Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

I wonder if there's a way we can get a refund from our rejects...

I think the only thing that was in a bold, capital, and color font in application websites was: "THE FEE IS NON REFUNDABLE". They have the priorities straight... ;P

I just got a rejection from UMASS-Amherst. didn't even know which university it was until i checked the address... 

Applied: NYU, UMASS-Amherst, UIUC, UCONN, Rutgers Univ., Cornell Univ., CUNY, U Delaware

Interviews

Wait-listed:

Admitted :

Rejected (1/6): UMass-Amherst [Linguistics]

•  
Edited by yeonju123

Oh, I'll take whiskey over ...nothing. A single malt would be nice. (Hi all! Misery loves company, and anxiety is pretty close to misery.)

Has anyone else not heard back from ANY of their applications? Getting really frustrated here.

I've only heard back from one school. The other two I applied to said they aren't even looking at applications until mid-february to early march! It's killing me! I was hoping to have made a decision by now, and that one acceptance I have is still looming over my head as I wait for the others.

Has anyone else not heard back from ANY of their applications? Getting really frustrated here.

I applied to 8 programs and have only heard from one (an interview) so far. Hoping for news soon! But I guess no news is good news, right? 

I've only heard back from one school. The other two I applied to said they aren't even looking at applications until mid-february to early march! It's killing me! I was hoping to have made a decision by now, and that one acceptance I have is still looming over my head as I wait for the others.

Well as long as the deadline to accept the acceptance is after the deadline to find out about the other 2 unis, you're okay I guess. But it wouldn't hurt to try to predict your acceptance chances at the the other 2

Good to know that I'm not alone. I only applied to four schools (couldn't afford more), and it's driving me nuts to not know where things are going. I mean, come on, why do you have a December 1 deadline if you are not planning on looking at the thing before March anyway??

I saw from the results board that UCLA and UMass were sending out news! I haven't applied to either of them. But good luck to everyone here!

Edited by Robertpt

I saw from the results board that UCLA and UMass were sending out news! I haven't applied to either of them. But good luck to everyone here!

During my lecture today I was telling the class about Peter Ladefoged making a model of his vocal tract by filling it with "wax" and soon after I noticed I got an email from UCLA. How appropriate! Must be a sign. :P

But seriously, I'm still in shock. Thanks!

I'm having a weird problem. A school I didn't apply to has been sort of hounding me... And they won't stop! About a month ago I got a call from one of their grad students (unsolicited) and I told them I was not interested because the program was not in my exact subfield and I'd have to take a lot of pre-reqs. Then I got an email from their graduate director asking me to apply and I told him the same thing. He insisted the pre-reqs wouldn't be a big deal, and since then, he's emailed me twice a week for almost a month. They just won't stop and the emails are getting more and more aggressive! (The first were "I hope you apply!" and the new ones are "Here's my personal cell number, let me see your SOP as soon as possible.")

They got my info through ETS, so the ONLY thing they know about me is my test scores. My research interests and background are completely irrelevant to this school! I don't understand why they just can't take the hint and leave me alone. Has anyone had this problem?

Edited by wardword

I haven't responded since the very first email when I told him I wasn't interested. And you're right, it'll obviously stop in about two weeks when their deadline is past, but it does sort of bug me. It just makes me wonder how many other people they are doing this to! I wish I got so much attention from the schools I actually applied to.

Well, there's no shame in applying and getting accepted to a place that's desperate for you (especially if you don't see any bright expectations/acceptances from your desired programs)

Congrats! Hope you can come to our prospective visit weekend. We go all out for it :-)

Thanks! Of course I'll come! Looking forward to meeting you all (I've acutally been to the building several times ;) )!