Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

haha thank you guys for stopping me from clicking the "send" bottom! 

Onzeheures: can I ask when did you receive the interview invitation from NYU? Do you have any idea if they've sent all the invitations? 

and does anyone have any news from UMichigan? Today is supposed to be their "notice" Friday. Little variance in the past 6 years...

I got an email from my POI at UMichigan this past Friday, inviting me to the campus visit weekend next month (I posted on the results page already). I don't know anything else about it yet, just what the email said- they made a shortlist of potential students and are inviting all those students out for that weekend. I don't know if that's 10 people or 30, or somewhere in between. And out of my 8 applications, it's the only place I've heard from so far. I'm new to this thread but all this uncertainty is killing me so I just felt like I needed to join in and contribute whatever I have to far! Best of luck, everyone. Cheers!

Edited by leesies

Thank you so much Leesies! All the best to your campus visit!

(Somebody should invent some panic-killers for us..)

Seriously.. Maybe we should go post on some chemistry threads and tell them to get on it! They'd make a killing!

Edited by leesies

If I don't get another call or email from them tomorrow should I contact the dept? I should really say who I am in my voicemail message... Ugh.

I wouldn't fret. They won't pass you over just because you didn't pick up your phone. Keep your phone close tomorrow... in the worst case, they'll just email you if they can't reach you. I'm sure you'll hear soon.

I wouldn't fret. They won't pass you over just because you didn't pick up your phone. Keep your phone close tomorrow... in the worst case, they'll just email you if they can't reach you. I'm sure you'll hear soon.

Thanks! I'm just overly nervous. Obviously. :)

Hi, all! Officially joining this conversation.

LinguisticMystic, I did an interview with McGill too and my interests also lie in phonetics, psycholinguistics and variation. Good luck to you!

Leesies, I am also going to the open house at Michigan. What's your field?

I am very fortunate to have some interview/openhouse opportunities (along with two rejections), but still so nervous until the final results come out. Hopefully March is over soon, and everyone here gets to go to where they aimed for!

Edited by Robertpt

LinguisticMystic, I did an interview with McGill too and my interests also lie in phonetics, psycholinguistics and variation. Good luck to you!

I am very fortunate to have some interview/openhouse opportunities (along with two rejections), but still so nervous until the final results come out. Hopefully March is over soon, and everyone here gets to go to where they aimed for!

Hi Robert! Nice to see you here! Now we have three lab phonologists, all attended to the summer Institute!.. How amazing! Edited by longforit

I didn't apply to Cornell - but did all 15 enroll? I think a lot of programs admit around 10-15 people expecting only a few to actually go... :)   But yeah, I have similar concerns about Chicago!

Did anyone else hear from Stanford?

That's great! My interviewer mentioned that there was a handful of people with similar interests that they were considering. I'd love to see their department continue to grow in that direction (well, mostly if I get accepted and decide to attend, that is!). Go lab phon!

ETA: Now I wait for "mysterious Palo Alto phone number" to call me back (hopefully). Eek.

Edited by LinguisticMystic

I didn't apply to Cornell - but did all 15 enroll? I think a lot of programs admit around 10-15 people expecting only a few to actually go... :)   But yeah, I have similar concerns about Chicago!

Did anyone else hear from Stanford?

I applied to Chicago too :) What's the situation of Chicago last year? Did they also enroll many students?

I applied to Chicago too :) What's the situation of Chicago last year? Did they also enroll many students?

I think Chicago enrolled 9 kids last year (I have also applied and am interested in the results there), and 11 the year before, and those are relatively large classes, historically speaking. Best regards, /B/

Ohh I'm so anxious to hear from them!  :)  Someone told me last year they offered admission to a LOT of people as well... not sure how many, or how many actually enrolled. But hopefully that won't have any effect on this year's cycle!

I'm pretty sure Northwestern cancelled applications this time around because they had too many incoming students last year... they said they're "restructuring the program". :)

Ohh I'm so anxious to hear from them!   :)  Someone told me last year they offered admission to a LOT of people as well... not sure how many, or how many actually enrolled. But hopefully that won't have any effect on this year's cycle!

I'm pretty sure Northwestern cancelled applications this time around because they had too many incoming students last year... they said they're "restructuring the program". :)

I was so bummed about Northwestern! I was having a really nice chat with my POI, and one of the collaborators from the project my dissertation grew out of was moving to the department, and it was looking really positive. And then boom! My POI found out they couldn't accept any students for this cycle. Sad days. 

For a different program I had a DGS tell me I was going to get an interview call from another prof and I haven't heard from them and I'm getting all kinds of crazy doubts now. I wish we could just know!