Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

So I've been lurking here this whole season, but I haven't really posted since last year.

I got an e-mail today in which a professor asked me if we could Skype to "talk with you some more about your application" for 10-15 minutes. Do you guys think this is an interview? It seems too short. I'm just confused because I didn't have an interview for this program last year, and they notified everyone (accepts, waitlists, and rejections) via e-mail. Maybe they're trying something new? It's hard to know how I should prepare to talk with her.

It's probably an informal interview. It means that they are interested in your application and want to get a better feel for who you are. Perhaps there is something unusual about your application that they would like to clarify? Most of my interviews were (as it turned out) with schools that I had less of a good fit with, and the main questions were why I applied there, what I wanted to study, and who I wanted to work with. Those would be the questions I think you should prepare for - what are your interests, what work have you done in the past (anything in your SOP), what do you want to study in the future, and why there (including, who do you want to work with).

It's probably an informal interview. It means that they are interested in your application and want to get a better feel for who you are. Perhaps there is something unusual about your application that they would like to clarify? Most of my interviews were (as it turned out) with schools that I had less of a good fit with, and the main questions were why I applied there, what I wanted to study, and who I wanted to work with. Those would be the questions I think you should prepare for - what are your interests, what work have you done in the past (anything in your SOP), what do you want to study in the future, and why there (including, who do you want to work with).

Thanks, fuzzylogician! You're always very helpful. I would definitely say the fit isn't super clear with this school, so that makes sense.

Just got my acceptance from Stony Brook. Though I've decided to go to another school, I still think this program is one of the best fit. In fact, my POI in SB and POI in the other program were both from UCLA at 1990ish (probably even from the same cohort! ) and they have collaborated on a lot of work, including editing The Handbook of Lab Phonology. And they have amazing professors in the Psychology department who I really want to work with. Don't know how to turn this down ((But will gather my courage to do it!) and whether I should attend their open house. Hope I'll have the opportunity to work with them in the future!

Edited by longforit

Just got my acceptance from Stony Brook. Though I've decided to go to another school, I still think this program is one of the best fit. In fact, my POI in SB and POI in the other program were both from UCLA at 1990ish (probably even from the same cohort! ) and they have collaborated on a lot of work, including editing The Handbook of Lab Phonology. And they have amazing professors in the Psychology department who I really want to work with. Don't know how to turn this down ((But will gather my courage to do it!) and whether I should attend to their open house. Hope I'll have the opportunity to work with them in the future!

Congrats longforit! That's really exciting. Sounds like you will get a chance to be involved in collaborations between departments/faculty. Yay. :)

Congrats longforit! That's really exciting. Sounds like you will get a chance to be involved in collaborations between departments/faculty. Yay. :)

Thanks! I really hope so! Both of them are doing p-p interface but from slightly different approaches, both of which are very interesting. Do you think it is possible to attend their Open house (well they haven't decided whether there will be one, but if they had one..) even if I accepted another school's offer? I know it's not very "ethical " to do so and it will hurt others' chance, but I really want to meet the POI and start to establish the network... But maybe I'll have the chance after all in the future since the two programs are close (geographically) and the two POI work closely. Welllllll... Need time to think what to do.

I got accepted from CUNY and invited to Open house. was not expecting this at all! FYI didn't have an interview.

Congrats yeonju123!!! :)   I got waitlisted at CUNY and invited to their open house, however they made no mention of travel reimbursement... so maybe they're only paying for the people who actually got admitted to go? could you let me know if they offered any reimbursements?

I'd love to come to the open house, but I'm afraid I my grad student budget might not allow it :(

Thanks! I really hope so! Both of them are doing p-p interface but from slightly different approaches, both of which are very interesting. Do you think it is possible to attend their Open house (well they haven't decided whether there will be one, but if they had one..) even if I accepted another school's offer? I know it's not very "ethical " to do so and it will hurt others' chance, but I really want to meet the POI and start to establish the network... But maybe I'll have the chance after all in the future since the two programs are close (geographically) and the two POI work closely. Welllllll... Need time to think what to do.

Can you visit SB before or after an open house/visit at Cornell? I wouldn't go just to meet your POI there if you're 100% set on the other school. I'm sure she'd be glad to meet you another time! Either way, you have time to consider your options. :)

Congrats to those who got accepted :) 

I got accepted from CUNY and invited to Open house. was not expecting this at all! FYI didn't have an interview.

I got accepted too, but I'm kinda confused. I mean I didn't get an email or a letter by my mail. I just checked online. So what do you think of this? Does that mean I'm not formally accepted?? 

Congrats yeonju123!!! :)   I got waitlisted at CUNY and invited to their open house, however they made no mention of travel reimbursement... so maybe they're only paying for the people who actually got admitted to go? could you let me know if they offered any reimbursements?

I'd love to come to the open house, but I'm afraid I my grad student budget might not allow it :(

I got admitted but didn't get an invitation or email for that matter.  If I ever get an email, I'll notify you about the reimbursement info. 

Can you visit SB before or after an open house/visit at Cornell? I wouldn't go just to meet your POI there if you're 100% set on the other school. I'm sure she'd be glad to meet you another time! Either way, you have time to consider your options. :)

Yes probably a better idea. I wouldn't have time for the visit either (if it's not during my spring break week)..  

Edited by longforit

Also, if it's on the website, I'm sure you're formally accepted!  was it the MA or the PhD? maybe they do things differently for each... 

It was an offer for the MA.  You are right may be the process is a bit different for the MA .

I think I'll just wait for a week if I didn't get at least an email by then, I know I'll be in panic mode  :blink:   

wishing you all the best in your upcoming  admission results. 

I got accepted into CUNY's PhD program via a letter from the program director. Definitely possibly that notification is different for MA (but congrats to all!)

Congrats to those who got accepted :)

I got accepted too, but I'm kinda confused. I mean I didn't get an email or a letter by my mail. I just checked online. So what do you think of this? Does that mean I'm not formally accepted?? 

I am not sure :(. I got email from the office with invitation for open house. I guess you'd better check by emailing them :)

I got admitted but didn't get an invitation or email for that matter.  If I ever get an email, I'll notify you about the reimbursement info. 

Could you let me know as well??? I also emailed to the office. I will also let you know when I get reply.