Phi Alpha Theta

JacksonBaby

Hey Everyone,

So I was curious what everyone thinks of Phi Alpha Theta and if it would help at all in graduate admissions? Also would presentation at my regional (Mid-Atlantic with Hopkins and Gettysburg) Phi Alpha Theta conference be helpful over any other presentation?

I'm the secretary of my university's chapter. I agree with CrazyCatLady - it looks great on a CV AND they have a lot of opportunities for students wanting to gain experience in an honors society heavily involved with the academic community on a local and national level. 

It will definitely add to your overall application. It will show the admissions committee that you are taking advantage of non-academic avenues to further the study/practice of history. Regarding the presentation, I would say any presentation at the undergraduate level would only be a plus on an application. I can say from experience that if you are involved with PAT, you will have great opportunities for conference attendance/participation, and potentially funding/awards as a grad student.

PAT was great for me for getting to go to student conferences, meet other history students and faculty, and see really interesting research presentations. My school's PAT is fairly active and we received funding from student government to attend conferences in CT and FL.

My undergrad is very small, and our PAT chapter has about 8 or 9 students generally, so we're not super active. But I will say that the conference opportunities are excellent. They're particularly useful if you're considering going to a school that's in the same region as your undergrad. I ended up presenting a paper at our regional conference a month ago, which was great for networking and letting professors at schools I was considering put a face to a name.