Edmonton, AB

abcd_grad

This post

Is this post for real? I'm actually a little insulted that you would think my entire hometown looks "run-down and crappy". Especially since your location is Windsor? Perhaps try to venture into the river valley at any time. Beautiful. That being said, the reason why we don't have provincial tax is because we have this wonderful oil industry that brings tons of money into the province. I can assure you maintenance is done on a regular basis and the city doesn't look like a dump.

This post made me laugh because I pulled up the same member about being from Windsor and commenting about Edmonton too... I lived in Windsor for two years, and its really up there with Hamilton (sorry Hamilton folk) in terms of scenic beauty... BUT aside from it being ugly the people in Windsor are great and I would move back for the people (if I didn't have other things going on). More often than not its the people that make a city, not the city itself, and as cities go, Id say Edmonton is much prettier than Windsor...

Edited by Frozenroses

This person also doesn't eat fruits or vegetables, so I'm not sure I can stop laughing. Edmonton is beautiful. Don't insult our city.

WTF do my dietary preferences have to do with you? I simply don't like them, and I get by just fine without. Would you call out a vegetarian like that? I hope not.

Jesus fuck, people. I'm sorry I asked. You can go fuck yourselves if you take such offense to someone stating their honest opinion of the campus after having looked all around it on google street view. Also, I have no opinion on the city itself, as I have only looked at the campus. If my previous post implied otherwise, that was a mistake. And, no, I'm not from Windsor. I am merely studying there because the tuition was cheap and they offered me a full ride.

LOL!

The intertubes are so very, very angry tonight.

Edited by obrera

WTF do my dietary preferences have to do with you? I simply don't like them, and I get by just fine without. Would you call out a vegetarian like that? I hope not.

If you truly thought your dietary preferences had nothing to do with the readers of this forum then WHY ON EARTH would you post them. And as for your language, tone it down, this is supposed to be a supportive community of people looking to go to graduate school and asking for honest advice. Your original post was insulting and ignorant, so you reaped insults in return. Oh, and good luck finding a place that does not serve fruit or vegetables of some kind. And good luck with the eventual plethora of diseases and disorders ahead of you for eating nothing but junk and antibiotic-ridden meat. Perhaps you are a "hungryhungryhipster" because your nutritional requirements are not met by your current, obviously lacking, diet. Perhaps, indeed, these lacking nutritional requirements could help to explain your apparent social interaction difficulties as well.

Have a nice day!

Wow that was an unexpected response...bordering on trolling to be honest, although I know this person to normally be a nice, contributing forum member. In fact I believe I gave him my NSERC proposal to help him out

Yes, Edmonton is quite industrial in places. It also has beautiful spots. Just like any city, really. The campus doesn't have that many old buildings, but there are certainly a number of older buildings on campus (and not just gross concrete 60s style buildings). How you feel about the campus will completely depend on what season you are there. Winter isn't the best look for the campus or the city. Because of the cold we don't salt, we sand, so everything looks pretty grimy in the winter time (except after fresh snowfall). I also thought it odd that you would be so judgmental of a campus such as U of A's when you are attending the University of Windsor, given that they're somewhat similar.

I also thought the question about your dietary preferences odd because what city doesn't have plenty of fast food places to eat at? It's not like Edmonton is some weird city that only provides health food. You can get your fair share of junk anywhere in Edmonton, in SUB or HUB on campus, and along Whyte Ave (which is near campus and where a student would probably want to live)

But we all remember the old one :) I visited Edmonton in Nov last year, and 'call me mad' but I actually thought the campus to be really nice - prior to getting to Edmonton I had also gone to visit SFU campus, York Campus, Carleton Campus, Ryerson Campus... I also have spent a large amount of time on UofT, University of Windsor (used to manage the pub there - lucky me!) and McMaster campuses.... my point with all this I guess is that unlike the first 4 campuses that I mentioned, I thought that Edmonton seemed really easy to get around, not that bad looking, bordering on pretty, and everyone was super friendly. Since decideding to go to UofA two of my friends have hooked me up with people they know there, and I have had very welcoming e-mails from them. I am therefore trusting that these are good omens and that, even though the downtown core of Edmonton might be a bit of a ghost town, I am sure I will find lots of other great pockets to hang out in (when I am not studying obviously ha) and will meet good people!

There seems to be a perception that not eating vegetables = eating junk food.

You did say that you ate mostly burgers, fries, and other pub fare, which isn't exactly healthy food.

Moreover, I was defensive as I thought this thread was for people who are genuinely interested in living in or visiting Edmonton, not just for people who are coming here for a free trip when they've already decided against the school and begin their inquiries with calling the city crappy. If you are actually interested in having an enjoyable stay in Edmonton, perhaps you should have phrased your original post differently. I would have responded with some interesting restaurants and neat sights.

There seems to be a perception that not eating vegetables = eating junk food. The school will be paying for my meals, so naturally I'll be eating out at good restaurants. There's steak, chicken, ribs, seafood, turkey, grains, etc. etc. So basically anything but Asian restaurants, as they're almost entirely vegetables.

I just can't fathom how you can never eat fruits or vegetables. But don't worry, you're in Alberta, there will be plenty of beef.

Whatever. I ask a question, even if it was a bit tactless, and people jump down my throat. And no, I was initially quite excited about going to the UofA, then I got that magical letter from my dream school and with my dream professor, so I no longer had any reason to consider UofA. Meanwhile, they already had booked my flight, so it would have looked bad to turn them down and make them eat a non-refundable plane ticket. Do you think I enjoy missing a full week of school and then having to pretend for the whole time that I'm interested in them?

It hardly matters, though, as I can see I'm not welcome on this forum, so adios.

I am moving to Edmonton from Chicago to do a Master's at the University of Alberta. I am planning on staying at East Campus Village at first anyway because I won't have a car. Is this a good location for a graduate student and would you say I'd be alright without a car?

I lived in Edmonton my whole life so lived at home and commuted during my undergrad. A car was absolutely necessary for that. My boyfriend moved to Edmonton to do his undergrad and got by quite well for 5 years without a car. He lived both on and off campus, as far away as 109 St and Whyte ave. I will note that his roommates did have cars. There are a number of grocery stores within walking distance of campus, and anything you might need is in the Whyte area or on the LRT line. East Campus Village is super close to both campus, Whyte ave and a grocery store. Definitely a walkable area. You also have a UPass so could take the bus to get groceries if you needed to carry a lot.

Living on Whyte ave is pretty easy without a car. I live in the 109 and Whyte area, and I can get by with day to day stuff without a car. However, my job is a 15 drive away and it takes almost two hours on the bus. The bus system is really inefficient once you leave the LRT line and Whyte or downtown, so if you plan on venturing off the LRT line often, you might want to consider a car, or at least budget for a cab ride or two. But yeah, if you are living in close proximity to campus, I'd say you are a-okay without a car.

Hi All-

I was excited to find this thread (even though it got a bit intense for awhile there!).

I'm an American visiting Edmonton from Los Angeles right now to see the school/city because I'm very likely coming here in the fall. I'm just here today (Monday 3/5), Tuesday and Wednesday. But for those that are already here, are there any particular events/things I should check out?

Thanks!

Hi All-

I was excited to find this thread (even though it got a bit intense for awhile there!).

I'm an American visiting Edmonton from Los Angeles right now to see the school/city because I'm very likely coming here in the fall. I'm just here today (Monday 3/5), Tuesday and Wednesday. But for those that are already here, are there any particular events/things I should check out?

Thanks!

This week in Edmonton is Downtown Dining Week. If you look it up, there are a lot of delicious restaurants with pretty decently priced food in the downtown area. I recommend making reservations if you plan on eating at one of them, though. Other than that, I'm not too sure what's going on.

This week in Edmonton is Downtown Dining Week. If you look it up, there are a lot of delicious restaurants with pretty decently priced food in the downtown area. I recommend making reservations if you plan on eating at one of them, though. Other than that, I'm not too sure what's going on.

Ok thank you!

• 2 months later...

hi i have got an offer of admission in U of A, for MS in Internetworking.

I am from India, i am excited about moving to Edmonton, can somebody tell me about the work opportunities available, how can i start looking for a job and accommodation. And how i can look for fellow roommates, as i don't know anybody in Alberta yet..

• 2 years later...

This thread is fairly old, but I hope there are people familiar with Edmonton who can offer some tips. Especially when it comes to finding a flat/room. I won't be able to arrive before the last week of August, so I'm not sure what's the best way to go when it comes to finding a place to stay. 

• 3 years later...

Hello!

Glad to have found this post, albeit nearly a decade later. I have been accepted into U of A, but have not accepted the offer of admission yet. One of my biggest concerns is the high cost of living reported about the city. I have received a yearly stipend offer of 35,000 CAD, of which nearly 9,000 will be tuition. My estimations, based on the expense approximations reported by several sources (the Internet, friends and colleagues living in other parts of Canada), indicate that 26000 CAD will definitely be hard to get by for me and my kindergarten age son (I will be needing to avail paid child care, of course).

Any Edmontonians out there who might be able to throw some more realistic light onto my situation?

P.S: I am expecting an offer from Western Uni (London, ON) as well. It might just get down to Edmonton vs London in a week or so.

P.S2: I should also mention that I am an International student who has never stayed in Canada before

Edited by dreamer33

I've also been accpeted to U of A (MA program) and am very curious about living in Edmonton! Really hoping that there are still some people active on here that can share their experience with the city.

I have lived in/just outside of Edmonton for my whole life. I attended the U of A for undergrad and will likely be returning for grad school. Although I am not the person to ask about the cost of living, I will answer any questions I can. 

I have also received an admission from U of A, and they would provide me about 26000CAD as TA+RA. I want to know whether the money is enough for a single man living in Edmonton? The "Tuition & Cost of Living Estimates" website of U of A suggests that the living cost for an adult is about 21320~28640CAD per year. Is the estimation accurate?