Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

Just FYI--I was in touch with the DGS of English at the CUNY Graduate Center today and she said not to expect results from them until third week of February.  HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SURVIVE UNTIL THEN!

Hope all the best for everybody!

As the final decision dates of some schools is approaching, I grow more panic everyday... Do you think it's wise to send inquiry emails to the departments? Like..even before anybody reports anything about the school on this forum.. It's a Friday and it'll take another two days to go into the next cycle of waiting and being panic... Wish it ends soon. :(

I've been considering writing to the departments too... However, I personally think that sending a mail asking about results when they're still on time would be seen as being kind of a pain in the ass annoying...

I think it's better to try to cope with anxiety at least until some results are posted and one knows for sure that they're sending invites to interviews/rejections/admissions...

I know that transcripts are some of the last things to get matched up, but I submitted all of my materials early for UMD and my transcripts are still marked as missing, three weeks after the deadline. Is anyone else having this problem?

I'm trying really hard to stay calm and not freak out about this. I emailed the DGS as they suggest on the website. All I can do is hope they made it somehow and the website is just really out of date. *Breathing* 

I don't think it's a problem. Mine are still marked as missing, however, I've already had an interview with someone from Maryland. Either they don't care much about transcripts at this stage, or the website is lagging behind.

I don't think it's a problem. Mine are still marked as missing, however, I've already had an interview with someone from Maryland. Either they don't care much about transcripts at this stage, or the website is lagging behind.

That is a huge relief. I hope your interview went well!

Good luck! I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but the only places where I had a pre-admissions interview were the ones that were not as good a fit, and the main question we covered in various ways was "why did you apply here?" -- and honestly they were the places that after the interviews I realized were really not places I wanted to be. I ended up withdrawing my application from two such schools. I know that others got admitted without an interview to those universities. So -- not having an interview doesn't have to mean that you don't have a chance! 

I also just want to say how much this comment has helped keep me calm in the past few days. Not only because schools on my list have done interviews and I didn't get one, but also because it underscores how it is possible that this process will be different for every applicant, sometimes even within schools! Also it reminds me to try not to make any snap judgments on other people's experience, and it isn't over until i'ts over.

As always, Fuzzy, you are a godsend to this community!

haha thank you guys for stopping me from clicking the "send" bottom! 

Onzeheures: can I ask when did you receive the interview invitation from NYU? Do you have any idea if they've sent all the invitations? 

and does anyone have any news from UMichigan? Today is supposed to be their "notice" Friday. Little variance in the past 6 years...

Onzeheures: can I ask when did you receive the interview invitation from NYU? Do you have any idea if they've sent all the invitations? 

and does anyone have any news from UMichigan? Today is supposed to be their "notice" Friday. Little variance in the past 6 years...

I received the interview request on Wednesday, January 22, and we had a Skype conversation with two NYU faculty members earlier today. I don't know for sure if they have sent out all interview requests, but I don't think it's a good idea to pester them with e-mails about interviews at the moment. From what I know (based on my conversations with faculty from various US linguistics depts) they might be still looking through the applications, which means they are very busy at the moment. I am very impatient and nervous myself, but I think that waiting is the best option at the moment =) 

I have just received an e-mail from Rochester, asking for an interview during the weekend. Does anyone know what kind of questions should I expect? It wasn't my POI who ask for the interview, but another professor in the Linguistcs department (Rochester doen't have a Linguistics PhD..., but they have a department and you can pursue a joint degree). 

Should I read some of his papers? Should I go through my whole application package and try to figure out possible questions regarding strengths and weaknesses? Should I try to relax?!

Thanks, everyone, and good luck! Good things come to those who wait, =)

Should I read some of his papers? Should I go through my whole application package and try to figure out possible questions regarding strengths and weaknesses? Should I try to relax?!

There are lots of threads you could read on the forum about possible questions. My suggestion is: 

- Know what's in your application, especially your SOP. They may ask "tell me about this thing you wrote."

- Know the answer to the common questions that are sure to come up - "tell me about yourself," "what do you want to study," "why here," "what are your goals."

- Don't read other professors' papers, that won't come up and it's not expected. 

- Relax!! 

Thanks, fuzzylogician! You're the best! I will go through threads and prepare for the interview..., but tomorrow. Today, I think I've earned myself some wine!

There are lots of threads you could read on the forum about possible questions. My suggestion is: 

- Know what's in your application, especially your SOP. They may ask "tell me about this thing you wrote."

- Know the answer to the common questions that are sure to come up - "tell me about yourself," "what do you want to study," "why here," "what are your goals."

- Don't read other professors' papers, that won't come up and it's not expected. 

- Relax!! 

Notice Friday? Does that mean that they send out interview requests by email or post rejections on their application site like OSU does?

There are two notices on the result page. I did not get anything. I assume I got rejected... :(

Good luck! I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but the only places where I had a pre-admissions interview were the ones that were not as good a fit, and the main question we covered in various ways was "why did you apply here?" -- and honestly they were the places that after the interviews I realized were really not places I wanted to be. I ended up withdrawing my application from two such schools. I know that others got admitted without an interview to those universities. So -- not having an interview doesn't have to mean that you don't have a chance! 

I hope this applies to UMich

Something tells me if we don't get interview invites, we will be rejected....

Here is the info from UMich's website:

Q: When does UM Linguistics hold the recruitment weekend? 
A:  The Recruitment weekend usually takes in late February, although specific dates may vary from year to year.  Candidates are included by invitation only. Activities begin early in the morning on Thursday and run through the evening on Friday. Therefore, travel for invited candidates is normally arranged for Wednesday and Saturday.

I just did a Skype interview which I had been pretty nervous about. It turned out they mostly just wanted me to clarify my prior background in linguistics for them. And then the rest of the conversation was just informal chatting about the program/research, etc. Just thought I'd throw that out there as another possible reason for an interview because I wasn't actually anticipating that!

Did you had an interview at McGill? Congratulations! That's a great place , =) I am currently collaborating in a project with a professor  and a post-doc there. 

Regarding your comment, I had an interview yesterday at Rochester, and we also spent most of the time talking about my background in research (my current and previous one) and the linguistics concepts that it involved. It was a nice talk, but be prepared to be asked about theory, guys!

Good luck!

I'm not sure if it will help anyone, but I have a phone interview tonight with UVA. I'll drop back in and modify my post with a general synopsis. Good luck, everyone!

Did you had an interview at McGill? Congratulations! That's a great place , =) I am currently collaborating in a project with a professor  and a post-doc there. 

Regarding your comment, I had an interview yesterday at Rochester, and we also spent most of the time talking about my background in research (my current and previous one) and the linguistics concepts that it involved. It was a nice talk, but be prepared to be asked about theory, guys!

Good luck!

Oh yeah, good point. I actually did have to know what I was talking about when we discussed research! That was important, naturally. Fortunately I like talking about my speciality and they're up to some cool stuff at McGill! :)