admission decisions will be available online on Friday, March 20. To access this information please log in to your online application. Decision letters are being mailed this week."

We'll see how it goes...

I certainly hope it doesn't crash...but Fletcher's certainly did last Friday.

The thing I'm also wondering about is when we'll get the paper decisions in the mail. Despite the specificity they gave that on March 20 we'll see the decisions online, they still left some room for ambiguity...

In yesterday's e-mail they wrote

"Decision letters are being mailed this week."

Now could that possibly mean they'll be mailing them throughout the week? So people who live in DC could possibly find out before Friday? Or just, "sometime this week, we'll get around to sending them out," which would probably mean even DC folks will find out Friday online?

We'll see...

-----------------------------------------------

Applied: 3 schools

Accepted: Fletcher, AU/SIS

Waiting: GW

Lol, I'm pretty sure it will crash like Fletcher's did. I wonder if they'll tell us when notifications are online or if we'll just be madly refreshing all day. I'm guessing the latter. If anyone gets a mail notification before Friday let us know so we'll have some idea of when they were sent. Also I tried logging on to the GWU application site, you know, cause I'm obsessive and just wanted to see if for some reason they had put my notification up early. Anyway it isn't showing my info as received anymore, it's like I'm making a new application. Has anyone else had this happen and do you think it will be a problem for getting my decision?

I certainly hope it doesn't crash...but Fletcher's certainly did last Friday.

I doubt GW's system will crash because it uses a big name application management system (Apply Yourself) unlike Fletcher, which seems to have hired a non-standard company to manage its files.

Firefly, it might not matter because its so late in the game, im sure they've processed your application etc. but I had that happen to me a few months ago and I had to deal with the techies for a week as they tried to retrieve it. You might want to check in with them.

Firefly, it might not matter because its so late in the game, im sure they've processed your application etc. but I had that happen to me a few months ago and I had to deal with the techies for a week as they tried to retrieve it. You might want to check in with them.

Thanks ashes. I guess I'm not terribly worried because it previously showed me the completed application, it's just recently that it converted to looking like a new app. If I can't access it Friday I'll call them and hopefully get it straightened out! Good luck on Friday everyone!

Just got an email several minutes ago from Elliott school regarding with an offer for admission and details on a fellowship award. Nothing on the applyyourself site yet. It also mentioned that I should receive a hard copy admissions packet by next week.

I'm wondering if the award mentioned in the letter from the Elliott School won't be combined with the George Washington University award mentioned in a previous email. I am totally desperate for funding and may be grasping at straws, but they seemed to make a distinction between the two awards I was being considered for in the email I received a couple of weeks ago.

To illustrate, today's email reads, "Your application has been reviewed by the Fellowship Selection Committee at the Elliott School of International Affairs at The George Washington University. I am pleased to inform you that you will be offered admission and a Merit Fellowship for the 2009-2010 academic year."

The previous email read, "Your application is currently being considered by the fellowship selection committee and it appears likely that you will receive an offer of admission and a merit-based partial tuition fellowship offer from the Elliott School. We will notify you immediately when final decisions are made, probably in mid-March. In addition, you have been identified as a candidate for a special University Graduate Grant for 2009-10. We strongly encourage you to apply."

It goes on to say that to qualify for the latter award, I have to complete the FAFSA and intend to study full time. I wonder if anything else is necessary to "apply" for this award. Anyone know?

I wondered the same thing. I too think that we may still be in the running for the University grants mentioned in the email several weeks ago. The fellowship is strictly merit based, where I think the University grant is both need and merit. My understanding is that nothing else was required on our end beyond ensuring GW received our FAFSA. I guess its wait and see at this point

I agree that we could still be in the running for grants, but that information will come with the full financial aid package that we are to receive. Everything that I read said that completing the application was all that was required for the university grants and fellowships.

Yeah I'm not a fan of how GW is doing this either. Saying we'll get the notice online tomorrow, but then e-mailing before too, leaving the rest of us to wonder what is going on. Congrats to everyone who has heard good news so far! Hopefully the rest of us will know soon.

Has everyone who got e-mails today also received funding? Do you guys think they have e-mailed everyone or just those receiving money?

I mean, if I didn't get an e-mail, should I just give up?

The results page shows only funding offers. I certainly haven't given up hope of acceptance, though I'm certainly not expecting to get any sort of fellowship...